The 1978 UFO Chronology

  TV Guide Magazine cover for 1978, courtesy of (Jim Klotz)
Map of sightings for 1978, courtesy of Larry Hatch's "U" Database (Pending)

Created: September 15, 2007; Updated 17 Aug. 2020
This is currently a 23-page chronology of UFO incidents and events for 1978
. Our thanks for these chronologies must go to Richard Hall (the original 1978 chronology from UFOE II), Dan Wilson (archive researcher), and Jean Waskiewicz (online NICAP DBase [NSID]. You will note the many foreign reports that we are now being able to access. Our special thanks to Dan Wilson for getting those to us. As more come in, this page will be updated. Previous chronologies (1947 to 1969) involved the expertise of two other team members: William Wise (Project Blue Book Archive) and Brad Sparks (Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns).

The latest entries are provided by A-Team member Mike Swords.
I picked 1978 (to start with), by the way, because that's my judgement for the year that the phenomenon generally took away the rich CE2s and old fashioned CE3s and left us with a much tougher research project. P.S. you remember 1978 was about the time when Bloecher's Humanoid Catalog project was getting word of a puzzling rise in claims of on-board experiences, and Budd Hopkins became his understudy, collected the core cases for Missing Time, and the field soon ran away to Abduction and Strieber Land. There's something important that happened there, but how much of it was "us" and how much of it was "them" is the mystery.
This was the first of the two season show called Project UFO which was an NBC television series. Based loosely on the real-life Project Blue Book, the show was created by Dragnet veteran Jack Webb, who pored through Air Force files looking for episode ideas. The show was produced by Col. William Coleman  who had had his own spectacular UFO sighting while in the Air Force.
Francis Ridge
NICAP Site Coordinator

The 1978 UFO Chronology
Jan. 1, 1978; Santa Monica, CA
1:07 PM. Veteran pilot (Hallstrom) observed metallic, clear-domed disc with several portholes/ windows. (Source: J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies, case investigation files, report dated January 18, 1978).

Jan. 5, 1978; Klamath Falls, OR
V-formation of 10 lights passed plane

Jan. 6, 1978; Santo Antonio de Caparica, Estremadura, Portugal
10:30 PM. Two men leaving a beachfront cafe saw a bright bluish light flying low over the ocean descend at a steep angle at high speed. The light then stopped, and descended more slowly into a wooded area next to a nearby campground. Both men ran into the woods, which were now illuminated by a bluish glow. Upon entering a clearing, they saw a 2.1 meter tall human-like figure, standing eight meters away from them. It wore a loose fitting silvery outfit that was shiny in appearance. The being also wore a large white helmet with a narrow black visor across the eyes. The figure seemed surprised by their presence, turned around and with a heavy, slow motion walked back towards a metallic blue, saucer-shaped craft with a dome on top, that was hovering very close to the ground. Both men became frightened and fled in panic from the clearing. During the encounter one of the men felt a buzzing sound inside his head, and later suffered from insomnia. The next day an eight meter in diameter circle was found in the ground in the clearing. (Sources: UNICAT database, case 609, citing Galaxia 2000; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 108, citing Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos & Fernandez Peri, Enciclopedia de los Encuentros Cercanos con Ovnis).

Jan. 9-10, 1978; South Middleton, MA
Humanoid case (section XII).

Jan.10, 1978; near Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
4:00 AM. A 25-year-old man name Price observed two irregularly shaped bright yellow objects in the night sky while driving near Grafton. One of the objects approached and appeared to slowly move down a mountainside. It seemed to periodically issue a "shower of sparks". This initial sighting lasted for about 20 minutes. The man then drove on but had difficulty recollecting the next part of his journey. Some 30 minutes later he observed a very bright object that looked like a "chicken coop" at a place called Bakers Creek Falls, near Armidale, New South Wales. The object was on the ground, stationary for 10 minutes, and then it moved. It was a very large elongated object with "portholes", hovering over the ground. He took photographs but they only show a blurred yellow shape. Mr. Price next got out of his car and set off walking into the paddock to try to get closer to the object. However, as he got nearer the object appeared to retreat into an extensive fog. The witness advanced and saw the fog retreating out of the ravine. Suddenly the movement of the fog stopped and returned along its original path towards him. It quickly enveloped him, reducing visibility to less than 10 feet. The fog was accompanied by a sound similar to a vacuum cleaner. Then the fog quickly dissipated along with the sound, leaving the witness alone. He returned to his car in the morning and noticed two "shockwaves" one minute apart, as if the whole area was suddenly shaken, and then normality. The witness could not recollect up to an hour of the journey despite traveling on a twisting and turning road, which presumably required the driver's constant attention. (Sources: ACOS Bulletin, September 1978, p. 27; Thomas E. Bullard, UFO Abductions: The Measure of a Mystery, case 248; Mark Moravec, PSIUFO Phenomena)

Jan. 10, 1978; Chicago, IL
12:25 AM. A 31-year-old paramedic was driving to pick up her husband (a policeman) from work when the 3-year-old son drew her attention to a "moving star" nearly overhead. At destination a few seconds later she noted a silver disc-shaped object ("with teacups on top and bottom of saucer") as large as a full moon moving forward with yellow-orange trail behind as it moved. Saucer stopped, reversed direction, moved forward again and moved off behind building to which she was parked. Trail only visible while object was in motion. 1-2 minutes.  (IUR,3,2)

Jan. 11, 1978; Los Angeles, CA
Sphere flew below Cessna 150

Jan. 15, 1978; Washinton County, IN.
7:10 PM. A single engine Sundowner flying from Evansville, Indiana to Cincinnati, Ohio, encountered a UFO flying a collision course approximately 22 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky. The pilot accompanied by his instructor and girlfriend, related that he was flying at 5,500' when he spotted two bright lights at eye level at some unknown distance ahead. Suddenly one of the white lights began to move horizontally away from the stationary light, then it made a perfect circle, and then another, while remaining at the same distance. The erratic behavior continued for several minutes, then the animated object became brighter, looking like a "blob" and began what appeared to the pilot to head in a collision course with the Sundowner, As the blob came menacingly closer, the pilot, fearful of collision dove his craft down 1,000 feet. In an instant, the white blob streaked overhead and out of view. When the pilot arrived in Cincinnati he called the Standiford Control Tower in Louisville. He was told they had no UFO confirmed by radar, but had received calls from people in the area who had seen a UFO. (MUJ-122,8).

Jan. 18, 1978; McGuire AFB, NJ
Formations of UFOs seen, MP at adjacent Fort Dix allegedly shot humanoid being, AF security police found body on deserted runway (hoax).

Jan. 24, 1978; bt. Leicester and Hinckley, England
7:00 PM. At least 17 people saw a delta-shaped object that flew low overhead, making no noise. It had steady red, blue, and yellow lights and as it headed south from Leicester it was seen by 12 more witnesses in Hinckley. There was also a sighting earlier that evening of an unusual nocturnal light by a married couple in Patcham, East Sussex, England. (Sources: Philip J. Imbrogno, Contact of the 5th Kind, p. 18; Awareness, July 1978, p. 5).

Jan. 27, 1978; Fordsham, Cheshire County, England
Early morning. Four men were out pouching in a field by the River Weaver when they sighted a silvery balloon-like object float down along the course of the river and land on the bank. It emitted a strong purplish glow that made it hard to look at. Two figures of normal height emerged. They wore silvery suits and had miners lamps on their heads, and these glowed purple. Cows on a nearby field seemed to become paralyzed and unable to move. Using a metal cage, the UFOnauts penned in one cow and seemed to measure it. The witnesses became frightened and ran from the area, and as they ran they felt a strange tingling sensation in their groins. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 519, citing Jenny Randles, Abduction).

Jan. 28, 1978; AIAA Symposium
                                                  American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics held symposium on Space
and UFOs in Los Angeles, CA.

0410 hrs (AEST.)  Up early, a witness saw a bright, white light approach from the SE. The light directly approached the witness. It was oval in shape, with two brilliant, white lights in its centre. It circled the paddock, adjacent to the farmhouse, twice, only a few metres off the ground. It passed in front of a tall, gum tree; gained elevation and speed, then departed over low hills to the NW. Duration 5 minutes. (Keith Basterfield; Tasmanian UFO Investigation Centre Newsletter, No. 24, May 1978, p.2.)

Feb. 1, 1978; NASA
NASA Information Sheet perpetuating the myth that no government agency is engaged in UFO research.

Feb. 1, 1978; Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England
10:20 PM. The witness saw a large silvery disc-shaped object shoot overhead and land behind some nearby trees. Two figures about six feet tall were next seen standing next to the landed UFO. Both were human looking wearing silvery suits. The UFO then left the area at very high speed. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 165, citing Nigel Watson, Strange Magazine # 10).

Feb. 4, 1978; Orange, CA
Dog in house responds to hovering object.

Feb. 9, 1978; Saline, MI
2:00 AM. Residents saw a boomerang or triangular object hovering near their homes. Mr. & Mrs. Sibson as well as an Air Force mechanic reported their sightings to the Center for UFO Studies. According to them it made a slight humming noise, and was the size of three 747's with a "great intensity of light coming from the center fuselage area." It flew off toward the west slowly. (Sources: CUFOS files, letter dated February 17, 1978; Philip J. Imbrogno, Contact of the 5th Kind, p. 18).

Feb. 23, 1978; Sesto Fiorentino, Toscana, Italy
Mr. & Mrs. Morello were sitting in their car listening to their car's stereo when they began getting heavy interference on the radio. Mr. Morello got out of the car to investigate and found himself engulfed in a warm, violet cloud of light. He saw four humanoid "shapes" and other lights around him. He got back into his car where he found his wife crying. They had a twenty minute lapse of missing time they couldn't account for. (Sources: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A2162, citing Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue #207; Paolo Fiorino, UFO Universe, October/November 1991).

March 1978; Minnesota
Widespread UFO sightings, including formations and disc-shaped objects with windows (section VIII).

