Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:58:33 -0600
From: francis ridge <>
Subject: April 7, 1967; The North Dade Affair, APRO 10

The following pdf files contain the links to articles below and are now housed on the NICAP site for security reasons.

The text for the articles is provided below for web-search purposes.

THE A.P.R.O. BULLETIN, March/April 1967 pg. 10
The North Dade Affair

Although at this writing the incident is still being investigated, we will present the basic details of the alleged landing or near landing adjacent to the North Dade Elementary School in Opalocka, Florida. We would like to thank A. K. Breast of Miami for his quick reporting.

On the 7th of April at a little after 10 a. m., a UAO was purportedly observed by two teachers and a group of elementary school children. According to newspaper reports, the object appeared in a tree-dotted field. Mrs. Virginia Martin, a 6th grade teacher, didn't pay much attention when the object was first brought to her attention as she was busy trying to get them in line. A large number of the 200 children at morning recess were running toward the school fence, pointing and trying to get her attention. According to the Miami Herald, the ob ject was seen by fourth grade teacher Bob Apfal, Mrs. Martin, and sixth grade teacher Mrs. Marian Waters, and it was hovering above the ground behind a pine tree in an open field.

Mrs. Martin told the Herald: ,,It seemed to move in toward the school, then went straight back and dropped below a pine tree. It came up again and went westward." Also: "It was oval-shaped and seemed to hover." While Mrs. Martin hesitated to tack the label "flying saucer" to the object, Bob Apfal had no qualms, said: "It was a flying saucer." Apfal claimed Friday was the second consecutive day that he and his students saw UFOS north of the school grounds. He said they were metallic appearing.

The teachers' afternoon of Friday was spent being interviewed by AF investigators from Homestead AFB.

Later on Friday a Mrs. Mary Troesser called the Miami Herald and said that she had seen an oval object with red lights just over the trees in the direction of Crestview Elementary School.

To continue our log of the Crestview event:

Mr. Breast heard the news of the sighting at noon on Friday, the 7th, and at 1:30 p.m. he went to Crestview Elementary School in Opalocka, Dade County, (on the northwest edge of Miami). He learned that unidentified objects had been seen on two days, Thursday and Friday. The only data he could secure was that the object was "larger than a kite" and when he requested to speak to the principal he was informed that Homestead AFB had been contacted and that an investigator was being sent out and that no information would be given out. He did not even learn the name of the teacher who witnessed the UFO with the school boys on Thursday,

This seems to be a part of a strange series of events. A day or two before the alleged incident, according to verv reIiable informants in the area, a "psyhic" or "mystic" predicted, on radio that UFOs would be seen in the vicinitv. Apparently one male teacher was on the lookout for the objects, and had the chrldren outside searching the skies. .

The initial story appeared in ihe 8 April edition of the Miami Herald. Since then, a teacher who has an agent friend. was attempting to sell the stoiy to a New York-based magazine.

Qn the 13th, John Wolf, 42, printer and student at Dade Junior Coitege, reported that he and his sons, just back from a Scout Camporee, were in the yard back of his home on the Bth of April and saw three or four objects hovering just beyond a line of tiees near Crestview Elementary School. According to Bill Barry of the Miami News, there were 30 or 40 people, mostly adults, standing around on the deadend road and in the field looking to the north. Some had binoculars. When John Wolf looked he saw the objects also ---three or four of them hovering just behind a line of trees. They appeared to change shape from oval to cigar-shape and back again, the observers told Barry. They appeared as globs of white with red flashes and transparent domes on top not unlike the glass dome on a coffee pot.

Wolf said that at the same time he watched the objects he could see aircraft from North Perry Airport flying around. He could make out the detail of the airplanes but there was litfle detail on the objects. "When a plane approached one of the objects it ,,just was not there anymore." When the plane left the thing would reappear and always in the same spot.

Wolf claimcd he watched the objects for nearly an hour, went home and got his wife. She didn't believe him until she looked and saw them for herself.

Weather conditions included a bright clear sky with few clouds. The objects seemed to be below the clouds, made no sound, left no trail. Toward afternoon the objects slowed their activity and then went away. Wolf used naked eye observation and 7X50 binoculars, which indicates the objects were a considerable distance away as he was not able to obtain resolution for detail.

The Air Force announced that what everyone saw on Friday (the day before Wolf's sighting) near Crestview Elementary was a Coast Guard helicopter. Wolf states firmly, however, that what he saw was not a helicopter-besides, there were no helicopters in the area on Saturday.


APRO BULLETIN May-June 1967, pg. 8

More On fhe Norfh Dade lncident

Subsequent to the issuance of the March-April Bulletin, Dr. Irving Lillien and Mr. Arthur Breast of Miami contacted the principals in the sightings on April 6, 7 and 8 at Crestview Elementary School and forwarded additional information. Sketches obtained from pupils at the school show much similarity one to another.

Crestview Elementary school is 4 miles (See "North, Dade" - Page 9)

North Dade
(Continued from Page 8)

northeast of the OpaLocka airport which is the location of Coast Guard, Navy and FAA installations, 10 miles northeast of Miami, Florida, International Airport, 4 miles north of North Perry airport and 9 miles southwest of Broward International Airport. There is a huge concentration of radio transmitter towers in the general area north of Crestview,,, and several towers immediately to the east and west of the school. At Carol City, about 3 miles to the west-southwest is a large Nike missile station. A high tension power line runs quite close by, less than a half mile from Crestview.

