Feb. 8, 1973; Pana, IL
Evening. Three boys reported they saw an orange ball coming out of the west. When they turned off their car lights, almost at once the object seemed to turn off its lights. Ten minutes later they saw it again, moving to the north. (SL-66,16)

Feb. 21, 1973; Elsinore, MO
Evening. Six witnesses reported a close encounter with an object with a row of lights, hovering at 50' altitude. (Reggie Bone incident) (Rutledge, PID,6)

<http://www.nicap.org/grandtower730322dir.htm>March 22, 1973; Grand Tower, IL
9:15 p.m. Object approximately 1,500' high hovered over power plant. Witness estimated the object's size at 25' in diameter (250 yards away). He described the object as a ring of lighted panels or windows with definite spacing between windows, each emitting pulsating light varying from a dark red-to-orange-to-white sequenced in a clockwise rotation like a theater marquee. Witness said the object was doughnut-shaped, or more like a wedding band, since only the lighted panels were visible. (Newsclipping, SL66,7)

April 6, 1973; Charleston, MO
Mrs. Dorothy Thompson saw an egg-shaped object at treetop level after her TV set went off and on, and she saw a bright flash of light in her kitchen.

April 6, 1973; Ellsinore, MO
At 11:30 a.m. a domed disc-shaped object with portholes and landing gear came down and landed in the woods four miles west of Ellsinore, Missouri. At the landing site were found three holes in the ground arranged in a triangle pattern, and some damaged foliage. (Sources: Ted Phillips, Physical Traces Associated with UFO Sightings, case 541; BUFORA Journal, December 1973; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty Year Report, p. 263).

April 12, 1973: SE of Piedmont, MO
10:30 p.m. Orange ball of light observed from Cessna 150 at 2500'. OBOL (orange ball of light) appeared on slope of Clark's Mountain, disappeared when a/c turned toward it. Simultaneously identical light appeared to the right. When a/c banked again, the object shot straight up. (Rutledge) (PID,15)
<http://www.nicap.org/waves/1973_ac_incidents.jpg>Table 1, 116

April 12, 1973; Farmington, MO
10:30 p.m. A BOL (ball of light) was chased by Piper Cherokee, same night as Piedmont incident. (PID,18)

April 19, 1973; Stoddard County, MO
Sheriffs and others on April 10 reported at least three UFOs over Bernie and in Dexter. Objects changed color from white to red to blue, moved irregularly across the sky, starting and stopping and changing speeds.

May 6, 1973; Kokomo, IN
Humanoid report, no details, listed in directory and UFOFC files. (EGBA,675)

May 11, 1973; Piedmont, MO
8:10 p.m. Row of seven lights observed for 45 seconds by Harley Rutledge and three other members of Project Identification team. (Project Identification, page 42)

May 12, 1973; Near Kent, OH
9:20 p.m. The witness was driving west on Route 76, near Kent, when he observed a group of flashing lights overhead, almost directly above the car. They moved along the highway with him until finally, out of curiosity, he stopped; so did the lights. Looking up through the windshield, at close to a 90 degree angle, he could see a football shaped object that flashed from red to blue to white, in a repeating cycle; as he watched, he saw a figure materialize approximately 10 feet below the object. The figure was human in shaped, clad all in silver, and rapidly descended to the highway directly in front of the car; when it reached the pavement, the figure was standing rigidly in a position looking to the right, then turned its head to look directly into the windshield at the witness. After about a half a minute, the figure again ascended rapidly, "like a helium balloon," towards the object; disappearing before it reached it. It was shaped exactly like a human, but was entirely silver in color, lacking hair and ears; eyes, a "Dutch" nose and narrow mouth, with small pointed chin, were observed by the witness. He was uncertain as to whether the silvery body was a close fitting garment or the actual skin color, for he saw what appeared to be the faint outline of a vein running down the inside of one of the figure's arms, which he held rigidly downward; on the feet he saw what appeared to be boots or shoes, with a heavy, distinct line between the sole and boot itself. No line of demarcation could be seen between the shoe, or boot and the lower leg. The height of the figure was not much more than 2.5 feet; and it descended to a position approximately ten feet in front of the car. After the figure ascended, the object moved rapidly in a vertical ascent, rocking the car "as if a semi was passing it." (Humcat 1973-10; Source: Larry Moyers and Marc Candusso FSIC)

May 18, 1973; Pekin, IL
10:00 p.m. A large "unidentified flying object with an orange glow" was spotted over Pekin. Mrs. Charles Phillips said she and her family were in their car when they first noticed the object. They stopped the car and were able to see something over Edison Junior high school there appeared to be a dome which an orange light emanated and there was a pulsating motion evident. She said members of her family were not able to hear any sound from the object, which she guessed was about 90 feet up in the air. The object hovered over the area, proceeded out Court Street to the mall and then turned back and seemed to head toward the Illinois River. (TIMES, Pekin, IL, May 19)

May 19, 1973; Springfield, MO
9:00 p.m. A blue cylindrical shaped UFO made a low silent pass. It was seen again that same night after midnight. (Source: Springfield (MO) News Leader,

May 24, 1973; Farmington, MO
Evening. Noiseless, wing-like object of unidentified nature observed by four members of Project Identification team. (Project Identification, Page 79)

Summer of 1973; Littleyork, IN
9:30 p.m. Four people in a car were driving near Weston Lake when a bright floodlight-type light was pointed at them. The object was behind the witnesses and off to the right. They stopped their car and watched the object, described as a "flat-bottomed catfish-shaped" object, as it passed overhead and off to the right at 65-70 mph and about 100' up. An airflow-like whistle could be heard as it passed low overhead and headed SE. Duration: 10 mins. (FI-4 /Palmiter/ MUFON Indiana)

June 2, 1973; Divernon, IL
2:15 to 2:30 a.m. The UFO had a series of bright running lights, much like one would see on any other aircraft. Suddenly, a large orange-red light was turned on beneath the UFO which lit up the entire landscape. The witness couldn't tell if  it was from one source or several lights, but; it was all from toe same craft. He stopped and turned engine off, got| out and watched about ten or fifteen minutes.  "There wasn't a sound," he said. "And there was an airplane flying high overhead, which we heard. This was much closer, perhaps a thousand feet away, some 500' feet off the ground." The unusual item moved quickly to the north, then seemed to travel around the city of Springfield, to the east. (Courier, Jacksonville, IL, June 3)