March 10, 1978; Toledo, OH
7:30 PM (IUR,3,12)

March 10, 1978; Sylva, NC
10:10 PM. A round object with glowing blue and red lights was seen by several witnesses. It made a humming sound, gave off beeps and flew in circles at a low altitude. It finally flew off at high speed after three minutes. (Source: Sylva (North Carolina) Herald, March 16, 1978).

March 18, 1978; Summerville, SC
William J. Herrmann abduction case (section XIII).

March 29, 1978; Indianapolis, IN
9:30 PM. Truckers engulfed by "UFO" light.(MUJ-126,3)

March, 30, 1978; Near Albury, New South Wales, Australia
7:30 AM local time. Christopher Kloppenborg, age 25, and Geoffrey Kloppenborg, age 22, were out mustering sheep. They saw a very bright, stationary, chrome coloured, light above a hill. The light was casting a shadow on the hillside. They used binoculars to watch the object for five to eight minutes. "It appeared to have black shapes along its side...It seemed to be shaped like a short cigar." Geoffrey returned to the house to get a camera, and upon his return he saw a second, smaller object, travelling over the hills towards the first object. It turned in front of the bigger object, and then both departed over the hills to the east. (Source: MUFON Journal. March 1978. p.6.citing the Herald (Melbourne) dated April 8, 1978.)
April 2, 1978; Strinestown, PA
Round object with body lights hovered ahead of car, made pulsating sound; tilted down, beamed a bright light from the top onto car (section XII).

April 7, 1978; Evansville, IN
8:35 PM. At first the three boys saw two lights. They were like extra large stars, side-by-side. They watched for a couple of minutes, then continued walking. Then when they were at right angles with the lights, Brian said, "It's moving!" Then they could see four lights; two in front and two in the back. Then a blue light appeared between the two lights in the rear, and flashed about 7 or 8 times. Each flash was accompanied by a beep, then the blue light stayed on. The object was about as big as a jet and approximately 200-300' high and about 70 yards from the witnesses. The object itself was never visible, only the lights. The boys hid behind a tree and watched the thing as it moved very slowly, went about 200', slowed almost to a stop, moved again. Lights disappeared in the east after about 15-20 minutes. (Ridge files)

April 23, 1978; Goleta, CA
7:30 PM. Mrs. Castro was driving on Highway 101 when her car engine lost power, and her car radio went off. A bright light in the sky made a "zinging" sound, then dimmed to reveal four revolving green and blue lights on the UFO, estimated to be about 10 meters in diameter. The close encounter lasted three minutes. (Source: Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 72).

May 2, 1978; Escazu, Costa Rica
6:30 PM. Eduardo Enrique Lacayo, age 10, was out playing in the front yard of his uncle's house when he saw a cat. He decided to chase it as it ran towards a large empty lot across the street. As he ran towards the field he suddenly noticed a hovering silvery disc-shaped object that emitted a strong yellow light. The UFO resembled two soup plates placed together and was about 15 meters in diameter, and it was hovering at about 200 meters above the ground with a slight wobbling motion. A gray cloud-like mist emerged from the object and descended towards the ground. Stunned, Enrique watched as the mist-like vapor assumed the shape of a human-like figure that remained suspended above the ground. The figure wore a kind of "cape" or long tunic that did not reach its feet, since the witness was able to observe gold-colored lace less shoes on the figure's feet. The figure was about 170 meters tall. The cat also apparently observed the spectacle, since the animal's fur stood on end and it quickly scurried from the scene. Eduardo did not notice any facial features on the figure except what appeared to be thin lips. The figure extended its arms at him, as if beckoning him to approach, and it appeared to open its mouth. At this point the boy became afraid, and ran away quickly away. Looking back he did not see the figure again, and the UFO rose up into the sky at very high speed. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Carlos Vilchez).

May 10, 1978; Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
10:50 PM. The witness was walking home alone when he observed a very bright object in the sky that began to descend at a high speed. The object came low over a nearby fenced field, and he could now see that it was a shiny circular metallic craft within a fiery ball of flames. The craft continued to descend, and projected two bright beams of white light to the ground and extended four metallic legs. The area around the witness seemed to darken, and he felt compelled to walk towards the fence. He was quickly grabbed by two short humanoids who wore shiny white tight fitting suits. Their heads were enclosed in helmets with closed visors and with two small antennas protruding from the top. The beings spoke to the witness, then took him inside the craft. Once inside he started having difficulty breathing and noticed that the air seemed warmer and dense. The room was illuminated by a bright light. It was at this point that he noticed two more beings seated at a strange looking console. The beings walked over to him and he was surprised to see that they were female dressed in shiny white suits, with attractive capes made of the same material. These also wore helmets with antennas. They were a little taller than the other humanoids and had hair down to their shoulders. One had black hair and the other was blond. The black haired female approached the witness and told him that he was going to be taken to their planet. The witness declined the invitation and begged to be released. At this point the blond woman walked over and ordered the others to let him go. He was then allowed to walk out and down a stairway to the ground. He stood on the ground and watched while the object ascended at high speed and vanished. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, # 1621 citing Casellato, Da Silva and Stevens, UFO Abduction at Botucato).

May13, 1978; Kerman, CA
3:32 AM. Police officer Manuel Amparano was on the outskirts of Kerman, when he saw a reddish glow ahead. He drove on to investigate. Getting closer, he observed an oval-shaped object, smaller in apparent size than the full Moon, hanging silently in the sky. It was a very bright crimson red color, which despite its brightness did not hurt the eyes. Then the oval shot out a beam of blue light similar to a camera flash. The object then receded and was gone. Amparano felt "a tingling sensation" in his body as he drove to the station, but was not concerned. Upon disembarking, however, the 6 witnesses at the station noted that he was sunburned "as red as a lobster". His skin showed this disposition for about 4 hours before returning to normal. His skin showed this condition even in areas where whatever the cause was would have had to penetrate through his clothing [i.e. his skin was reddened even through his uniform]. However no "burn" was present if the car door was between him and the flash. Also, he had no "burn" on his back which was away from the car window as he peered out. Although the redness went away rapidly, there were areas where the skin was actually burned [arms, face, neck]. These were noted on a visit to Fresno Community Hospital.  These burn areas were visible for 2 days. The day following the encounter "fever blisters" broke out on his face and in places on his arms, and these lasted a week. He had discomfort from these conditions generally [burning sensations] for a week even in areas not blistered. Allegedly, doctors at the hospital told the officer that the burns looked like they could have been caused by microwave radiation, but we do not have their direct testimony on record saying that. Still, it is not a stretch to credit such a diagnosis. As far as credibility is concerned, Amparano was a Marine veteran and had spent five years on the police force. He was considered reliable, and sought no publicity. And, there were the burns; rather strong proof that something odd had occurred. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS files; "California Policeman Burned By UFO", International UFO Reporter ,vol.3, September 1978, pp.10-11; Fresno (CA) BEE, "Policeman: Illumination Burns Him Then Turns Blue, Vanishes Into Sky", May 19, 1978; and "Kerman Fireball Sighting --- A UFO?", February 23, 1979).

May 14, 1978; Pinecastle Electronic Warfare Range, Ocala, Florida
10:20 PM. 12 men witnessed a UFO with multicolored lights at the Pinecastle Tracking Station, near Ocala Forest, Florida. It hovered over trees and an old Civil Defense tower, then made a hairpin turn. It flew at only 50 to 100 feet altitude as confirmed by radar, and had red, green and white lights flashing in sequence. The Captain of the "Lisa C" on the Apalachicola River also witnessed it at 10:30 p.m. (Sources: Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, June 1978, p. 4; Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 22, 244; Xenolog, June 1978, p. 9; NICAP UFO Investigator, September 1978, p. 1).

May 15, 1978; between Caujimolpa and Obregon, Mexico 
On this cloudy evening Ignacio Sanchez Munoz, age 19, was walking along the road after finishing work at a nearby restaurant. He observed a hovering multi-colored luminous cube shaped object that was making a buzzing sound and emitting a yellow beam. He then received telepathic thoughts telling him that the cube was not occupied, but soon human-like beings would arrive on Earth. After conversing with the voice for an hour he was told, "soon we shall return to chat with you." (Source: Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, July 1978, p. 1; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1940, citing IUR).

May 17, 1978; Emilcin, Poland 
8:30 AM. At a farmhouse just eight-tenths of a kilometer from the scene of Jan Wolski's humanoid encounter the day before, a mother was preparing breakfast while her two children, Adas and Agnieska, played outside. She heard a sound like thunder which seemed to be coming from the ground. A short time later her son Adas came inside to tell her that he had seen a box-shaped aircraft, like "a little house," fly low over their barn. It then vanished by shooting up vertically with a sound like thunder. Adas said that the object was flying with its smallest wall forward, and there was a square window in this side with rounded corners through which he could see a pilot. On the edges of the side, he said, were moving, swaying black rods, like the feelers on a snail. (Sources: Xenolog, December 1978, p. 2; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Timothy Good, Alien Base).

May 24, 1978;  Tuscaloosa, AL
9:15 PM. Driving in the city a 21-year-old college student saw a metallic object nearby. His car radio experienced a burst of static as he sighted the object, which was glowing yellow-white with blue, orange, green, and yellow lights rotating on its bottom. The driver continued to drive past the object and did not see how it departed or when. (Source: Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 72, citing CUFOS).

June 4, 1978; Bellaria, Italy
11:00 PM. Motorists observed flashing lights in the woods, stopped to investigate and saw a bright red, revolving hemispherical object about 10 meters above the ground. It was approximately 10-12 meters in diameter. Next morning physical traces including a deep imprint were found at the site and separate witnesses were located. (Centro Ufologico Nazionale report)

June 10, 1978; New Paltz, NY
A dark, silent wedge-shaped object with a square formation of white lights in the back and a triangular formation of red and white lights in the front paced the car of two students, ages 21 and 19, as they drove eastbound on Route 299. The UFO turned south toward them and passed over their car. The male student got out of the car and ran underneath it, and said it was as large as his outstretched hand at arm's length. It shot off toward the southwest horizon in a few seconds time. (Source: International UFO eporter, August 1978, p. 4.)

