RADCAT Case Directory
  Category 9, RADAR  
Rating: 5  


RADCAT is a revitalized special project now being conducted jointly by NICAP & Project 1947 with the help and cooperation of the original compiler of RADCAT, Martin Shough, to create a comprehensive listing of radar cases with detailed documentation from all previous catalogues, including UFOCAT and original RADCAT.

Two Radars Track 900 MPH Target
Aug. 26, 1951
Larson AFB, Washington

Brad Sparks:
Aug. 26, 1951; Larson AFB, Washington (BBU)
8:28 [00:28 ??] a.m. [double 8-hour PST conversion?] Two radars tracked 900 mph unidentified target at 13,000 ft heading NW. Attempted scramble of F-86 interceptor too late. (McDonald list; FUFOR Index; cf. Ruppelt pp. 96-98, 108-109)

Dan Wilson 
August 26, 1951; Larson AFB, Washington  
At 8:28 a.m. PST, an object was picked up on an AN/CPS-1 radar set and an AN/CPS-4 radar set. The object was tracked continuously for a period of six minutes at an estimated altitude of 13,000 feet and a speed of 950 mph. Initial pickup was at 0828U (Uniform Time Zone or PST) and the last plot was at 0836U. An F-86 was scrambled but radar contact was lost before the aircraft was airborne. An electronic signal was received from this object that appeared to be a mode one response from an AN/APX-6 transponder. This response was received twice at approx.115 miles and at 80 miles from the radar station.

Francis Ridge:
Notice that Air Force documents say that TWO radars picked up the object and tracked it at 900 mph. Yet, the AF tried to explain this event as "electronic interference".

Did a huge flying wing pass over Albuquerque and travel 250 miles to Lubbock in about fifteen minutes? This would be about 900 miles per hour. Did the radar station in Washington pick up the same thing? I'd checked the distances on the big wall map in flight operations just before leaving Reese AFB. It was 1,300 miles from Lubbock to the radar site. From talking to people, we decided that the lights were apparently still around Lubbock at 11:20 P.M. and the radar picked them up just after midnight. They would have had to be traveling about 780 miles per hour. This was fairly close to the 900-mile-per-hour speed clocked by the two radars. The photos of the Lubbock Lights checked with the description of what the AEC employee and his wife had seen in Albuquerque.

NICAP Home Page