June 14, 1973; Princeton, IL
UFOs were sighted by three young girls traveling Interstate 80, five 'miles west of Princeton at approximately 3:38 a.m. State Police District 7 in Rock Island reported. The girls, ages 18 and 19, from Albany, N.Y., and Bristolville, Ohio, told investigating troopers that they had seen a silver, gray and black flying object emitting a green mellow light. The girls said that the object made several maneuvers in a rapid manner, and, prior to disappearing, two other objects were accompanying the first one. The girls said the object was flying in a southeast to northwest direction. Another traveler at the rest area, a Milwaukee man, allegedly photographed the objects with a high powered camera, but he had left the area before troopers arrived at the scene, troopers said. (Times, Ottaw, IL, Jun 15)

June 19, 1973; Cape Girardeau, MO
7:12 p.m. Dull gray, bullet-shaped object observed for several seconds by Harley Rutledge of Project Identification. (Project Identification, page139)

June 20, 1973; Fort Wayne, IN
10:30 p.m. One resident reported seeing a large hovering aerial object described as round or pear-shaped with four or five red lights on top and bottom and a large white light atop. It was dome shaped at top and rounded at bottom with what appeared to be a partitioned frame within the window. Another resident said she saw the object while en route to a food market. For awhile it was above her auto at a height estimated at equivalent to a block or two. After moments it suddenly took off eastward at unbelievable speed, gradually disappearing. Lights on the object dimmed gradually before its departure. (SL-70, page 10)

<http://www.ufoinfo.com/onthisday/June23.html>June 23, 1973: Piedmont, MO
10:30 p.m. From a cabin on the Rothwell Ranch, two men watched as a bright light that had a ring around it rose from low on the ESE horizon, moved up-down, then left-right, for a distance of 15 degrees over a 30 minute period beginning at 10:30 p.m. The object silently radiated lines of concentric circles like heat waves. At one point a small light joined the first object. (Source: MUFON database of field investigations, case file dated July 9, 1973, field investigator Dan A. Rothwell).

<http://www.nicap.org/ar-730628dir.htm>June 28, 1973; Columbia, MO
Mobile home park UFO landing, sound, E-M, animal reactions, light beams, bright illumination, physical traces (UFOE II, Section I).

<http://www.ufoinfo.com/onthisday/June28.html>June 28, 1973; Sandoval, II
At 9:00 p.m. Mr. & Mrs. Sanders saw a cone-shaped UFO with multicolored lights at treetop level while driving on Route 51. The UFO made two circles over the highway, then headed off toward the south making a roaring sound. Their eyes were "foggy" for two days following their close encounter. (Source: John F. Schuessler, Physiological Effects from UFOs, case investigation report dated July 22, 1973).

July 6, 1973; Fairfield, IL
Four boys (ages 14-18) saw an illuminated object shaped like a "flat football" near Fairfield Airport about 10 p.m. as they were on the road to Miriam. Earlier, about 8:00 p.m. the same object was seen by two other boys near the Drive In Theatre and Fairfield Gun Club, as it passed over their car heading toward Geff. The boys located the sheriff and his deputy at the Regal 8 Inn at Fairfield and reported the sighting. The men went outside to look, saw nothing, and made light of the boys' report. The two boys returned to the site where they had seen the object, spotted it again to the west and then followed it to Geff where it was then lost to view behind some trees. The boys said the object was football shaped, with red and white alternating lights around it and was the size of a half dollar held at arms length. (SL-70, page 10)

<http://www.nicap.org/waves/ar-730713dir.htm>July 13, 1973; Emden, MO
3:30 a.m. Began with barking dog. The object was described as egg shaped or oblong, about the size of an average car.  It had a 3-dimensional appearance, “..like you could look through it, or right into it." The outside was orange and toward the center it was brighter and a slightly different color. The colors were described as similar to setting sun but not dark enough to be considered red. The night was very quiet with no wind. (AR Case, Woodward)

Aug., 1973; Elizabethtown, KY
A news clipping mentioned that a 16-year-old boy had seen a UFO "shaped like a trapezoid, only rounded off on the bottom". This was early August and could have been at the same time as the other cases listed below, however many miles away.

<http://www.nicap.org/7308XXprinceton_dir.htm>Aug. 1973 (exact date unknown), Princeton, IN
9:00 p.m. Three persons hastily left a place in Illinois they had visited when a bad storm came up. While driving closer to home at Princeton, Indiana, they saw an object. As they got closer to it, before lightning struck, they saw what looked like clearance lights, one on each side of it. Later on it proved to be four, of whatever the light was, dotted around the "cupola". The object was a classic disc with a straight up & down cupola, rather than the usual dome. And beneath it was a super-dark cone which apexes below the tree level. And this thing (the cone) didn't appear to be solid. The cone was sort of wide at the bottom of the saucer and evidently went to a point which would have been the opposite of a flashlight beam. (UFO Filter Center Files, FI Fran Ridge, MUFON SSD).

Aug. 4, 1973; Greenup, IL
Bud Sedgwick had been cultivating beans southeast of Greenup until his wife and her parents Mr. and Mr. Delos Robbins drove to the fields to pick him up shortly after 8 o'clock, Saturday night, August 4th. They were on a country road east of Greenup going west, just south of the Penn Central Railroad tracks when, "All of a sudden there it was, it was coming at us sideways at treetop level," Sedgwick said. He slammed on the brakes and one of the women was thrown against the dashboard of the car. The fast moving object was rectangular "and had the shape of a large boxcar," Sedgwick said. He described it as being "all the same color, a pale color." It wasn't overly brilliant and it didn't hurt their eyes to look at it. "It was right in front of us. We had a clear view, there was no guessing." He estimated the object to be about a half mile from them and he said it appeared to settle into a cornfield, with one end of the rectangle going down first, then the other end also disappearing from view. (SL-71, page 5)

Aug. 4, 1973; Greenup, IL
Evening. Bill McMorris and his son were on their way home from an evening of fishing near Hidalgo, Ill. Coming north on Route 130 through the hollows south of Greenup they saw the object across the top of a farm house owned by Walter Gabel. "It was as big as a house," McMorris, publisher of the Greenup newspaper, said. It was at least three-fourths of a mile away and seemed to be coming down, he said. He lost sight of it when he went down into a dip in the road, and when he came up the other side of the hill, it was gone. He too said it was evenly illuminated, no one spot any brighter than any other. (SL-71, page 5)