Unfortunately we must abbreviate Dr. Lillien's very complete report. just touching on the main facts, and occasionally noting his observations, one of which is that "The sightings at Crestview may prove to be among the most important recorded since the objects were seen by over 200 children and adults for prolonged periods of time over a period of several days in broad daylight."

Dr.Lillien carefully checked atmospheric and astronomical conditions and ruled out associated phenomena. He also pointed out that in an area where there is a proliferation of ordinary sky objects such as planes. helicopters and even an occasional blimp. the witnesses were ABSOLUTELY SURE that the phenomena they observed was completely unlike anything they had seen before.

The first sighting took place on the 6th of April, and was made by 33-year-old Robert Apfal, a teacher at Crestview, and several students. Apfal was not famaliar with UFO lore prior to hls sighting. At 12:45 on the 6th he and six students were outside a portable classroom in the Crestview yard facing northeast. They spotted an aluminum-appearing, slightly reflective ellipsoid which Apfai described as two lenses back to back with no markings, lights or details. It appeared stationary, about 60 feet above the ground over a telephone pole about a mile away, the "size of a 50 cent piece at arm's length."  It disappeared suddenly as they watched. no sound, air movement. shadows or other related phenomena were observed.

At about 8:30 the next morning Mr. Apfal was arriving at his classroom when some of the chlldren, some excited, crying or hysterical, said they had seen something. Apfal calmed the class, had them sketch what they had seen. The drawings generally agreed with one another, depicting a turreted structure rmong the tops of the trees. These were later turned over to investigators from Homestead Air Force Base. The only disagreement concerning description - was in the "antenna" on the turret. All agreed there was one object, it "fIipped" and appeared to land on the trees. No sound, no markings. The object appeared to be at a distance of 150-200 yards in the field directly north of the school. This object also disappeared while it was being watched.

Apfal was not involved in subsequent sightings that day, in fact he pulled the blinds in his classroom when it was learned that there was another sighting.

The next series of sightings was witnessed by school teachers and apparently by women in the area, both groups reluctant to be interviewed. Despite his attempts Dr. Lillien was not able to contact the teachers or the women and merely questioned the children. However, parents of some of the students who saw the object said they knew of other adults who had witnessed the object. At 9:45 A.M. Andy Cohen, 12, one of those interviewed by Dr. Lillien, was in his classroom. Some girls rushed in, said "flying saucers" were being watched and along with the others, Andy ran outside. Several classes were outside milling around, Iooking to the north beyond the school fence. Teachers were trying to get the children to line up in an orderly manner. Andy did not see anything immediately, then spotted four cigar-shaped objects with white lights on each end. One hovered over trees, then went down behind them, then took off again. Another came straight across the sky, going up and down (wavy motion). Another seemed to be chasing an airplane. When they left they went off at an angle and just disappeared. Most children described the objects as white, Cohen claimed there was one white, one black, one red and one silver object. There were no markings, portholes, domes or other lights; the objects did not change shape nor did the lights at the end change in intensity. There was no sound. Although several children called the newspaper after school that day, it was Andy Cohen's call that alerted the Miami newspaper and resulted in the initial press coverage.

Jimmy Hummel, 11, another witness was also in class when he heard other children talking about the objects outside. He went out, but unlike the Cohen boy, he saw only one object: oval in shape and white with no markings, protrusions, etc., and no lights. Jimmy said the object he saw moved up, then down behind the trees; he got the impression it was hiding at times.

Joe Cornblitt, 11, also was attracted outside by other children, and when he got outside he saw a white, silvery oval-shaped object above the trees. He said it changed to a dot and then disappeared. He saw the same or similar object later low and among the trees. He never saw two objects at the same time, and he, like Hummel, thought the objects were the size of a car.

Linda McCleary, 9, described generally what the Hummel and Cornblitt boys and her brother John, described, but with a projection underneath, and a "hub-cap-shaped thing" on top. John McCleary was the only one to notice the reflection of the sunlight off the objects. He said he saw four of the things "milling around amongst the trees," circling, whipping around in fast, jerky motions. They would come back, land, go behind the trees, etc. Another witness interviewed was Jill Mires, age 11, whose story generally corroborates the aforementioned ones.

After word of the morning's sightings got out, many went to the field. One oI those interviewed was Anita Lungari, 12, who happened to be going by at 3:30 P.M. when she saw a "flash" above the trees in the field which appeared and disappeared and seemed to stay in one area.

On Saturday, April 8, some 30-40 people including John Wolf had a sighting at the same general location and descriptions match the foregoing ones (see also the March-April Bulletin).

One-week later, lhe wife of a local newspaper columnist who has been a reporter and licensed sailplane pilot, observed a metallic-appearing cigar-shaped (long and slim-unlike a blimp) object without protrusions, sound, markings, etc. while driving on Key Biscayne. It seemed to disappear. It appeared to be large and high, at least 5,000 feet. It was seen again for about one minute, after which it again disappeared.

Dr. Lillien concludes: "It is quite evident that a real, unconventional occurrence was witnessed by a large number of people of various ages in broad daylight for prolonged periods of time."