June 11, 1978; Los Angeles, CA
1:00 PM. Cessna pilot and another witness observed small silvery oval for 10 minutes at 4500' that maneuvered near his plane (Haines printout, section III).June 12; Orrington, Maine

June 12, 1978, Orrington, Maine
11:30 PM. A teenage girl en-route to Bangor while traveling on on Route 15 encountered a huge, intense red ball of light "radiating a lot of heat" that passed over her car at Wheeler Hill, on the Orrington-Brewer town line. Witness felt a shock, then the car radio went "haywire" and the car lights went out. The witness veered off the road onto the front lawn of a private home. When no one could be raised at residence witness then flagged down a man in pick-up truck who drove her back home. Ninety minutes later, at 12:30 AM Tuesday, she reported her sighting to the Bangor Police. (Source: Bangor Daily News - Jun 15, 1978)

June 14, 1978; Williamson, WV
10:40 PM. A 60-foot diameter disc directed beams of light at two boys. The boys found they were paralyzed and couldn't move. They reported an episode of missing time. Others heard an odd noise while this was taking place. (Source: MUFON UFO Journal, June 1988).

June 24, 1978; Madison, WI
10:45 PM. Oval object with red lights circled US commercial aircraft, two witnesses at 18,000', 23 minutes. (Haines printout)

June 25, 1978; Medway, MA
8:00 PM. At an evening baseball game in a silvery-gray domed disc came down low over the field and hovered, bobbed, wobbled, and moved behind some trees. It re-emerged, wobbled and hovered again for about a minute. Its distance was about 200-300 feet from the by-standers. (Richard Hall, MUFON UFO Journal, December 1978, pg. 16).

June 26, 1978; Ayacucho, Argentina
A UFO landed for several minutes on the patio of a residence in Ayacucho, Argentina. Mr. and Mrs. Belloq--the couple who lived there--awoke to a humming noise, looked out and saw that only a few meters over the treetops was the flying disc. It had no lights and no windows, and ascended after hovering a few more minutes and flew off slowly in the direction of the city of Tandil. (Source: UFO Newsclipping Service, September 1978, p. 13; George Eberhart, A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies, p. 380)

July 4, 1978; Mt. Etna, Sicily, Italy
Four Italian Air Force witnesses. Saucer-shaped object 40' in diameter, transparent dome on top. Brightly-lighted, red in color. Two tall human-like beings. Long golden hair, wearing white robes. Three or four smaller beings with space suits and helmets. Three objects hovered in sky. One object lands. Occupants disembark from landed object.

July 4, 1978; Santa Paula, CA
3:15 PM. A small domed disc-shaped object, about 3-4 feet in diameter with rotating parts on top, made a head-on pass at two witnesses in an airplane. (Source: International UFO Reporter, August 1978, p. 4).

July 4, 1978; Los Angeles, CA
3:15 PM. US private aircraft at 2800', two witnesses, 1 minute (Haines printout)

July 4, 1978; Shaumburg, IL
3:45 PM. 34-year old school principal watched a distinctly outlined metallic sphere the size of airplane rush in from the East (Chicago) at speed faster than a/c exceptionally high. Object stopped dead over his house and remained stationary for 2-3 minutes. Then it started rising from slight veer to south until out of sight. (IUR,3,8)

July-December, 1978; Italian, South American, Middle Eastern, and Asia
UFO wave. (See separate chronology section VIII.)

July 6, 1978; Mendoza, Argentina
Car levitated, altered environment, memory loss, translocation of vehicle (sections XII, XIII).

July 8, 1978; Lempdes, Puy-de-Dome, France
Midnight. A motorist saw a sharp white gleam of light some 300 meters ahead on the road. As he came to the curve, he saw that the gleam came from a mass approximately 5 meters in height. He can not observe the base of the object, which is below the side of the road. The top was rounded in the form of a dome, surmounted by a white light. As he drove by he saw through a transparent wall in the UFO numerous human like figures wearing helmets and tight-fitting suits. He drove away but soon came back with his wife and her mother, who saw two zigzagging luminous points of reddish-orange and green lights. Ground traces were found at the site. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 1721, citing Denys Breysse, Project Becassine, and Pierre Delval, Contacts of the 4th Type).

July 8, 1978; Katta-Kurgan, Uzbekistan
11:45 PM. An 80 meter long ovoid object flew over toward the southeast, then landed in a vineyard at 11:45 p.m. Ground marks were later found on the ground, and the vegetation (grape vines) were effected. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 14162, citing Illobrand von Luviger, UFOs - Zeugen and Zeichen, p. 363).

July 11, 1978; Can Cifre, Ibiza, Spain
Two young boys were playing in a tree in an empty field near the Can Fita farm in Can Cifre when they heard a loud noise coming from the nearby woods. Thinking it could be some kind of animal, they climbed down the tree and were confronted by a strange robot-like being. The humanoid had a bright metallic body that reflected the sunlight, two antenna-like projections from the top of its head, and large slit like eyes and mouth. To their horror it began moving towards them using incredibly long jumps. Both boys ran towards a nearby barbwire fence, but were astonished to see another bizarre figure standing just in front of some nearby trees. They describe the second figure as a man over two meters tall, bearded and with long black hair and wearing a long white cape that was flowing in the wind. Their fear increased when they realized both figures had apparently come from a huge landed UFO that was partially hidden behind some nearby electrical pylons. As they ran to town they were chased by a bright blue light most of the way. Strange tracks were later found at the site of the encounter. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Iker Jimenez, Encuentros: La Historia de Los OVNI en España).

July 12, 1978; near Wiener Neustadt, Austria
10:15 PM. A watch stopped when an orange glowing domed disc-shaped UFO came out from under the clouds 13 kilometers from the mountain town of Wiener Neustadt, Austria. The two witnesses reported that the object then simply vanished. (Source: Ernst Berger, MUFON UFO Journal, June 1978, p. 3).

July 16, 1978; northern part of Iran
A Lufthansa airliner flying over the northern part of Iran encountered a glowing UFO floating in the sky. The presence of the object caused electrical interference with the aircraft's instruments. (Source: Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, September 1978, p. 2).

July 16, 1978; Farningham, England
9:00 PM. A metallic gray cigar-shaped object descended over a highway, causing a car on the highway to stop. The witness reported that the car was then levitated inside a beam and brought up inside the craft through an opening. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 12725).

July 16, 1978;  Iracauba, Brazil
On this night J. R. B. and his family observed a dome-shaped metallic object land in a field. A short humanoid with greenish skin and large oval-shaped eyes emerged briefly from the craft. It then re-entered the object, which took off. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing GEPUC Brazil).

July 17, 1978; Castanheira de Pera, Portugal
5:30 AM. A one-meter diameter sphere was seen spinning 1.5 meters above the ground. At the site witnesses found scorched earth and burnt rocks. (Source: Victor Lourenco, PORTUCAT: Portugal
UFO computer database, case 221)

July 18, 1978; Lurate Caccivio, Italy
A red-orange object hovered over Lurate Caccivio, Italy. It resumed revolving and emitted a hissing sound as it departed. (Source: Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence: Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, p. 349).

July 23, 1978; Lake Michigan
Several Coast Guard stations observed cigar-shaped object with same pattern of body lights, moving at very high rate of speed (section II).

July 27, 1978; Union, MO
Woman reported brilliantly lighted object buzzed her car, briefly lifted it off road (section VII).

July 27, 1978; Sheffield Village, OH
Elongated object with flashing lights, humming sound, close to ground, moved up and down for about 15 minutes, flew away.  Trouble restarting engine. International UFO Reporter, September 1978, see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 72 (E,L) car

July 27-28, 1978; Union, MO
Rash of UFO sightings reported to police over two days, probably including Delta Aquarid meteors (section VIII).

July 28, 1978; Ludington, MI/ Two Rivers,WI
8:20 PM. [Dick seems to have a little blurb on this in the list under the wrong date, and a generic Lake Michigan location]. There was an "early" report of something over the southern part of Lake Michigan, Benton Harbor, MI area, but whether this is part of the main case is unknown. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 28, 1978; Ludington, MI
11:45 PM. The coast guard station gets a phone call from a citizen who reports that two people have seen a strange object over the lake. Coast Guardsman Don Clark sees it too. He says that he along with others saw a cluster of white lights, one of them flashing, and one steady green light, near the shoreline. It was "very, very bright". It proceeded westerly and then accelerated silently over the horizon "faster than a plane". As the object was heading towards their sister station at Two Rivers,WI , Ludington radioed them about the object. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 28, 1978; Ludington, MI
11:57 PM. Six coastguardsmen were at the window of the station to watch it show up. What they thought they saw was a cylinder or ball with a variety of colored lights. These lights were white, red, green, orange, blue, and flashing one light at a time. Their brilliance was such that it hurt the eyes. The thing passed at a distance of about 5 miles, and for all they could tell was silent. Pictures were taken. If it could be assumed that this was the same object as on the Michigan side [a real coincidence if it were not], then a rather easy calculation of ~1200mph crossing speed was make-able. The thing wobbled as it flew, and then stopped abruptly, looking as if it had "hit a brick wall". It then whisked out of sight "in seconds". Then the personnel called a third station [at Sturgeon Bay, WI], warning them. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 28, 1978; Sturgeon Bay
Midnight. Coast guard personnel saw the same or similar looking object passing by at high speed and at higher altitude. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 29, 1978; Ludington, MI
<>12:01 AM. Ludington personnel saw a second object, moving at very high speed and flashing red lights and a strobe-like appearance. Three minutes later it was within eyesight of Two Rivers, who described it the same way. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 29, 1978; Green Bay, WI
12:25 AM. Lighthouse reported what could have been the same object, described as very fast and flashing red and white lights erratically. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

July 29, 1978; Green Bay, WI
12:45 AM. Another odd light showed up, possibly part of all this or possibly just "excitement" [as it lacked some of the strangeness of the other multi-witnessed sightings]. There may be more to all this but later sightings get more controversial. The main loose end is the film. The photographer didn't trust anyone else with the film and had it developed locally. The pictures [not seen by this writer but broadcast on national television] supposedly show a somewhat streaky set of colored lights. A myth grew up that this film had been mysteriously lost after being sent to the CG office in Cleveland, OH, but that apparently applies to a second set of pictures taken by another person of an "event" that sounds like stars which occurred on a later day. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS sighting report forms by Gary Randall [Two Rivers CG], and Don Clark [Ludington CG]; "Complete details on that Michigan Coast Guard case", International UFO Reporter 4 (2): August 1979; Traverse City(MI) RECORD EAGLE, August 4, 1978; Muskegon(MI) CHRONICLE, July 30, 1978. [sighting was also written up in the National Inquirer,February 13, 1979 for what that is worth]. )

August 1, 1978;  Clarksville, TN
10:00 PM. A six-month-pregnant woman had been taking a nap when she woke up to see a large craft hovering outside the upstairs window, over a nearby wood shack. Her husband saw the object too. She fainted but then heard a voice in a thick Middle Eastern accent that told her to open her eyes. When she did eyes she was confronted by a tall creature resembling an insect, thin and white in color, wearing a dark outfit. It communicated with her by using telepathy. There were several other similar creatures wearing jumpsuits standing in the room. Their heads were large and rounded. The witness conducted a mental conversation with the leader, and asked it several questions about its origin. The witness suddenly panicked and screamed and began to faint, and some of the creatures began backing away. But moments later a long needle was painfully inserted into her belly. She then passed out, and awoke later to see the taller creature talking to the others. At one point the witness claimed she saw several helicopters flying around the hovering craft. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 3201, citing Peter Davenport, National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle).