Aug. 4, 1973; Greenup, IL
Patty Markwell, 13, was in her mother's car on the way to the Tastee Freeze when she saw the object. "I just saw the end of it over the trees," she said. "It was real bright,  it looked like light bulbs. It looked like somebody had a string on it, and just pulled it down." Her mother, busy driving, couldn't take her eyes off the road when Patty called out there was something real bright in the sky, and she didn't see it. (SL-71, page 5)

Aug. 19, 1973; Greenup, IL
One report report came from a Charleston resident who said a UFO had landed "about 200 feet from my car in the country and then tried to get me on the way back to Charleston." (SL-71, page 5)

Sept., 1967; Brownsville, IN
2:00 a.m. Main features of case; disk craft observed at very close range. Witness tried three times to touch craft. Reached within a foot or so of its edge with his hand only to have it zip away. (Worley files/Ridge/MUFON Indiana)

Sept. 2, 1973; Milroy, IN
2:30 PM. Short term abduction.  Dark green object observed in rear view mirror. Sped at auto and hovered at back window where it appeared to be a greyish illuminated object with transparent glass curved front. Two indistinct figures appeared on seats inside the window. Witness mesmerized and shown scenes on his rear window while traveling a short distance down highway. (Investigated for CUFOS. by Don Worley)

Sept. 5, 1973; Morris, IL
11:30 p.m. 20-mins. Discoid object hovered over Northern Petro Chemical Company plant. Brief power failure reported. (SL-71, page 12)

<http://www.nicap.org/730920skylabIII_dir.htm>Sept. 20, 1973; ORBIT, over Indian Ocean
On the 59th day of flight Skylab III, the three-man crew saw and photographed a strange red object (see photos). Not more than 30-50 nautical miles from them, Alan Bean, Owen Garriott and Jack Lousman reported the object was brighter than any of the planets. Unexplained.

Sept. 23, 1973; Fort Wayne, IN
7:20 p.m. Witness waiting to turn into Glenbrook Shopping Center. Observed huge object shaped like an ocean liner with rounded back and flat bottom and top. There were 5 rows of throbbing yellow lights on the side of the slowly moving object. Moved out of sight behind trees. No sound. (Worley files)

Sept. 24, 1973; Fort Wayne, IN
Evening. Two patrolmen saw an unidentified light while checking on a report from a woman from Churubosco. Object moved slowly. Authorities at Baier Field were notified. No a/c or balloons launched, but they also saw the object in the west. (SL-72, page 15)

Sept. 29, 1973; Quincy, IL
8:30 p.m. Sheriff's officers trailed an unidentified flying object {UFO) from the edge of Quincy to Baldwin Field before it disappeared . A night deputy manning the sheriff's  radio watch said a call was received about 8:30 p.m. Saturday from Halfpap's Trailer Court that an object was in the sky near there. The radio officer said patrol deputies sent in response to the call sighted the object shortly after reaching the area and began trailing it. The object moved east to Baldwin Field, where it became stationary. Officers said a the object hovered a short time and then disappeared. The radio officer said that apparently while the patrol officers were keeping the object under observation at the airport, a call was received from the Camp Point area reporting the object. The officer said the caller told him that dogs were barking and other animals seemed upset. A check with the FAA at Baldwin Field showed no planes were in the area at the time, the radio officer said. Radar in Kansas  City, Mo., reported only an airplane near Hannibal, Mo., moving west, the officer said. (SL-72, 14)

Sept. 29, 1973; Obiob County, KY
Evening. Couple saw a bright-red light swoop down close enough to to the earth to light up 1-1/2 acres of land, nearly causing a 7-car pile-up on SR 78 near Reelfoot Lake. (SL-72, page 10)

Sept. 30, 1973; Columbus, OH
9:30 p.m. Franklin County man found landing site of object he saw hovering near his home. Site was in a field of waist-high weeds about 1/4 mile south of Hall Rd. west of Outerbelt. Weeds had been crushed to ground in semi-oval area 20'x30' - no scorch marks. Object swooped down in zigzag pattern and dropped below trees. Several dozen sightings were reported. (News clipping, no source/date)

Oct. (date not determined), 1973; Red Bud, IL
2:30 p.m. Four-engine prop plane took evasive action to avoid collision with strange, horseshoe-shaped object. Plane flew south, object left easterly direction at high speed. Ends of horseshoe, which were down, looked like "bubbles". Person reporting stated that fishing "bobbers" kept popping out of the water as object made 1/4 turns and passed over pond. (SL-76,4)

Oct. (date not determined), 1973; between Columbus and Mansfield, OH
While driving after midnight, a man saw a light flashing to his left, then right, then in front. It gained speed and disappeared ahead of his car.  He lost conscious memory while driving at 70 mph, and regained consciousness driving at 85-90 mph on the same highway.  On arrival at his home in Cleveland he discovered a lapse of time he could not account for of 55 minutes to an hour and twenty-five minutes.  A series of disturbing psychic experiences had occurred to the witness before and after this time. In late winter of 1974-75 the witness went to a psychologist in an attempt to recall the missing interval. Under regressive hypnosis the witness saw himself turning off I-71, asking himself "Why am I doing this?", and driving down a dark, narrow tree-lined road, seeing three beings on the road, one with both arms and legs outstretched, forming the silhouette of an X. Two others were closer to his car.  He next saw two sets of eyes ahead and a face forming and shimmering on his left. Each set of eyes was projected into his brain and out again.  His next impression was of approaching a craft with a door on the upper side. He felt terror but as he passed through the door he felt relief.  He next felt himself lying on a table and saw beings with a silvery metallic look. One was bending over looking at his legs. A brightly lighted instrument was brought close to his head, hurting his eyes.  Presently he was out of the craft, standing and watching it lift off. It was black, outlined by a shimmering white light. (Ref. 5, First hand investigation).

