Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:38:13 -0500Air Force Figures Tell Real Story: 88.79% UnexplainedTo: News Media
|Captain Edward Ruppelt, in his 1956
book, "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects", gave
some interesting statistics on the Air Force's Project
Blue Book findings. Ruppelt's tenure was at a time when
the Air Force was putting its best foot forward and the
figures presented were based on 1,593 sightings. Less
than 20 years later, in 1969 when Blue Book closed down,
there were over 12,618 sightings on the books with 741
Unknowns. That equates to to only 5.8%. I later
found out that these figures were derived from the
Battelle Institude study which produced Project Blue
Book Special Report 14. Let's look at those figures a
little closer, the one's Ruppelt quoted in his book.
According to Ruppelt the percentage of Unknowns was 26.94%. A scientific approach to these figures shows that only 11.21% were actually proven explained (total of column 1 which represents 179 cases) leaving, in actuality, 88.79% unexplained! These Blue Book figures (during the most serious time of it's life) were based on the then 1,593 sightings the Air Force had studied.
Actually it's worse! They only "studied" 1,593 sightings, but had "received" over 4,400 with only 179 explained!!! That's less than 4% "explained"! If we were to state that a certain percentage of UFOs were "possible" or "probable" ET, the debunkers would remind us that, "scientifically", only the "proven" could be used in such an analysis. Using the Air Forces's actual numbers11.21% were proven explained, leaving over 88% without a proven explanation.
With something like that going on in U.S. air space, somebody in the Air Force should have been more concerned. This was a matter of national security and/or scientific interest.