Aug. 7, 1978; Peoria, IL
9:00 PM. Light with whirring noise paced car for several minutes. (IUR,3,9)

Aug. 8, 1978; Belton, MO
9:40 PM. Heavily-witnessed radar-visual case near Kansas City. In Belton, Missouri several military personnel witnessed the flyover of a UFO that was tracked on radar. The encounter lasted 45 minutes. A cattle mutilation had been discovered earlier that day in Elsberry, Missouri. (Sources: (1) Allan Hendry, International UFO Reporter, September 1978, p. 3; UNICAT database, case 145; (2) Elsberry Democrat, August 10, 1978).

Aug. 10, 1978; General Belgrano, Santa Fe, Argentina
Night. A mushroom-shaped object was sighted at close range over a military base in General Belgrano. The object was several meters in diameter, and had an array of flashing lights around its rim. It flew at a low altitude, and hovered for 10 minutes. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, October 1978, p. 14, citing Cronica, August 13, 1978).

Aug. 11, 1978; Roosevelt, UT
Silver dome-shaped object, green glow, hovered overhead, began circling; E-M effects, dogs whined; UFO finally took off at high speed (section V).

Aug.11, 1978; Buffalo Shoals, NC
Glowing, yellow domed disc passed nearby, hovered, shot straight up, humming noise. MUFON UFO Journal, August 1988, p. 16; Maiden, N.C. Times, Aug. 16, 1978 (E,L) motorcycle

Aug. 20, 1978; Toledo, OH
7:30 PM A 64-year old security guard was on patrol in downtown Toledo looking at a "large plane" approaching from the north against a clear, pre-sunset sky. As it passed overhead at a uniform speed, about 1500-2000 feet up, it could be resolved that it was actually a cigar (as sketched) with small brackets. It was dull silver, distinctly outlined and was twice the angular size of the full moon. It then continued its straight path southbound to the horizon. (IUFOR,3,12)

Aug. 21, 1978; Indianapolis, IN
5:30 PM. A 33-year old housewife, in the company of her 8- and 10-year old children, watched a silver "Frisbee" from their front porch in this urban residential area 3 miles north of the center of town. Standing outdoors, looking up at the clear sky, they saw the saucer in the SE, much larger than a full moon would look (at night) With an estimated real size as large as a car. The Frisbee had a sharp outline and a metallic appearance. No Sound could be heard over the heavy traffic noise. According to the children, it then shot over to SW in two seconds. Finally,  It moved straight up out of sight in an instant. 5-8 mins. (One of the cases listed on Dr. Willy Smith's UNICAT file) (IUFOR,3,12)

Aug. 22, 1978; Moscow, PA
7:03 AM. Four men were driving in a car pool to work at the Tobyhanna Army Depot. Driving in the Mt. Pocono region, they watched a small circular, vague "cloud" descend suddenly in the South. The sun was to their left, the sky bright daylight with some (regular) clouds. As they watched the cloud before them while driving at expressway speeds, they watched it change to a bright silver and hover, though rocking from side to side. It now looked solid and metallic. It rose slightly and flew off to the SE at "800-900 mph". (IUFOR,3,12)

Aug. 24, 1978; Ginghamsburg, OH
11:40 PM. Two 19-year old girls, driving west near Ginghamsburg watched two oddly-colored orange light forms, twice the "size" of aircraft landing lights, the "balls" of light were prominent in the middle, faded at the ends. A humming sound could be heard both from the lights and from the car radio. The driver couldn't get her car to go faster than about 20 mph (a 73 Vega with manual 4-speed). The lights were coming from the left, one directly over the other. The two witnesses looked away momentarily ("did you see that?") and they were gone, they looked again, and the lights came over the car. From the South they had moved to the NW over a field; a rod or a light beam came down from one ball of light and shone a light at the witnesses for one second. The driver tried to flash the car lights at it, to no avail. They looked away briefly and did not get to see the manner in which the lights vanished. (IUFOR,3,12, see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 73 (E,R) car)

Aug. 24, 1978; Ottumwa, IA
10:00 PM. A 54-year old cook was on her way from her brother's house about 10-miles south of town when this EM interference case occurred. She was on Cliffland Road northbound in her '72 Ford LTD, alongside of the Des Moines River in a wooded, rural area under a clear sky. Then a "huge" (full moon-sized) red orange light shot silently from the east to the west in several seconds "which seemed like forever". As it flew across the front of her car, her windshield fogged up and the car stalled out to a stop on the road. This interference lasted only a few seconds and the car restarted without her turning the key; the window defogged as quickly as it had steamed up. She last saw the light against a background of trees up ahead, lower than the treetops. (IUFOR, December 1978, see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 73 (E) car)

Aug. 26, 1978; Hyannis, MA
10:00 PM. Two witnesses in a car on Cape Cod watched an oval-shaped craft hovering low over the US Route 6 road. Within the craft several figures could be seen moving about behind several rectangular windows. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 2358, citing Raymond E. Fowler).

Aug. 27, 1978; Provincetown, MA
1:40 PM. One minute. A private plane flying over Massachusetts Bay, 10 miles north-northwest of Provincetown had a near collision at 2500' with a 18-foot diameter silver disc. Ground radar confirmed the presence of the unknown craft. (Source: Raymond E. Fowler, MUFON UFO Journal, August 1978, p. 5).

Aug. 28, 1978; West Germany
12:43 PM. US private aircraft with three witnesses at 33,000' observed three UFOs for 1/2 minute. (Haines printout)

Aug. 29, 1978;  Guemes, Cordoba province, Argentina
11:00 PM. An ovoid object with reddish flashes moved at a low altitude in the proximity of the local observatory. Residents discarded the notion that it was a plane. Two UFOs appeared in the skies over the city of Mendoza, Argentina. Their estimated speed was 6000 kph, altitude 30,000-40,000 meters, and they were photographed with "special cameras and techniques." (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, November 1978, p. 14, citing Cronica, August 29 & 31, 1978).

Aug. 30, 1978; Nisula, MI
Cone-shaped object with body lights flew overhead. International UFO Reporter, December 1978, see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 73 (E) pickup truck

Aug. 30, 1978; Union County, IN
About 11:45 PM. Witness driving on State road 44 in valley near bridge. Ahead low over the road she observed an orange egg shaped object accompanied by 4 small orange-red square-looking objects. Light suddenly engulfed her car and she remembers nothing until she found herself driving about 5 miles down the road. At home troubled mentally and discovered two puncture wounds on her buttocks and small lumps in mid chest. (Worley files)

Aug. 31, 1978; between San Juan and San Luis, Argentina
2:00 AM. Two men, Srs. De Cesare and Martin, were driving in a truck on Highway 147 in Argentina when they were circled closely by a group of UFOs. Their truck's engine stopped and they got out, throwing themselves to the ground and hiding among the roadside vegetation. The truck battery was totally discharged and the truck could not be restarted. At dawn dead goats and birds were found at the site. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, December 1978, p. 15, citing Cronica, October 1, 1978).

Fall, 1978; Waterford, OH
10:30 PM. Two very bright but distant lights approached four witnesses, then moved toward them, hovering within 500-600 over some power lines. All natural sounds stopped at this point.  Main witness then walked to within 300'  and one light took off to the north at high speed. The other object soon followed. Duration: 15 minutes. But before the objects left they were described as 50-100' in diameter and 15-20 feet high, oval shaped with rounded domes, and apparently windows around them. (MORA, Frank Reams and Barbara Spellerberg)

Sept.1, 1978; Llanerchymedd, Anglesey, Wales
Shortly after 8:00 p.m. in Llanerchymedd, Anglesey, Wales several villagers including a man hunting rabbits watched a bright white light descend slowly behind a new housing estate. Other independent witnesses saw a large silvery sphere above a field, and watched the cows panic and neighborhood dogs start barking furiously. A woman and her young daughter looked out and saw three tall men in gray uniforms with caps or helmets attached to their suits walk across a field. She ran to the village to find some other witnesses. (Sources: Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume 2: A Thirty Year Report, pp. 281, 491; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1961; Robert Gribble, MUFON UFO Journal, issue # 245).

Sept. 2, 1978; San Michele, Italy
8:10 AM. A man heard a hissing sound and saw a metallic-looking cigar-shaped object about 10 meters long rising from a maize field. An area about 3 x 7 meters was found in the field where plants were bent and dehydrated. (Centro Ufologico Nazionale report)

Sept. 6, 1978; Venado Tuerto, Argentina
6:45 AM. Round object, 30' in diameter, 15' high, hemispherical dome on top. Several round windows. Multicolored lights. One giant humanoid, over 7' tall. Green hand, blue conical nails, long gloves, cylindrical helmet. One robot, not described. Object on ground with hatch open. Witness stands in doorway. Giant occupant pricked witness's shoulder with nails. Robot inside craft cutting and packaging cattle parts. Witness flees.