Oct. (no date determined), 1973; Blyton, IN
6:00 p.m. A lady and her son observed some strange lights in the east, but had to leave to attend a school program. On their way they stopped and got out of the car to get a better look and a large domed disc came out of the north, heading south. It was described as "at least 30' across, and looked like two dinner plates; one sitting normal, the other face down on it and a dome on top." It was metallic gray, had colored lights on it, but the main witness was not sure where. She reported something that looked like "large windows, where the dome was on the round saucer part." The object headed south, curved SW and they lost sight of it. (MUFON Indiana, FI Drescher/Ridge files)

Oct. 1, 1973; Giles, TN
Evening. Two witnesses reported egg-shaped object with brilliant light on top disappear behind nearby trees. Imprints were found. (SL-76,17)

Oct. 1, 1973; Anthony Hill, TN
8:15 p.m. Three teenagers saw a huge, hairy robot-like creature that walked mechanically with its hands upraised. It had a large head. An egg-shaped UFO was also seen at the same time. This occurred during a thunderstorm. Imprints were later found. (CHR 73, 11)

Oct. 3, 1973; Polo, IL
Evening. Police officer saw object over Mt. Morris that appeared to project its orange glow in a beam toward the ground and moved with occasional stops. "Seemed to follow (Burlington Northern) RR tracks", Hoak said. Sheriff's deputies also reported seeing the object in the sky in W. Ogle County. (News clipping)

Oct. 3, 1973; Jackson, MO
6:15 a.m. Truck driver injured by UFO: The Eddie Doyle Webb case. (John Schuessler/Edward O'Herin, Sympap93, 60-84)

Oct. 5, 1973; Zeigler, IL
3:00 a.m. 15 mins. Lady saw object emitting high intensity light that hovered near her residence. She thought her hallway light was left on and got up to turn it off and saw the UFO and the back yard bright as day. The light hurt her eyes. Vision affected all day. (NCS)

Oct. 5, 1973; Laurel, IN
6:16 p.m. No sound/3 mins. House sized object seen through binoculars. Bottom of hovering object had pale grey lines that divided it into three sections. In each section was a circle of lines in the white bottom.(?) (Worley files)

Oct. 5, 1973; Connersville, IN
7:17 p.m. Buzzing sound heard by some. Police received about 100 calls. Approx 1.5 hours. Unseen shape with red and white lights. A few saw circular shape. Object hovered, jumped, made fantastic low altitude passes over city. (Worley files)

Oct. 5, 1973; Waterloo, IN
8:15 p.m. 3 Hours 45 Mins. Object sat in eastern sky from 8:15 to nearly midnight, when it finally diminished into a light point. Mushroom shaped with flat bottom. Red flashing light on top. Hanging down under the object were long ropes. These were described as being about the thickness of a man's arm, and about half as long as the height of the craft. There were three of these on each side of the bottom and they did not hang straight down but rather slanted a little to the outside. The craft and ropes all glowed a beautiful gold color. Two witnesses. (Worley files)

Oct. 6, 1973; Egypt Attacks Israel
The Yom Kippur War, Ramadan War or October War , also known as the 1973 Arab-Israeli War and the Fourth Arab-Israeli War, was fought from October 6 to October 26, 1973, between Israel and a coalition of Arab nations led by Egypt and Syria. The war began on the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur with a surprise joint attack by Egypt and Syria crossing the cease-fire lines in the Sinai and Golan Heights, respectively, which had been captured by Israel in 1967 during the Six-Day War. The war had far-reaching implications for many nations.

Oct. 7, 1973; Middleton, OH
10:00 pm. Cigar shaped object with disks. No sound. Huge orange cigar shaped object with 5 accompanying disks moving rapidly through sky over city. Many retirees in complex of apartments and people on streets viewed objects. Same objects seen several nights before by many others. Many calls to Wright Patterson Air Force Base. (Worley files)

Oct. 9, 1973; Fort Wayne, IN
Evening, Military radar at nearby Baer Field picked up the object, but officers were unable to contact the craft or determine what it was. Police said 750 persons spotted the UFO and calls came in from 15 different areas. (Kirksville, Mo. "Daily Express", SL-73,12)

Oct. 9, 1973; Eaton, IN
7:30 p.m. No. sound. One hour plus. Object hovered above canning factory in residential area of town. Factory employees observed object over plant and finally west of it. Chief of Police thought the lighted object may have been 3,000 or 4,000 high, and attempted to photograph it with no luck. Multicolored lights in circle on object pulsing or moving in counterclockwise sequence. Other sightings this time period and police received about 200 calls. (Worley files)

Oct. 10, 1973; Near Dayton, OH
8:00 p.m. At least 15 sightings of unidentified flying objects "covered with red, green and blue lights" zooming about at tree-top level, were reported in Southwestern Ohio Wednesday night. The UFOs, sighted in the Dayton-Cincinnati area, were all classified "unofficial" by Wright-Patterson Air Force Base officials. None were detected on radar because they apparently were flying too low. The first sighting was reported shortly after 8 p.m. by a New Lebanon Township officer. "He didn't want to say he saw it, but he said it," Montgomery County Sheriff's deputy Michael Sullivan reported. "The officer said it was oblong and covered with lights. It appeared stationary in the sky about tree top level for several minutes until he tried to shine his cruiser spot light on it," Sullivan said. "It then zoomed toward him and then shot straight up in the air... after he turned out his light... and disappeared." Sullivan said the UFO sightings lasted from a fleeting moment to 12 minutes. "They would be behind the trees and come up and fly away... as if you startled it or something," he said. "No balloon, helicopter or kite can move that fast or has that many lights attached or can go so quickly in a straight-up direction," he said. A spokesman at Wright-Patterson, whose UFO center was discontinued several years ago, said there would be no attempt to investigate the sightings unless there was an "imminent danger." Sullivan said his officers 'certainly can't chase them." (UPI, The Columbus Dispatch, October 11, 1973)

Oct. 11, 1973: Montgomery County, OH
Dawn. About fifty motorists pulled off the expressway to watch two plate-like objects. State Highway Patrol was dispatched. (SL-72,13)

<http://www.nicap.org/731011pascagoula_dir.htm>Oct. 11, 1973, Pascagoula, MS
7:00 p.m. The Pascagoula Incident involved two men, nineteen-year-old Calvin Parker and forty-two-year old Charles Hickson, both of Gautier, Mississippi, who were fishing in the Pascagoula River when they heard a buzzing noise behind them. Both turned and were terrified to see a ten-foot-wide, eight-foot-high, glowing egg-shaped object with blue lights at its front hovering just above the ground about forty feet from the river bank. As the men, frozen with fright, watched, a door appeared in the object, and three strange beings floated just above the river towards them. (See full report).

