Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:49:16 +0000 (GMT)
From: Don Ledger
Subject: June 30/July 1, 1950; Royal Canadian Naval Air Station,  Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

On the night of 30 June or 1 July, 1950, Petty Officer Carter and Able Seaman Connelly were pulling duty on radar watch from dusk until dawn at the Dartmouth Naval Radar Unit at Royal Canadian Naval Air Station (later called CFB Shearwater) in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

At 23:15 hours the two reported a radar contact bearing 160 degrees at 5 miles (8.3 kn). There was nothing unusual about the initial sighting except that the target remained in the same position for approximately four minutes before moving slowly out to sea to a range of 10 miles (16.6 km). At this point the the target was observed to move quickly back inland whereupon radar contact was lost at 23:27 hours.
At 23:26 hours the Tower at Naval Air Station reported that a Chief Petty Officer in North Dartmouth had called into them a report of seeing an object with two glowing lights overthe Imperial Oil refinery. One of the lights remained stationary for some time while the other appeared to head out to sea.

Then again at 23:35 hours the UFO made another appearance bearing 160 degrees at a range of 4 miles (6 km). Its actions seemed to mimic those of the first object detected at 23:15 hours. This time in remained on the scope for ten minutes, holding its position before disappearing over land once more at 23:45 hours.

For the next forty-five minutes there was no further activity so Carter and Connelly assumed that the puzzling activity had ceased for the night. Suddenly, at 00:31 hours, their radar painted another target in the general vicinity of the first three. Bearing 175 degrees at a range of 4 miles (6 km) an object moved back towards the sea then turned inland and disappeared over land about one minute later. Simultaneously another object was targeted at 55 degrees at 10 miles (16 km). The sweep of the antennae painted the target twice at a range of 10 miles (16 km) inland then the image faded. There was no further UFO activity that night.

(Source: Don Ledger, Maritime UFO Files, pages 23-25)