The 1985 UFO Chronology
  Crashed saucer stories continued to circulate
38 years after Roswell

Created: April 15, 2008, updated 13 Jan 2015
This is currently a 5-page chronology of UFO incidents and events for 1985
. Our thanks for these chronologies must go to Richard Hall (the original 1985 chronology from UFOE II), Dan Wilson (archive researcher), and Jean Waskiewicz (online NICAP DBase [NSID]. You will note the many foreign reports that we are now being able to access. Our special thanks to Dan Wilson for getting those to us. As more come in, this page will be updated. Previous chronologies (1947 to 1969) involved the expertise of two other team members: William Wise (Project Blue Book Archive) and Brad Sparks (Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns). Bob Gribble's entries are those filed with the National UFO Reporting Center in Seattle, Washington, now operated by Peter Davenport.

Francis Ridge
NICAP Site Coordinator

The 1985 UFO Chronology

Jan. 18, 1985; Waldeslust, France
8:00 PM. On this evening a green glowing disc crossed a road in Waldeslust, France at a low altitude. There was a plasma glow surrounding the object. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, issue 306).

Feb., 1985; Soviet Union
2:35 AM. A freight train consisting of 70 empty cars and a locomotive was followed to the city of Kostomuksha through Petrozavodsk and Suoyarvi.  The train, piloted by the conductor, Orlov, and his mate, Mironov, passed the station of Essoila, when suddenly, Orlov noticed some strange object behind the trees moving parallel with the train. The object let out a ray of light toward the ground and then drew it in. Mironov could not speak for a moment as he saw the ball cross the railway and start moving 30-50 meters ahead of the train. Orlov tried to stop the engine and slammed on the brakes to avoid collision with the bright ball, but the train would not stop. The men felt as if hypnotized and stared at the mysterious object, a regular geometrical form of about four meters in diameter that moved silently above the surface as if drifting. When the train was approaching the Novye Peski station, Orlov switched on his portable radio and contacted a woman on duty who went out to meet the approaching train and she was surprised to see the shining ball followed by the vibrating object looking like an upturned basin, and then the train appeared, moving at about 60 km per hour. It seemed that the ball might hit the station, but right before the switch, the ball suddenly separated from the diesel locomotive and passed around the building, but the train would not stop and passed right by. The conductor and the mate mention only the ball because they could not see the object resembling an upturned basin from the cab. As soon as the ball passed the switch it immediately rushed to the train. When it moved off the train, its speed reduced at least by half. The diesel locomotive twitched heavily, and the men inside of the cab hit against the windshield. However, the locomotive increased its speed as soon as the shining ball approached the train again. The train managed to stop only near the Zastava station and the ball disappeared behind the forest. The crew had to wait for a train coming from the opposite direction of the city of Petrozavodsk. The conductor got out of the cab to examine the wheels and as soon as he walked around the locomotive he felt some strange force press him against the machine. He could not move, but when he could the man could hardly reached the cab. As soon as he reached the cab, the train started off as if it was waiting for the man to take the seat. The train kept on moving for some time until the shining ball disappeared behind the forest. Those involved in the incident experienced a strong nervous shock. Automatic recorders of the locomotive and other official documents prove the reliability of the strange incident. The shining ball was noticed earlier at the Kutizhma station even before it came across the train #1702. 1 hour 20 mins)he train over 50 kilometers.

March 1, 1985; Randburg, South Africa
Three silent, teardrop-shaped objects flew quickly over the city of Randburg, South Africa in a V formation, heading toward the northeast. (Source: Cynthia Hind, UFO Afri News, July 1990).

March 14, 1985; Riverview, MO
7:13 PM. Two witnesses.  Lady driving car saw three bright lights, two of which "went out". The other light turned into red and white blinking lights on a boomerang-shaped craft which passed directly over her and then pretty much stayed in one place from 7:13 to 8:15, while the other two lights/craft flew over the area from W-E. "Mother ship" changed from white to red, started blinking while it receded into the west. Other objects followed and disappeared by 8:20. Main object had come as close as 700' to witness, qualifying as a CE1. However, ARTC was faintly painting two stationary targets, making this a possible RV. The MTI (Moving Target Indicator) Mode was off and stationary targets should not have been painted. Objects had faint engine sounds and were observed for over an hour. (Becker)

April 26, 1985; Gomoab, Namibia, Africa
8:00 PM. A shiny sphere was sighted over a farm near Gomoab, Namibia, Africa. The next morning a 15-meter deep well was found dry. (Source: Cynthia Hind, UFO Afri News, July 1991).