Oct. 11, 1973; Laurel, IN
7:30 p.m. 3-Mins. Sounded like swarm of bees. Object hovered over little town at tree top height. Jiggled up and down and sideways. Looked like two saucers together with cabin on top. Bottom was trisected with circle in each of these. Truck driver blew air horn and craft took off over trees at fantastic speed. (Worley files)

Oct. 11, 1973; Connersville, IN
7:50 p.m. Four witnesses reported two objects flew over at 400-800 feet and headed east. Each oval-shaped object looked like it had around 25 yellow and green lights, with a mist around them. (Worley files)

Oct. 12, 1973; Cincinnati, OH
Humanoid being observed in object like transparent "bell jar" (UFOE II, Section XII)

Oct. 14, 1973; West Central OH
About 80 reports of UFOs (discs with red and green lights, elliptical objects) by citizens and police.

Oct. (middle), 1973; Connersville, IN
Around 8:00 p.m. Grey fish-shaped object with plastic-like compartment on front and portholes on sides. Hull illuminated by some 25 gold colored lights around bottom. Witness experienced heat, and their ears hurt from the humming sound as object hovered and passed over field near Fountain St. Two dark figures with very large white eyes were in the pilots compartment. Seen from shoulders up these were thinner build than humans. Two more occupants of the same description were seen in portholes along side of craft. Witnesses afraid but did not run due to curiosity. (Worley files)

Oct. 14, 1973; Boston, OH
Evening. About eighty reports. Woman "hysterically" told law officers an oblong object with blinking lights landed in a field in Highland County. She was screaming and claimed a couple of cows were killed when the object landed. (SL-73,11)

Oct. 15, 1973; Martinsville, IN
Evening. In South Central Indiana, Morgan County Deputy Sheriff Robert Williams said he saw an unidentified flying object that "took off from the ground" Monday night just northeast of Martinsville. (News clipping)

Oct. 14, 1973; Greenfield, IN
Three men in their late teens observed a very bright round object having sequentially flashing white lights on the periphery and steady red and white lights seen below the periphery. The night was clear and the object was much larger and brighter than the stars and planets. The men observed the object for 5 to 10 minutes until it moved off at a rapid rate and disappeared behind the tree line on the horizon. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, December 1973, page 3)

Oct. 15, 1973; Connersville, IN
4:30 p.m. No sound, three witnesses, 45 seconds. Appeared six blocks from witnesses home. Silver colored oval dome on top with three green doors. Craft size of house. Three lines came together on bottom of craft. During this period in which the trisected UFO was seen three different times in this period of a few weeks no publicity had appeared in newspaper about what its bottom looked like. This one too sped off horizontally. (Worley files)

<http://www.nicap.org/huntington731015a.jpg>Oct. 15, 1973; Huntington, IN
Dusk. UFO terrorized Indiana farmer and his wife by chasing his truck as he raced for home. Object vanished in a dazzling burts of speed. (Press report)

Oct. 15, 1973; Connersville, IN
7:30p.m. Forty-five workers saw a round object during their break. Five men from the D & M Dishwashing Manufacturing Co. saw a round object over the AVCO test area. One witness rushed into the plant to tell others and a total of 45 watched the object. The object descended into the trees and rose up again and flew off in a northeastern direction. The object had yellow and blue lights reflecting onto silver. There was no sound connected with the UFO. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, February 1974, page 3)

Oct. 15, 1973; Connersville, IN
9:00 p.m. Oval with dome, no sound, 1 Min. Seen at rear of D&M Mfg. plant when workers stepped outside for break. Craft with row of yellow lights and intersecting lines on bottom hovered over Government contracted test facility (explosives) west of plant. This is 6 blocks north of where a craft hovered at 4:30. No landing indications found at site. (Worley files)

Oct. 15, 1973; Nr. Berea, TN
10:30 p.m. Awakened by the barking of their dogs, a farm family saw lights from a UFO in the woods. Then James Cline saw a being with a glowing white head cross the road 50 ft. away. Claw-like tracks were found in the road later as well as landing marks 22 ft long by 12 ft wide where the UFO had been. (UFOE II, Section VIII); CHR73,18)

Oct. 15, 1973; Connersville, IN
11:30 p.m. Three witnesses. No sound. Fishlike object suddenly grew larger and in the blink of an eye appeared just above the ground over a field on the north edge of E. Connersville. One abductee lost 1.5 hours. Humanoids, 4'. Eight to ten people seen onboard! (Worley files)

Oct. 16, 1973; London, OH
School bus driver saw a glowing yellow-orange oblong object moving west to east. Object hovered above some trees, its glow completely lighting up the area. Finally rose straight up and moved away. (UFOE II, Section VIII)

Oct. 16, 1973: Chillicothe, OH
Motorist buzzed by three luminous objects; one with blinding green light followed her home. About 15 minutes later a nearby Greenfield police officer reported following a huge object, white with a glowing red light, for about five miles." (UFOE II, Section VIII)

Oct. 17, 1973; Princeton, IN
4:40 p.m. Two young boys spotted a strange object just before dark. Described as silver and looking like a "fish", this distant object may have been an airplane reflecting sunlight, except that it hovered at first then took off real fast. Besides that, the "fish" description has cropped up several times in this chrono where little publicity was given. "Kevin came home in near panic," said Mrs. Charles Whitehead, Princeton 'That's how I knew it wasn't just a little boys' joke." Her nine-year-old son and his friend. Teddy Waldroup, 7, reported seeing the unusual object in the sky while playing at the St Joseph School playground. (Princeton Daily Clarion, Oct. 18)

Oct. 17, 1973; Connersville, IN
8:00 p.m. An 11-year-old girl and her cousin had been making a scarecrow in the front yard for Halloween. They heard a humming sound and thought that it was an airplane, but when the object that was producing the noise stopped dead above them, the humming quit. The object was saucer-shaped, silver gray on top, with bright lights along the bottom. They were so shocked that they didn't know what to do. So they just stood there and stared at it until what they described as "fogs" started to come out of the craft, then they ran into the house. There was a "pfft" sound when the "substance" was ejected. When their curiosity got the better of them, they went back into the yard. Three glowing white "fogs" or objects had come out of the object and one had circled the field. After this, the craft started to hum and headed towards the woods in the northeast. After a total of three minutes the object went below the tree-line and was lost to view. Witness had scoop mark type scar on her leg below her knee. (MUFON Indiana, FI Worley; Ridge files)