Sept. 6, 1978; Cordoba, Argentina
11:15 PM. On this night a luminous UFO, giving off red and blue sparks, started to emit a high-pitched whistling sound. Power outages occurred throughout the neighborhood. The first UFO was joined by two or three other UFOs in an undulating motion, and together they flew off in a V-shaped formation. (Source: UFO News clipping Service, November 1978, p. 14).

Sept. 15, 1978; Delano, TN
2:30 AM. 31-year-old woman was lying in bed awake for 30 minutes when "funny" feeling made her look outside. She stood at the south window looking out at fields of this rural area and saw bright moon in clear sky. Also saw vaguely, object with lights in a long shape, red and pink as if on fire in SW sky. Angular size was somewhat less than moon's. No sound . Two "normal" men dressed in white suits could be seen about 100 yards from window, too dark for details They started for the house, but then stopped and turned back. The UFO came in fast at this point and came very close to ground then left very fast climbing to the West.(IUR,4,1)

Sept.15, 1978; Carpentersville, IL
4:00 AM. A 26-year-old woman was awakened by a whirring sound and she went to her bedroom window to look outside. The noise stopped, but then she saw the figure of a six-foot tall man. He was dressed in a silvery suit. Several feet away from him she saw a small, silver, domed disc sitting on the edge of the grass. It was opaque and smooth and was the source of the whirring sound. The witness then screamed at her husband to wake up, and her dog started barking furiously. They both tried to phone the police but the phone was not working. When the police eventually arrived both the mysterious visitor and the UFO were gone. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 228, citing International UFO Reporter, Vol. 4, # 2)

Sept. 17, 1978; Torrita di Siena, Tuscany, Italy
8:15 PM. Car engine and lights failed, domed disc descended onto road; two small humanoids emerged, examined car, reentered object, took off (section XII). Two witnesses watched a bright sphere descend over the area the same time a electrical blackout occurred. Shortly after that a motorist, Sr. R. Faralli, a 25-year-old man driving a Fiat 127, was on his way home when his engine and lights went out, then a bright red object descended over the road just ahead of him and hovered. It was a domed disc, hat like in shape. He found he was paralyzed and could not move, as he watched a panel open and two humanoids emerge and float towards his vehicle. They were five feet tall and wore green coveralls and helmets with aerials and face masks, and they floated about four feet above the ground. They circled the car and appeared to inspect it. Their skin also appeared greenish. They re-entered the UFO, which took off with a flash of light and an explosive sound. The witness suffered eye irritation. (Sources: Roberto Pinotti, International UFO Reporter, October 1979, p. 15; Richard Hall, MUFON UFO Journal, issue # 153 (November 1980); Lumieres dans la Nuit, January 1981; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty Year Report, pp. 265, 270, 349, 491, 495; Mark Cashman, Project 1947 EM Effects Catalog website; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1968).

Sept. 17, 1978; Maatsuyker Island, Tasmania
9:20 PM. Keith Roberts investigated and we are lucky to have his field report. Roberts writes: " Details of the event were taken from the lighthouse log. A large white glowing light was noticed in a westerly to southwesterly direction. It was at low elevation about 12 degrees. The light was half-Moon sized and stationary. 9:30 PM: All power in number 1 quarters went off. Fuse and circuit breakers were checked in the house and engine room. All were OK. The power generator continued to work and the lighthouse operated normally. 9:35 PM: Power came back on; the light had not moved. Light was checked with binoculars. Then, with naked eye, a red light appeared in the center; later it moved to the side of the light as if it had turned. [Main] light and the red light observed with binoculars. 10:10 PM:  power in house off again; this time for 15 minutes. Again checks made but nothing wrong. Lighthouse still OK. The light was still in its original position to the W&SW. A call was put through to Cape Bruny 40 miles northeast. The lighthouse keeper there could not see anything. 10:55 PM: Light finally went out. [observers] had the impression that it travelled directly away from the witnesses or that it just diminished in size on the spot." "There is a suggestion that the light somehow affected the power in the house, although this can not be proved. The light was estimated to be 4 miles away." Concerning an astronomical component: witnesses looked for candidates in that section of the sky on subsequent evenings, finding only Venus in the vicinity. Venus however fails to deal with the case, having set long before the mystery light left the vicinity. Plus, the witnesses said that Venus paled in comparison, and they had deliberately noted the relative motion of the heavens vs. the stationary light across the 1&1/2 hours of the event. The lighthouse crew remained flummoxed as to how the power to one element of their operation could have malfunctioned when the system was intact and no problems were in evidence either before or since the selective outage. (Source: Mike Swords; Keith Roberts. Field report TA 78 112. Maatsuyker Island 17.9.78; and Keith Roberts . Maatsuyker Island Report [ a compilation of the events on this island across the years], published by the Tasmanian UFO Investigation Centre, updated 1998.

Sept. 18, 1978; Melaria, Porto Nogaro district, Italy
Whistling sound, disc-shaped object with dome on mudflat. Small humanoid emerged, made repair to craft, took off with loud explosive sound (section XII).

Sept. 22-23, 1978; Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
Car participating in road rally brightly illuminated by glowing object, lifted off road, driver and passenger blinded, steering control lost (section VI).

Sept. 23, 1978; Rosario, Argentina
That morning a florist in the city of Rosario saw a reddish-orange lighted sphere make several 90-degree turns impossible for any conventional aircraft. The object crossed over the Parana River into Entre Rios province. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, November 1978, p. 16, citing Cronica, September 27, 1978).

Sept. 26, 1978; Strongsville, OH
Disc with dome moved back and forth, heavy static on FM radio, headlights out briefly. International UFO Reporter, July 1979; see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 73 (R,L) car

Oct. 8, 1978; Jenkins, MO
7:00 AM.: Multiple (7) witness, two objects, one on ground two hours, 180 ft away, traces. (IUR,3,12; Ted Phillips)

Oct. 21, 1978: Between Cape Ottway, Victoria, and King Island, Bass Strait, Australia
7:06 PM. Frederick Valentich, age 20, was piloting a Cessna aircraft, registration VH-DSJ, from Moorabbin airport, Melbourne, Victoria, to King Island, which is in Bass Strait. There were no passengers. He departed Moorabbin at 1819 hrs local time, and reported Cape Ottway at 1900 hrs. At 1906 hrs he asked air traffic control (ATC) if there was any known traffic in his area. Over the next period of time, he described a long shape near his plane, which at one time orbited his plane. It had a green light and was 'sort of metallic.' ATC lost communications with the aircraft at 1912 hrs. The aircraft, during the incident was below radar coverage height. Despite an extensive search, the aircraft and pilot were never found. The weather at cape Ottway was clear, with a trace of stratocumulus cloud at 5000 to 7000 feet, scattered cirrus at 30000 feet; excellent visibility, and light winds. The sea surface was flat. The end of daylight at Cape Ottway was at 1918 hrs. (Sources: (1) Department of Transport file B1497, control symbol V116/783/1047, located in the National Archives of Australia by Keith Basterfield. (2) Department of Transport file 78/1205, located by Andrew Arnold. )

Oct. 30, 1978; Tobalaba Airfield, Santiago, Chile
Pilots and air traffic controllers saw shiny objects, one sped away, circled, maneuvered, descended in distance (sections III, IV).

Sept. 25, 1978; Greenfield, IN
9:00 PM. Three woman observed an object coming down from the sky into the field. Dog barked. Observed 40 minutes. Sheriff deputies claimed it was a helicopter. UFO was oblong, very, very huge with a kind of greenish-gray color. It had three lights, one red and two white. No sound and it moved flying sideways behind the barn and then took off flying front ways. 140' imprint left in soybean field. (MUJ,142,3)

Sept. 28, 1978; Omaha, NE
2:00 AM. Two twenty-year-old female steel company employees were driving in a residential area when they drove by a dark, cone-shaped UFO with three white rotating lights on the underside. The tape cassette in the VW car's tape player erased as the car drove close to the object, but other cassette tapes in a cardboard box on a car seat were undamaged. (Source: International UFO Reporter, July 1979, p. 13).

Oct. 3, 1978; Bogota, Columbia
Thousands of witnesses in saw two UFOs in an unusually clear sky. One was shaped like a "croissant" and the other was cylinder-shaped. Both gave off an intense luminosity. Traffic halted throughout the city during the sighting. (Source: UFO News clipping Service, December 1978, p. 15).

Oct. 8, 1978, Jenkins, MO
7:00 AM. A farming family noted an unusual object in a field to the south of their house. The object was 285 feet from the house and at that distance, difficult to see. It appeared as a white object of moderate size, but was felt to be probably a large piece of paper blown there over the previous evening. The family did not go over to inspect it at that time. The six family members [5 adults and a teenager] stole occasional glances in its direction over the next two hours but nothing moved. Then, at 9am, the farm owner left the house to do some chores. At that moment, the object rapidly rose from the ground to a height of 30 to 50 feet. Everyone else ran out of the house to watch. It began moving slowly and silently to the west, ascended rapidly, turned twice, and gradually flew away. The witnesses noted that a second larger and more distant object seemed also to be in the sky. These objects came into close approximation and moved off together. The landed object was described as an oval or egg shape appearing white on the ground but more silvery reflective once airborne. Its size was judged to be 4-5 feet in the longer dimension, and 3-4 feet in the shorter. One area of the surface was darker in tone, and allowed the witnesses to note that it was rotating at about a once per two seconds rate. The witnesses immediately called the sheriff's department. A deputy arrived in the afternoon and went to the landing site, took pictures, as well as soil samples. There was a noticeable trace which measured 4 1/2 feet long and 3 1/2 feet wide. The character of the trace was described as depressed, not burnt nor dried. Soil moisture was normal. The force bearing down on the ground was not great as measured by penetrometer tests. No radioactive heightened readings were measured either. [We owe all these tests to the field's trace expert, Ted Phillips.] As time went on though, there was some easily noticeable deterioration of the grass, selectively within the trace. The only slightly reasonable alternate hypothesis that Phillips and CUFOS were able to come up with, was something involving a weather balloon. Some effort was made to check for such launches but the only known source was in the entirely wrong wind direction. The fast take-off speed is also against this theory among several other things one might mention. One other note, when the farmer arrived at the scene he said that the grass at the site was very noticeably swirled. This case was also reported in the MUFON Journal where there were a few discrepancies. MUFON reports the trace as a tripod of depressed spots within an area of depressed and swirled grass. At one point in the article the trace is described as "burnt" but more reading seems to indicate that "discolored" might be a better word. "Like a spot which has been over-fertilized". Testing by MUFON at a college laboratory showed no unusual chemicals or volatile organics, such as solvents. It was found by MUFON that that farmer had previously recovered one of the weather balloons from the local service and knew perfectly well what they looked like. CUFOS' and MUFON's reports agree on almost all details, and the trace as described by MUFON is probably the better detail. As an aside, the witnesses describe their cows and a "local" meandering coyote as merely staring at the object and not agitated in any way. Sources: International UFO Reporter Vol. 3 # 12, December 1978; MUFON Journal #135, May 1979; and follow up by Phillips in #141, November 1979; plus, Joplin(MO) Globe, October 24, 1978. Hope this is of some use.   (Source: Mike Swords)