May 26,1985; Around Interstate 84, Newtown and Southbury, CT
9:30 PM. For some reason unknown the giant boomerang UFO had shifted it's activities from New York to Nearby Connecticut. The most recent sightings took place around interstate 84 one of the most heavily traveled highways in the northeast. Between 9:30 and 10:15 PM more than 200 people phoned local and state police to report a huge object with bright lights flying low over the highway near the towns of Newtown and Southbury in Connecticut. Those witnesses that called state police in Southbury were told that it was nothing more than a group of Ultra light aircraft from Candlewood airport flying in close formation and hanging colored lanterns from the bottom of the plane. The police also told witnesses that the aircraft were painted black so that all that can be seen is the lights. Many of the witnesses to the phenomenon found it very hard to believe the official explanation. (See report link above, Imbrogno)

June 11, 1985;  Lanzhou, Gansu Province, China
10:40 PM. A Chinese Civil Aviation Administration Boeing 747 encountered a UFO on the Peking to Paris flight that almost forced the captain to make an emergency landing. Flight CA 933 was over Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu Province, at 2240 hours when Captain Wang Shuting and his crew first observed the object.. The UFO flew across the path of the airliner at its altitude of 33,000 feet at a very high speed. The object illuminated an area of twenty-five to thirty square miles and was huge, with an apparent diameter of six miles. It was elliptical in shape and had an extremely bright spot in the center, with three horizontal rows of bluish-white lights on the perimeter. The sighting lasted for two minutes. (Source: Timothy Good, Above Top Secret, pg. 212).

Top Secret UFO reports are being withheld. This is an example Intelligence withdrawal notice, referencing an October 15, 1955 document. (Source: Above Top Secret, Good, 529)

July, 1985; Columbus, OH
Evening. Close encounter, one witness, object with rays. (MUJ-220)

Aug. 3, 1985; Lafayette, IN
8:00 PM.  Two observers were driving East of bypass 52 coming from the West side of Lafayette, saw object in the East low on the horizon. Mr. XXX saw it first. The object never moved. As they came up on it and directly under it, it got brighter. When under it, near the Purdue Campus, it appeared to be the size of a paper dollar at arm's length, shaped like a triangle with three corners "squared off". The color of the object was blackish to slate gray and it had three lights on it (each side and bottom), wasn't an equilateral triangle - it had one small end. The bright light, upon closer scrutiny, was actually smaller lights. The object appeared to be lower than 200'. The distance from the ground and observer makes this a close encounter. (Sievers)

August 31, 1985; Laughlin, NV
10:00 PM. A UFO, shape unknown, rose from the ground near US Highway 95 in Laughlin, Nevada. It directed beams of light on cars and a house, and radio interference was reported. (Source: Robert Gribble, UFO Reporting Center, Seattle, case 1028).

Sept. 15, 1985; Bagshot Heath, Surrey, UK
Disc-shaped object hovered ahead of car; second object paced alongside car, bright illumination of area (Ref.1, Section IX).

Oct. 2, 1985; Vincennes, IN
12:45 AM. Female (48-50 years-old)  sighted object during walk from home to work. Duration of sighting: 5-minutes. Witness said she saw a. dark gray rectangular shape "like a cracker box" with very bright white lights on each end. The lights blinked on and off alternately ("not a strobe"). Object was first seen at 60-degrees above the horizon to the north. It moved erratically back and forth making banking turns. Object last seen at 45-degrees above horizon to the west, lost behind building and trees. No sound was heard. Witness could not give estimate of object's size. (UPRO)

Oct. 16, 1985; West Haven, CT
11:30 PM. A delta-shaped UFO flew over the beach at West Haven, Connecticut. The witness received burns on his body that resembled a sunburn while standing under the object. (Source: George C. Andrews, Extra-Terrestrials Among Us, p. 314).

Nov. 19, 1985; Madison, WI
Silent, triangular object with body lights (Ref.1, Section IX).

Nov. 22, 1985: DeForest; WI
Silent triangular object (Ref.1, Section IX).

Dec. 20, 1985; Meliden, Wales
On this night a red ovoid object rose from a quarry in Meliden, Wales into the clouds. (Source: Paul Devereax, Earth Lights Revelation, p. 73).

Dec. 26, 1985; Ulster County, NY
Whitley Strieber alien encounter (Ref.1, Section XIII). 


1. Volume II, The UFO Evidence, A Thirty-Year Report - Richard Hall, 2000

2. CUFOS report, Rodeghier,