Oct. 17, 1973; Clinton, IL
Police and citizens saw as many as eight yellow-orange, highly maneuverable objects. (UFOE II, Section VIII)

Oct. 17, 1973; Johnson City, TN
Several sightings of UFOs: circular copper-colored object that descended, hovered near ground, took off straight up; tall humanoid being who accosted children; glowing red sphere that alternately hovered and moved. (UFOE II, Section VIII)

Oct. 17, 1973; Watauga, TN
Evening. A circular, copper-colored UFO hovered just off the ground while a 6 ft being reached out of a doorway and tried to grab two children. It had two claw-like hands and blinking eyes.(CHR73,21)

Oct. 18, 1973; Fort Knox, KY
7:15 a.m. Sergeant First Class Ralph E. Green, motor sergeant for the Headquarters Company 194th Armored Brigade, spotted the UFO Thursday morning. "I was walking up the road by the motor pool and I caught sight of this extreme burst of light twirling in the air. It had a bright red light on top and a bright red light on bottom. And in between were these rotating lights . . .green, blue, yellow,  and red." He described the object as oval-shaped with a dark background. It seemed. enormous although it was too far away to really estimate its size. "It was roughly a mile or so away and roughly 1,000 feet off the ground," he said. When Green first saw the UFO, it was slowly coming toward him, but then it slowed and "hovered over a wooded area in the tank trails by the motor pool," he explained. Green yelled at PFC Eddie R. Halstead, who was working in the motor pool's tool room. PFC Halstead also described the UFO as circular with red, green, blue end yellow lights flashing around the center . . ."like a Christmas tree."..."The UFO hovered over the area for a while, SFC Green said. "It was positioned so still. . .it looked like it would fall out of the sky. It wasn't even moving, then it slowly started to veer off to the right, made a real sharp right turn and disappeared. It went so fast it went plumb out of sight." (Louisville Courier, Oct. 25)

Oct. 18, 1973; Rosewood, OH
7:30 p.m. American Airlines Flight 21, a Boeing 747 at 33,000' encountered apparently the same UFO witnessed by Capt. Coyne and his crew over Mansfield, OH. (CUFOS,92)

Oct. 18, 1973; Galion, OH
9:00 p.m. (+-) Walter and Mary Kowalchik near Mansfield were talking on the local network of  their Ham radio group with Richard Swain, a Technical Sergeant in the Air Force, who was in Galion, Ohio. Kowalchik reported: Swain said, "There's something strange. First of all, it's a strange light. No airplane has a light like that. It's an orange glow, rather than a flashing red or green. And secondly," he said, "it isn't behaving like an aircraft. -Now wait a minute, there's something strange herel" And he was all excited.  He was in Galion and he said it was heading towards Shelby. (Ref. 7, page 87, Zeidman)

Oct. 18, 1973; Shelby, OH
9:00 p.m. (+-) Now it so happens that Mr. Eldon Heck sent his wife out in the yard to scan the skies while he was on the air. She came back to report that she was sighting something strange over the Shelby area. (Ref. 7, page 87, Zeidman)

Oct. 18, 1973: Mansfield area, OH
9:00 p.m. (+-) Then we have a report from Gordon Sponseller who was also in the Air National Guard, and he reported while on the air, "There is a strange object. I can't identify it because all I can see is a light. I cannot see an object, but I can see a strange light, and the manner in which it is maneuvering­it' s very rapidly in one direction and then a sudden stop."  Sponseller said that no object with any mass at all could possibly stop that suddenly. "Something is strange," he said. "Either someone is shining a light against some clouds, or it's a type of maneuvering that is very fast." (Ref. 7, page 87, Zeidman)

Oct 18, 1973; SW of Mansfield, OH
9:00 p.m. (approx) The Kowalchik sighting. Mary sighted an aircraft in the sky, and she knew it was an aircraft because of the flashing lights on the craft, and it was moving at a very steady rate across the sky like an airplane would, whereas the other object was moving very rapidly from spot to spot on the skyline. So Mary called Walter out and as he got there she said, "Look at that! Oh my God, they're gonna crash!"  Because they were on a collision course­at least it appeared from there, and they did come close together and veered off--the orange object veered off, and the plane kept going on, and that's about the extent of our sighting. (Ref. 7, page 88, Zeidman)

<http://www.nicap.org/731018mtvernon_dir.htm>Oct. 18, 1973; Mt. Vernon, IN
10:30 p.m. Lady had gone to bed but was disturbed by a noise, described as sounding like a barge on the river. She decided to go outside and check it out. She saw an object over her garage and to the south, merely an outline produced by as many as 50 lights, not exactly evenly-spaced. It didn't appear to have any body, and it had a red flashing light on the rear, long and narrow, about 3 times as long as it was wide, moving real slow East to West. She observed the long side view about 3 minutes, and right in front of her house it turned south toward the river and she saw the end view, described as like a squared-off cigar. At this time it was really low and she said she should have seen metal as it went past a tree. 5 minutes. (UFO Filter Center Files, FI Fran Ridge, MUFON SSD).

<http://www.nicap.org/731018mansfield_dir.htm>Oct. 18, 1973; Mansfield, OH
11:05 p.m. Army Reserve helicopter encountered domed, craft-like object that beamed green light into cockpit, lifted helicopter off course (UFOE II). The Army helicopter 68-15444 was returning from Columbus, Ohio to Cleveland, Ohio, and southeast of Mansfield Airport, Ohio while flying at an altitude of 2500 feet and on a heading of 030 degrees, SSG Yanacsek observed a red light on the east horizon, 90 degrees to the flight path of the helicopter. Approximately 30 seconds later, SSG Yanacsek indicated the object was converging on the helicopter at the same altitude at an airspeed in excess of 600 knots and on a midair collision heading. Captain Coyne observed the converging object, took over the controls of the aircraft and initiated a power descent from 2500 feet to 1700 feet to avoid impact with the object. A radio call was initiated to Mansfield Tower who acknowledged the helicopter and was asked by Capt. Coyne if there were any high performance aircraft flying in the vicinity of Mansfield Airport, however there was no response received from the tower. The crew expected impact from the object; instead the object was observed to hesitate momentarily over the helicopter and then slowly continued on a westerly course accelerating at a high rate of speed, clear west of Mansfield Airport then turn 45 degrees heading to the Northwest. Capt. Coyne indicated the altimeter read a 100 fpm (feet per minute) climb and read 3500 feet with the collective in the full down position. The aircraft was returned to 2500 feet by Capt. Coyne and flown back to Cleveland, Ohio. The flight plan was closed and the FAA Flight Service Station notified of the incident. The radio returned to normal 10 minutes after the incident, having gone completely dead on both UHF and VHF frequencies just after Coyne had established contact with Mansfield control tower. Some witnesses on the ground reported seeing the helicopter as well as and object "like a blimp" and "as big as a school bus" hovering above the helicopter. When the UFO's green light appeared it was described by the witnesses as "like rays coming down and the helicopter, the trees, the road and everything turned green."  Capt Coyne : "From a speed of 600 mph, it abruptly slowed down to our exact speed of 100 mph and hovered above us." Co-pilot Jezzi: "The object was cigar-shaped, metallic grey, with a dome on top." Staff Sergeant Healey : "It was about 60 feet long, without any portholes or intake openings that we could see. At first it was just showing a red light in nose. Then a green spotlight at the back swept around and shone into our cabin." (Sources: Zeidman, NARCAP Case 36, <http://www.nicap.org/docs/coynefoiadoc1.jpg>Army Disposition Form, 23 Nov 1973 )