Oct. 23, 1978; Kansu Province, China
At an open-air motion picture film showing, several Chinese Air Force pilots sighted a large, bright rectangular object at an estimated 21,000-foot altitude. They watched it for two to three minutes. They said it carried intensely bright lights. (Source: FSR, March 1983, p. 24).

Oct. 25, 1978; Tagliocozzo, Abruzzi, Italy
5:00 AM. A 51-year-old farmer name Giovanni was searching for a stray cow in the hills near his home when he came to an open field and spotted a large light brown object shaped like a shoeshine box on the ground. Lighted windows surrounded the craft. He approached to within three feet and saw six to seven humanoid beings inside. These were described as small and human like, both male and female. The women were blonde and had beautiful pink skin and smiled at him. The men were uglier, had darker skin and appeared elderly, and they ignored him. (Source: Roberto Pinotti, International UFO Reporter, October 1979, p. 17).

Oct. 30, 1978; Carmo Da Cachoeira, Minas Gerais, Brazil
9:30 PM. Sebastiana Francelina de Jesus, his older brother, and a younger cousin were traveling by Jeep on their way to a local farm in Carmo Da Cachoeira, Minas Gerais, Brazil when suddenly an unknown force halted the vehicle in its tracks, then pulled it backwards into the mud on the side of the road. All this occurred while a torrential rain was falling. The Jeep was hopelessly mired in the mud. As the three witnesses attempted to dislodge it a very large object emitting an intense rotating light suddenly appeared. The UFO flew over them at very low altitude and then descended to hover a few meters away from the witnesses. The light from the object was so bright that it temporarily blinded the three young people. The older man nearly fainted from fright. Two bright rotating beams of light illuminated the area around them and the interior of the Jeep. They could also hear a steady droning noise coming from the object. After awhile they began to hear what seemed to be human voices coming from the object, but the voices spoke in an unknown language. The terrified witnesses began screaming for help because they began to feel a bizarre effect: all three felt as if they were "floating." They also described the feeling like "they were growing in size." Finally the UFO began to move away throwing numerous rocks and debris up into the air. As it sped away from view a small spherical orange-yellow light followed the craft. The witnesses then felt their environment return to normal. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Ubirajara Franco Rodrigues).

Nov. 8, 1978; San Benedetto del Tronto
5:30 p.m. While fishing on board of the “Exodus”, three fishermen (Flaviano Mattiucci, Gennaro Mattiucci and Dino Focaracci) saw, at low altitude and for a few seconds, a red and yellow spherical light. After emerging from the sea it seemed to return into it, after rising and falling from the sky. About one hour later, the radar of another fishing boat, the “Andrea Padre”, reported a moving submerged object, which appeared to follow the vessel. (Carl Feindt)

Nov. 9 - Dec. 14, 1978; vicinity of Kuwait
A senior official of the Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) reported to the embassy that the UFO "...which first appeared over the northern oil fields seemingly did strange things to KOC's automatic pumping equipment. This equipment is designed to shut itself down when there is some failure which may seriously damage the petroleum gathering and transmission system and it can only be restarted manually. At the time of the UFO's appearance the pumping station automatically shut itself down and when the UFO vanished the system started itself up again. Eight UFOs were sighted between Nov. 9 and Dec. 14,1978, in the vicinity of an oil-gathering center near Kuwait City, Kuwait The government appointed a committee of experts from the Kuwait Institute For Scientific Research to investigate. An Institute representative, Ratib Abu Id, told U.S. embassy officials that they had rejected the idea of espionage devices and did not know enough about the subject to rule out spaceships. (McCampbell; Hall, UFOEII Section IV).

Nov. 11,  1978; Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada
Late in the evening four witnesses traveling by car near Bragg Creek on a snowy night noticed a bright white light approaching their vehicle. As it got closer they could see that it was a huge object resembling a hovercraft. It had numerous lighted square windows. One witness was able to see several human-like figures standing behind the windows. At one point the witnesses became disoriented and there appears to have been some time loss. One of the witnesses heard what appeared to be music coming from inside the craft. No other sound was detected. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case # 860, citing W. K. Allan, FSR).

Nov. 20, 1978;  near Rowlands Castle in Great Britain
6:00 PM. GMT, a mushroom-shaped UFO, bigger than a double-decker bus, with a blue flashing light on top, hovered over a car near Rowlands Castle. It shot off, circled around, and hovered over the car again for an additional ten seconds. (Sources: UFO Newspaper Clipping Service, January 1979, p. 11).

Nov. 21, 1978; Newfoundland
Two airliner crews encountered disc with dome, structural features, emitting light beams (sections III, IX).

Nov. 25, 1978; Kordel, Germany
Pam Owens abduction case. (MUFON investigation report)

Nov. 25, 1978; Atlantic Ocean
While participating in a trans-Atlantic crossing during a yacht race, the skipper of the yacht "Salamandre" watched a very shiny white disc come down to right above the boat. The greenish-blue color surrounding the object was so brilliant that it was blinding. The UFO shot off at astonishing speed. (Source: UFO Newspaper Clipping Service, May 1979, p. 15).

Nov. 25, 1978; Trier, Germany
10:00 PM. That night an abduction by UFO occupants occurred. A metallic, ovoid UFO with a flashing red light hovered over a car with a German couple and a nineteen-year-old American woman named Owens. The car's occupants experienced over 90 minutes of missing time. The principal abductee, the wife of an American soldier stationed in Germany, was levitated aboard the UFO. She was five months pregnant at the time. She had no memory of the abduction prior to hypnosis. During hypnosis she recalled that the aliens had huge, baldheads, and deep-set eyes. They had a greenish colored skin, with a roughness like mummy wrapping. Their hands had four fingers, and were twice the length of human fingers. Dark triangular objects with pale yellow lights were seen over Heathrow Airport and in Ducklington, England that day and evening. (Sources: (1) Jane Thomas (translator), UFO Newspaper Clipping Service, April 1980, p. 14 citing The Independent, January 22, 1980; (2) UFO Newspaper Clipping Service, April 1979, p. 11, citing the London Sunday Express, January 11, 1979).

An event that may well prove to be one of the most significant of our time took place on international soil. Addressing the 1977-1978 General Assembly meeting of the United Nations, Prime Minister Eric Gairy of Grenada - an island country in the Caribbean - introduced a resolution calling for the establishment of an agency to study UFOs on a global scale. Meetings on UFOs. Speakers included J. Allen Hynek, Jacques Vallee, Stanton Friedman, Lawrence J. Coyne. Article

Nov. 29, 1978; Richmond, KY
9:30 PM. Three witnesses. A car had been chased down a rural road by a flashing UFO. At one time it shot a blue flame out of the front and the car stalled and the lights went out. After the car chase the object was seen to circle a house and surrounding fields at 100-300' off the ground. It was cigar-shaped and about the size of the Goodyear blimp. (MUJ-140,13)

Dec. 1, 1978; Giulianova, Italy
1:40 AM. A small dark disc with a luminous underbody, estimated to be about 1.5 meters in diameter, flew slowly along the coast heading south in Giulianova, Italy. About four hours later, in Milan, Italy the entire electrical system of a car failed when a luminous, orange and green saucer-shaped UFO flew overhead. The object circled the car then rose vertically. The car functioned without trouble after the UFO left the scene. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit and ITACAT)

Dec. ??, 1978; Rapatee, IL
Night. Two teenage girls from London Mills reported a tubular aircraft approached their car as they drove on Illinois Rt.11 near Rapatee. It came within about 10 feet of their vehicle, circled them once, and left "toward the east at a fantastic speed, but there wasn't any noise at all."  (NCS)

Dec. 3, 1978; Leme, Brazil
Evening. A brightly lit globular shaped object was seen flying at a low altitude over Leme. Several moving figures could be seen moving inside through a large opening. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing GEPUC Brazil).

Dec. 6, 1978; Amur region of Siberia, Russia
In the isolated taiga in the Amur region of Siberia between the rivers Urkan and Tyndoy, a metallic UFO shaped like a mushroom was found on this day, apparently having crashed. Its diameter was about 5.5 to 6 meters and it was about 3.0 meters in height. It reportedly weighed 720 kg. It was transported to Novosibirsk, Russia where it was hidden in the Akademgorodok region. The body of a short dwarf-like humanoid was found inside, which was delivered for autopsy to the scientific research institute in Novosibirsk. When first discovered the humanoid allegedly still had shown vital signs, and it stayed in a coma-like state for two weeks before dying. A segmented aperture was found on the side of the disc where apparently other crewmembers had escaped out through an escape pod. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Anton "Cade" Belousov, Soviet X Files List).