Oct. 19, 1973; Indianapolis, IN
Cessna pilot, object on radar. No details or listed source.

Oct. 19, 1973; Albany, OH
7:30 p.m. Upon arriving home, witness saw a "ghost-like" figure floating about 50 ft above the ground at 1000 ft distance; it was about 4 ft tall  and thin, "like a person draped in a close-fitting sheet."  It was seen only briefly when she noticed a bright white object moving about, and approaching to within 200 ft, before going away. Object was about 20 ft in diameter and about 25-30 ft off the ground. Later, as she made supper, she saw a "little blue-green thing" about 2.5 ft tall and with a face with "spiky things at the tops and the sides of the head," look in an open door; it had stumpy arms  (she saw no legs), and quickly disappeared from sight. UFO sightings occurred about the same time in nearby Athens and elsewhere. (Eberhardt, Sympap75,74, Ref. 5)

Oct. 19, 1973; between Vernon and Sherritts, OH
8:35 p.m. Radar/visual, 2 witnesses. No details (Haines Summary of Cases Reviewed, Sympap79,116) <http://www.nicap.org/waves/1973_ac_incidents.jpg>Table 1, 116,

Oct. 19, 1973; Goshen, OH
9:00 p.m. (=-) While out on his farm with his coon dogs, "Sam" came upon a dimly lit object sitting in a field on tripod legs, approx. 300 ft away. The object was saucer-shaped with a dome atop, and about 75-100 ft wide, with two blue and two white lights. Three humanoid figures of roughly normal size were seen moving about the object. The dogs "carried on something fierce" and approached no closer; after almost three minutes, the figures were seen climbing up a ladder under the center of the object, which then took off vertically. 3-min. (Personal communication from the investigator via Len Stringfield, January, 1975, CHR73,56).

<http://www.nicap.org/images/campbellsville731019dir.jpg>Oct. 19, 1973; Campbellsville, KY
9:30 p.m. Two men followed an object that looked about the size of a B-52, then lost sight of it behind a cluster of trees. "I do a lot of flying myself," one commented, "and when I first sighted this object I thought it was going to land at the airport." (see news clipping)

<http://www.nicap.org/images/richersondraw.jpg>Oct. 20, 1973; Campbellsville, KY
2:00 a.m. An early morning encounter with a "triangular-shaped object about the size of two cars" hovering about tree-top high not more than 100 yards" from home. "Early Saturday morning about 2a.m. a dog awoke our little boy," said Richerson. "My wife went to calm him down and while she was bent over to pick him up she looked out the window and saw this glowing object across the road. She came in and woke me up and we stood there for about 15 minutes watching it hover in a field across the road. I wish now that I had gone out but it startled me." (See drawing/news clipping)

<http://www.nicap.org/731020mtvernon_dir.htm>Oct. 20, 1973; Mt. Vernon, Indiana
6:50 a.m. The primary witness was a conductor on a L&N train that had an encounter with a UFO. Mt. Vernon, is a little town 15 miles west of the city of Evansville. They had passed through Mt. Vernon and were headed east nearing the Lamont crossing, which is about 2-miles west of the outskirts of Evansville. A nocturnal light incident had preceded this close encounter. When they neared Caborn (6-7 miles east of Mt. Vernon), the conductor told the rear conductors by intercom that they had seen a real bright light behind them. When they got near St. Phillips, the rear conductor reported that there now was a train following them, on the same track, and the RR blocking system showed something approaching them. As they approached a steep hill at the Lamont Crossing, one of the diesel engine units overheated and the train was immobilized. When the object behind the train backed away, the blocking system showed the object retreating. The diesel unit was now restarted and the train, loaded down with coal, made it up the hill and on into Evansville. See full report. (UFO Filter Center, FI Francis Ridge, MUFON SSD).

Oct. 21, 1973; Covedale, OH
A mother and her son observed a gray humanoid near a UFO. The being was completely surrounded by a bell jar-shaped area of light. No facial features could be discerned. Ground traces from the UFO were later found. (CHR73,32)

Oct. 22, 1973; Upton, IN
6:50 p.m. A man was farming and noticed an object which looked like it was going to land. No sound was heard. Observer and daughter were about 2-3 blocks from the OWL (my designation for an object with lights) and moved to the other side of the field to watch. Described "real bright", "red, white (or amber) and green" lights. This object was either on or near the (RR) tracks just before a train heading NW went through. Object dimmed and hovered near passing train for about a minute, then took off towards Mt. Vernon. Daughter was scared. (UFO Filter Center Files, FI Fran Ridge, MUFON SSD).

Oct. 22, 1973 (?); Mauni, IL
Unconfirmed date & insufficient data report of an object seen flying over a train. (Source: Logged 749, RR employee)

Oct. 22, 1973; Hartford City, IN
9:45 p.m. Couple in car with baby approach small bright silver figures bouncing on highway 9 miles east of Hartford City. They seemed to be dressed in silver suits with tube running from face to chest. On the feet of the two small figures were square looking objects that extended over at the heel. The frightened female driver opted not to turn and instead sped at the figures and swerved around them as they moved clumsily in slow motion attempting to get off the highway. Down road calmer male witness took over and returned to area (home was nearby). The figures had disappeared but witnesses observed a snake-like pattern of lights over nearby cornfield. Next day in this field small footprints were found by State Policeman sheriff's deputy, and witness. (Worley files, CHR73,34; UFOE II, Section XII).
Oct. 23, 1973; Hartford City, IN
12:15 a.m. A wrecker truck driver, gas station owner, encountered these same figures about one mile south of the first sighting. He first noticed cats, rabbits, possums etc moving out of the locality then spotted the two figures in the pasture field. They were too bright and turned their backs to the light so he observed them only with the side of his wrecker headlights. The high pitched sound was also present. He too noticed their square footwear with the heel overhang. The little figures bounced slow motion into the air two times with arms flopping a little. Then on the third bounce they both just took off in a feet down position. The startled observer lost them when they sailed out of the area illuminated by his lights. He did see some tracer-like lights coming down from above. (Worley files).

Oct. 23, 1973; Russell Springs, KY
A woman saw two 3-ft tall beings in her carport who walked around the side of the house, entered a craft "shaped like a washing tub" sitting on the ground, which then rose over the house and disappeared. The men were reddish and walked like they were on tip toes. The ground was disturbed where the craft had been sitting. (CHR73,36; UFOE II, Section XII).

Oct. 24, 1973; Fayette County, IN
No sound,15 secs. Dark object with blue and red lights and one intense white light which blinded him. Object arose from in front of trees south of witness and passed over auto then went out of sight in the north. State Police called. (Worley files)

<http://www.nicap.org/fredericktown731024dir.htm>Oct. 24, 1973; Fredericktown, OH
About 9:00 p.m. CE-III; possible CE-IV. Woman in car pulling into drive, notices her headlights appear to cause a "washtub" object to light up and illuminate her back yard. (See report. MORA3/93)

Oct. 25, 1973, US Forces go on DEFCON III
The U.S. became concerned that the Soviet Union might intervene in the Arab/Israeli (Yom Kippur War) and U.S. forces including Strategic Air Command, Continental Air Defense Command, European Command and the Sixth Fleet were placed on DEFCON III Alert.

<http://www.nicap.org/christycreek731025.jpg>Oct. 25, 1973; Christy Creek, KY
9:00 p.m. Glowing orange oval hovered 300 feet above car, light reflected brightly off of car hood; object then sped out of sight. (News clipping; UFOE II, Section VIII)

On 26 October, CINCSAC and CINCONAD reverted to normal DEFCON status.

Oct. 31, 1973; USEUCOM went off DEFCON III
USEUCOM (less the Sixth Fleet) went off DEFCON III status.

Oct. 31, 1973; Okawville, IL
Time not given. About 20 miles southwest of Okawville. Eight; high school students were driving a station wagon when they spotted an unexplainable light hovering above the road directly in front of them, and then quickly disappeared. (News clipping)
Nov. 1, 1973; Mt. Vernon, IN - MADAR APD 00m00s 18 cpm
At 9:47 p.m., the Multiple Anomaly Detection And Recording unit was triggered. The background radiation level was 18 cpm, normal for the area, but something had caused the disturbance. Something probably within a five-mile radius had tripped the sensor, right at the peak in sightings. There was a sighting of a blue and green light at Bufkin, just a few miles north of the MADAR site. It had moved up and down, back and forth, beginning at 10:40 p.m. and there was a humming noise associated with it.

Nov. 1, 1973; Bufkin, IN
10:40 p.m. Blue and green object with humming noise observed near Mt. Vernon for 10 minutes. First went from west to east, then north to south, moving up and down and back and forth. Last seen at Meade Johnson plant at Mt. Vernon. (UFOFC, Ridge files)

Nov. 2, 1973; Mt. Vernon, IN
10:37 p.m. Chief of Police Wilfred Clark & Officer John Tucker were on a pursuit of a drunken-driver who had gone into a ditch. While they were waiting for a wrecker they observed an OBOL (Orange Ball of Light) which reacted to light. Flashlight seemed to cause the object to get brighter and closer. After about 1-1/2 minutes of observing the object the squad car spotlight was put on it and the object moved off. (UFO Filter Center Files, FI Fran Ridge, MUFON SSD).

Nov. 2, 1973; Mt. Vernon, IN
10:40 p.m. The witness was a 23-year-old warehouseman at Mt. Vernon Milling Co. and reported a wedge-shaped object. While at work he observed it south above Fuhrer Ford for about 15-20 seconds. "I went out to check my hopper cars. Climbing up onto the car I happened to look back. I stood on top and watched the object until it disappeared. Best I can describe (it, is) at about six city blocks away...60-100 feet in the air.... I could hear no sound.....Seemed like it disappeared as if you would shut off a TV set. It was light orange and slowly faded out," (UFOFC, Ridge files)

Nov. 6, 1973; Evansville, IN
2:09 a.m. Owner of Stadium Inn saw huge glowing object from front of place of business, chased at high speed on Division St.. Object at 1500' altitude and one mile range lit up Meade Johnson, looked like yellow-gold big moon. Referred by State Police. (UFOFC, Ridge files)

Nov. 16, 1973; Evansville, IN
9:45 p.m. Young man (15) and three others (l boy & 2 girls) saw object come down and land twice, tried to catch it as it traveled about 10' above the ground. Had round thing on it like an electric eye and glowing red basket-like bottom section. Conventional aircraft near had spotlights. Phoned into UFO Filter Center by boy's mother. (FI-4, Ridge files).

Nov. 17, 1973; The Sixth Fleet Resumes Normal DEFCON Status.

Nov. 23, 1973; Matthews, MO
11:30 p.m. This close encounter began with the observation of five red lights in a curve, indicating something round. The witness was driving to her grandmother's house and witnessed the bright lights which were very low out her passenger window to the east. When the lights got behind her she pulled off the road and got out of the car as they approached. Another car from the north stopped to see if she needed help, saw the lights and sped off. Object passed over with a humming noise. ((AUN10,2)

Nov. 28, 1973; 2 miles East of Bufkin, IN (near Mt. Vernon)
7:15 p.m. This incident involved three witnesses who reported two orange-red balls of light that hovered low to the ground in the west for about six minutes. The main witness was very shook up by the incident and contacted the UFO Filter Center while it was occurring. One object was larger than the other and was more "orange and red speckled". (UFO Filter Center Files, FI Fran Ridge, MUFON SSD).