Dec. 8, 1978; Portegrandi, Italy
1:30 AM. A seven-meter diameter domed disc hovered over a road in Portegrandi. It had four windows on its side and emitted rays of light. At 2:45 a.m. on a road in Catanzaro, Italy three policemen saw a luminous domed object tilt over the roadway. It shot away from them when they hit it with a spotlight. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issues 212, 214; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, case)

Nov. 9 - Dec. 14, 1978; vicinity of Kuwait
A UFO "which first appeared over the northern oil fields seemingly did strange things to KOC's automatic pumping equipment. This equipment is designed to shut itself down when there is some failure which may seriously damage the petroleum gathering and transmission system and it can only be restarted manually. At the time of the UFO's appearance the pumping station automatically shut itself down and when the UFO vanished the system started itself up again." Eight UFOs were sighted between Nov. 9 and dec. 14, 1978. (FOIA documents)

Dec. 9, 1978; Reggio di Calabria, Sicily, Italy
6:00 AM. Police watched a multi-colored object with intermittent flashing lights. When spotlighted the UFO seemed to enlarge, then emitted a beam down onto the police car. Five lights came on aboard the object. When the police spotlight was turned off, the lights on the UFO went off as well. (Sources: Richard H. Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 175 & 351; Larry Hatch, U computer database, citing Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue # 214).

Dec.11, 1978; Avellino, Italy
On this afternoon a police trooper in Avellino took a photograph of a round, possibly disc-shaped object that was directing an intense beam of energy at the ground. The photograph, taken from a highway patrol car, shows a black dot on white background. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO Newspaper Clipping Service, March 1979, p. 14, citing Cronica, December 12, 1978).

Dec.11, 1978; Navelli, Abruzzi, Italy
10:00 PM. A taxi driving on a road near the town of Navelli was forced to brake when two luminous globes were blocking the road ahead. The engine of the vehicle then died. Two humanoids glided across the surface without touching the ground. (Source: Maurizio Verga, ITACAT: Italian UFO Catalogue).

Dec.11, 1978; Arembepe, Brazil
On this night a tall human-like figure with light colored skin, dark hair, and wearing a tight fitting silvery suit and boots was seen coming out of a metallic basin-shaped object about 12 meters in diameter that had landed in a field. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Antonio Faleiro, Brazil).

Dec. 12, 1978; Burghausen, Bavaria, Germany
8:00 AM. Ms. Adele Holzer was in her car driving to work when she saw a hemispherical white disc. More puzzled than afraid, she pulled off to the side of the road, and saw a "row of shining green ports along its periphery." Then, she thought to herself, "If I could only see its bottom," and it suddenly turned exposing the underneath. She said there were three spheres on its bottom surface, the middle one being larger. It possessed a bright orange spot at its center. As the UFO hovered over some nearby trees, six beams of green light shot from it and she felt slightly paralyzed by one of them. She lost track of time as the object hovered over her. When the light beams went out the object rose silently up into the sky. Her watch had stopped at 08:01 a.m. and her car's ignition key, that she believed had been in her hand the entire time, was bent. She later told investigators she felt "somebody was trying to get into telepathic contact with her." She claimed to have been given a message saying that they had friendly intentions and wanted to stop us from destroying the Earth. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Michael Hessemann).

Dec. 12, 1978; Marzocca, Italy
Luminous UFO emitted light beam, shone onto car, tape player malfunctioned.  (Section VIII, 1978 Sighting Wave [E,L]) car

Dec. 12, 1978; Messina, Italy
Luminous yellow circular object stopped, hovered small spheres emerged and flew away; later returned and merged with parent object again (see section VIII, 1978 Sighting Wave)

Dec.12, 1978; near Navelli, Italy
11:45 PM. Alfonso Marinelli was traveling in his new Mercedes near Navelli, in the Abruzzi region of Italy when his engine suddenly quit. He then noted two bright lights approaching slowly in his direction. As the lights approached Marinelli was able to make out two short human-like figures. The figures wore silvery suits, resembling those of astronauts. The suits were luminous, and both figures wore huge oval-shaped helmets. The front of the helmets had black visors. Over the chest the figures had what appeared to be straps with a bright round light on the center. The figures rose off the ground to a height about 90 cm and in flew over the witness vehicle, quickly disappearing from sight. Marinelli was soon able to start his car's engine and drove away from the area. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Archivio S.U.F.).

Dec. 13, 1978; Brindisi Air Force Base, Italy
Shortly after two people saw a luminous mass descend close to the ground and then take off at high speed towards Puglia, Italy two soldiers on guard duty at the Brindisi Air Force Base saw a UFO with pulsating lights maneuver and hover near them. As the object was leaving a strange being shot up from the ground skywards, quickly disappearing from sight. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1971, case # 2351, citing Edoardo Russo).

Dec. 14, 1978; Brewer, ME
1:30 AM. A local resident named John felt an overwhelming compulsion to go out. He got dressed, got in his car, and drove away leaving his young daughter alone at home. John drove in a daze along Route 9E, a very desolate stretch of road. All of a sudden his car's motor went completely dead and he coasted to a stop. His battery wasn't dead because his headlights remained on. He tried unsuccessfully to re-start the car. He then heard a very loud crackling noise. He turned to his right and slightly ahead of his car was a huge, long dark rectangular object, about 50 feet from the road. It was hovering 30 feet above the ground. As soon as John saw it a rectangular portion on the front end lit up and shone a soft green light through his front windshield. John felt a strange tingling sensation, like "pins & needles." He also felt himself sink into a trance. He remained fully aware but could not move a muscle. Strangely, his initial fear upon sighting the huge object had disappeared, and he now felt calm and unafraid. The soft green light abruptly changed color to a reddish pink and began pulsating first slowly, then faster and faster. He then heard a voice say: "Do not be afraid. We will not harm you. We are from the 17th star." The lights then slowed down and John heard the voice say, "We will return." He felt a strong conviction that this statement was true. The lighted rectangle suddenly blinked off, and John heard a strange clicking sound again. The UFO then backed away and rose at an angle. On his way home he felt very cold. The next morning he noticed his skin peeling around his nose, forehead, and from the back of his ears. He suffered severe headaches after the incident. (Sources: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case A1998; Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978, citing Raymond E. Fowler, UFO Testament).

Dec. 14, 1978; Park Ridge, IL
5:30 PM. Two close encounters occurred. Two 12-year-old girls in Park Ridge who were tobogganing in the city park saw a saucer-shaped object with a row of flashing red lights on the top and bottom and flashing yellow lights in between. It had 3 balls on the bottom. It hovered for 20 minutes, and then made a semi-circle in the sky before leaving.  (Sources: George Eberhart, A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies, pp. 543 & 549; Park Ridge (IL) Herald, December 21, 1978)

Dec. 14, 1978; London Mills, IL
7:00 PM. On Highway 116 a tubular-shaped craft hovered and circled a car being driven by two teenage girls. The craft circled the car "close enough to have touched it." It had two parallel tubes and one perpendicular tube but no windows. It took off fast toward the east. The father of one of the girls, Ralph Brashear, reported the incident to the police.( London Mills (IL) Times, December 21, 1978).

Dec. 14, 1978; Pomeroy, WA
A large UFO paced a car with three women inside. The object had two transparent blue lights and followed them to one of their homes. It circled around their car once, and then sped off to the west. (Source: George Eberhart, A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies; Pomeroy East Washingtonian, December 21, 1978).

December 14, 1978; Sarandi del Yi, Uruguay
A UFO with bright red lights suddenly appeared and started to circle the car driven by Mr. La Bandera and his two passengers. It circled at a distance of only 10 meters (33 feet). It changed color to a deep green when it crossed the highway and made a steep climb into the sky. (Source: UFO Newsclipping Service, March 1979, p. 14).

Dec. 15, 1978;  Ragusa, Italy
11:50 PM. A truck driver suddenly experienced radio interference and stopped to fix it. He then saw two very tall humanoids standing only five meters away. They were dressed in black, tight-fitting coveralls and helmets. They helmets had short protuberances like antennae on the sides and they had transparent face plates. Inside human-like faces could be seen. Two bright beams of light were emitted from their helmets that illuminated the cab of the truck. The beings came closer and uttered unintelligible sounds, then turned and left. Seconds later the witness saw a dome-shaped craft take off with a bright flash. A strong smell of sulphur was noticed in the vicinity. (Source: Richard Hall, MUFON UFO Journal, issue # 153).

Dec. 15, 1978; Catania, Italy
12:15 p.m. Two young boys were playing in a yard on the island of Sicily, near a large TV antenna. The sky darkened and then a large disc-shaped craft approached and tilted at an angle, just above the TV antenna. The object emitted multicolored rays of light and had an open hatch in its center section. A bright beam of light shot out of the opening and a strange, 1.5 meter tall "monster" descended within the beam. The being was described as "ugly" with two large eyes and two antenna-like protrusions on its head. A second similar being reportedly descended carrying a "laser" type gun and shot at a rock causing it to burn and explode. He was seen to bend down, touch the ground, and then spill a black liquid on it. Moments later a beam of light transported the beings back into the craft. The craft then shot away at high speed. Ground traces were reportedly found. (Source: Maurizio Verga, ITACAT Italian UFO Catalogue).

Dec. 16, 1978; Francavilla, Italy
2:30 AM. A college coed saw an ovoid UFO surrounded by a white mist. She was standing in her living room by a balcony overlooking the sea when she noticed a gaseous form, white in color with two pulsating lights, a red one at one end, a green one at the other end. It descended onto the surface of the sea and became a very bright fluorescent white light that reflected off the surface of the water. She attempted to wake her parents but they continued to sleep. She next noticed two short figures standing in the garden at the adjacent apartment. They were very thin with large squarish heads and large feet. Both were wearing dark gray tight-fitting uniforms. They turned a corner moving as if in slow motion and in a limping manner, disappearing down an alleyway. Moments later the bright white light, now very near the breakwater, vanished. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue # 218; Maurizio Verga, ITACAT - Italian UFO Catalogue).

Dec. 16, 1978; Abbington, IN
8:20 PM. Five witnesses. (Repeated sightings for perhaps over an hour.) These sightings took place in the vicinity of Abbington to the witnesses who were in an auto. Dark object three times the size of a moon came over low above trees and hovered near auto causing its motor and radio to stop. As it hovered in front of the auto three red lights were seen and a large white light was on the rear. Object departed with a whooshing sound. Later on the Brownsville road first one then two then three objects appeared and seem to follow the auto. Objects sped off when witnesses reached their home in Abbington. P Drew. (Worley files)

Dec. 16, 1978; Calama, Chile
Shortly after Midnight. Near the city of Antofagasta in northern Chile a Chilean Air Force jet sighted and tried to intercept a huge luminous rectangular flying object. (Source: Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 42 citing the MUFON UFO Journal, December 1978).

Dec. 16, 1978;  Caracas, Venezuela
Early morning, predawn hours five UFOs emitted different colors, made a semi-circular turn, and then hovered over a mountain for several minutes before finally shooting away. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, March 1979, p. 14 citing Cronica, December 16, 1978).

Dec. 16, 1978; McCarran Airport in Las Vegas, NV
5:30 a.m. At McCarran Airport a married couple and a child saw a disc-shaped object with glowing white lights. The UFO made several falling leaf movements. An airline pilot flying in the vicinity also reported that a UFO streaked by his airliner although the UFO did not appear on radar. (Source: Las Vegas (Nevada) Sun, December 17, 1978).

Dec. 19, 1978; Montebello di Bertona, Italy
6:00 AM. A single witness reported that a UFO shaped like a cylindrical space capsule landed and then lifted off again. It had rotating lights. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 216).

Dec. 20, 1978; Sorrento, Italy
5:00 AM. Three people on the balcony of their house south of the city watched a huge sphere low in the sky over the shoreline of the Mediterranean. It made an odd noise like radio static, and vanished.  (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issues 216 and 240; D. N. Mansell)

Dec. 21, 1978; Resistencia, Argentina
Shortly after two oclock in the morning several witnesses saw 6-7 objects moving in formation through the sky at great speed. The UFOs were radiating a bright, light blue light but made no sound. Power outages were reported throughout the city.

Dec. 21, 1978; La Rioja, Argentina
At 2:45 a.m. a very large glowing disc-shaped UFO headed a formation of three other craft that flew from north to south at an estimated 1000 meters altitude. They reportedly lit up the sky like day. Each object was white in color with a green halo, and they left behind a bluish trail. A truck driver said his trucks radio stopped working at the time.

Dec. 21, 1978; Santa Fe, Argentina
2:55 PM. A giant light was observed in the western sky. It was blue and green in color, and spewed fiery particles, resembling an airplane on fire. Smaller objects surrounded it. (Sources: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, March 1979, pp. 14-15, citing La Razon, December 22, 1978 and El Independencie, December 22, 1978).

Dec. 21,1978; New Zealand
3:38 AM. Foreign commercial aircraft with two observers at 2500', 2-3 nearby UFOs. 11 minutes. (Haines printout).

Dec. 21-22, 1978; New Zealand
Near midnight. Foreign commercial aircraft with two witnesses, unknown altitude. (Haines printout).

Dec. 25, 1978; Cicagna, Liguria, Italy
4:30 AM. A three-meter long, oddly shaped UFO was seen at a low altitude over Cicagna, Liguria, Italy. It had what looked like iron claws on one end of the object. The UFO fired a beam of light, then shot off toward the south. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 216).

Dec. 25, 1978; San Bernardino County, CA
7:18 PM. Two huge UFOs came screaming over Lake Arrowhead. They made a sound similar to ambulances. There were two sets of independent witnesses to the fly-by, for a total of five witnesses. (Source: George Eberhart, A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies, p. 112, citing Mountain News & Mountaineer, December 28, 1978).

Dec.  25, 1978; San Martin department, Peru
Evening. A fleet of six UFOs was seen by Peruvian fishermen over the Caynarachi River. They first noticed a brightly illuminated rhomboid object that passed over from south to north. It was followed by five more objects in formation. The UFOs had yellow, amber, and violet lights. The men fled in fright. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, April 1979, p. 13, citing Cronica, December 26, 1978).

Dec. 26, 1978; Hackney Marshes, East London area, UK
5:15 PM. A couple was driving alongside the marshes when the wife noticed what appeared to be a "window" in the sky. It was quite long and narrow, and well defined. Its color was bright white. Its long axis lay horizontally, and had 4 lights mounted along its edges [two along the top, and two along the bottom]. These lights were red and green. It just hovered there. The husband halted the car and jumped out. The object then disappeared behind a cloud. Now, this is the odd part: the wife then asked her husband where he thought the colored lights were placed exactly on the rectangle as she was sketching it. He said essentially: what lights? He saw no lights at all, but "worse", he saw no rectangle. What he saw was an egg-shaped object composed of triangular windows in top and bottom halves, and with a "band around the middle". The triangular windows were varicolored and gave the object a beautiful merry-go-round appearance. Well, we are not told in the report how long the couple spent checking each other's sanity, as their observations are almost a complete mismatch. This case is one of a rare type that UFO researchers get, wherein the object seems to be projecting a different appearance to the witnesses depending upon their angle of view. This would be a particularly spectacular instance of that. Such cases have caused some analysts to suspect that such events may involve optical displays rather than "normal" solid three dimensional objects, or some spatial situation which would allow of such different versions of what two thoroughly believable observers report. (Mike Swords; BUFORA Journal, 8 (3), June 1979 [investigator: M.Weaven}.

Dec. 28, 1978; Hemel Hempstead, England
Afternoon. A round orange object with six lights underneath flew over Hemel Hempstead. It was the size of a double Decker bus, and emitted a zooming sound. (Source: UFO Newsclipping Service, February 1979, p. 13, citing the Luton Evening Post).

Dec. 28, 1978; off Santa Tecla, Italy
5:30 PM. The sea was seen roiling off of Santa Tecla and a dark disc shaped object rose from the sea surface and flew to the west. Rays of light beamed down from the object, and several metallic satellite objects jumped around it. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 216).

Dec. 28, 1978; L'Aquila, Italy
Night. A luminous object surrounded by a red halo stopped several hundred meters over an electric power generating plant in L'Aquila. It was seen by several of the power plant technicians. The generator stopped working for five minutes, and the central power plant instruments went "haywire". Several had to be re-adjusted after the incident. (Source: Jane Thomas, UFO News clipping Service, April 1979, p. 14).

December 28, 1978; Marzano Di Torriglia, Italy
11:48 PM. Fortunato Zanfretta was out patrolling a housing complex in Marzano Di Torriglia when he suddenly yelled over his radio that he had lost control of his vehicle. It sped down a mountain road on its own accord. When the car finally stopped, he got out to investigate a nearby strange light in the sky. He was later found lying incoherent next to his car. His pistol had been fired six times, and giant footprints were found at the site. Under hypnosis he later recalled being taken onboard an object by giant humanoids, and examined with strange devices. He was asked several questions and was told that they would be back. (Source: Albert S. Rosales, Humanoid Contact Database 1978 [electronic version], citing Paolo Fiorino, UFO Universe, October-November 1991).

Dec. 30,1978; New Zealand
12:12 AM. Foreign commercial aircraft, 4 witnesses at 10-14,000', 53 minutes. (Haines printout)

December 31, 1978; England and Scotland
7:00 PM. In Bayford, England Mr. and Mrs. Mason sighted a cigar-shaped object moving silently through the sky from the west to the east. The UFO had a long body with lots of tiny lights. Before losing sight of it two strong lights came on, one in the middle and one at the end. At the same time a silver triangle crossed the sky from west to east in Carlisle, England in Cumbria. Two minutes later a triangle with a grayish hue crossed the sky from west to east in Edinborough, Scotland, and three minutes after that another huge triangle was seen flying in the same direction over Hull, England.

Dec. 31, 1978; S. Island, New Zealand
Early morning hours shortly after midnight, a famous motion picture film was taken by a news crew while flying off the eastern coast of South Island, New Zealand near the town of Kaikoura. The luminous UFO was seen by everyone on board the aircraft and was tracked by radar at the same time. It was somewhat cone shaped, and was not a Japanese shrimp fishing boat, as claimed by debunkers. (Sources: International UFO Reporter, July 1979, p. 6; APRO Bulletin, May 1980, p. 2).

Dec. 31, 1978; Posada, Italy
1:00 AM.  A 3-meter in diameter glowing sphere appeared over a marsh. It had dark triangular spots that moved back and forth on the surface of the object.

Dec. 31, 1978; Bayford, England
7:00 PM. Mr. and Mrs. Mason sighted a cigar-shaped object moving silently through the sky from the west to the east. The UFO had a long body with lots of tiny lights. Before losing sight of it two strong lights came on, one in the middle and one at the end.

Dec. 31, 1978; Carlisle, England in Cumbria
7:00 PM. A silver triangle crossed the sky from west to east.

Dec. 31, 1978; Edinborough, Scotland
7:02 PM. A triangle with a grayish hue crossed the sky from west to east.

Dec. 31, 1978;  Hull, England
7:05 PM. A huge triangle was seen flying in the same direction. (Sources: Maurizio Verga, ITACAT Italian UFO Catalogue; UFO News clipping Service, February 1979, p. 13 citing the Hertfordshire Mercury, December 31, 1978; D. N. Mansell, Awareness, April 1979, p. 12).

Dec. 31, 1978; Homestead, FL
3:00 PM. EST. Three men saw a silver disc hovering only one block away from one of their residences in Homestead. Mr. Betancourt, age 37, described the UFO as being between 40-50 feet in diameter and having no visible engine or wings, and making no noise. It hovered over a neighbors backyard for about 30 seconds before flying off.

Dec. 31, 1978; Zermatt, Switzerland
10:00 PM European. Two people witnessed a luminous round object over the alpine glacier, brightly illuminating the ice. Later that night, at 2:30 a.m. the next morning (Jan 1, 1979), a big electrical power outage occurred in the city. (Sources: Dade News-Leader, January 3, 1979; Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 13046).


1. Volume II, The UFO Evidence, A Thirty-Year Report - Richard Hall, 2000

2. CUFOS report, Rodeghier,

Back to NICAP Chronology Home Page


Back to NICAP Home