Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:35:31 -0500
From: Richard Vitello <> & Loren Gross
Subject: April 27, 1952 Pontiac, MI  (dismissed by Project Blue Book for insufficient data)
To: fran ridge <>

"All I can do is report it, Bud."

Bear in mind as you read the following account that the person making the statements collected the names of three other witnesses who happened to be in the area and did not know him personally. Granted the witness was well aware of the UFO problem and thus conditioned to "tell a tall tale" if he desired, but there are many possible checks that could be made to ruin the validity of the sighting.A hoax seems improbable unless the man was a complete fool. The entry in official UFO records is brief:

"On 29 April 1952, at 0830 hours, the following report was submitted to the undersigned by the Officer of the Day relative to sightings of unconventional aircraft observed on 27 April 1952.

"A/2C (deleted) of the Air Police Squadron took a call from a Mr. (deleted) of Pontiac, Michigan. Mr. (--- deleted) called at approximately 2306 hours concerning an object approximately 200 feet in diameter and 200 feet off the ground.

The object would go from brilliant white to nothing.  Mr- (deleted) was in a business establishment making the phone call but friends were outside the building still watching the object.  A/2C (deleted) did not get the phone number or address of Mr. (--- deleted)."231

So much for the brief official note.

On May 16, 1952, the witness wrote an extensive letter to BLUE BOOK providing his address and the names and addresses of three other witnesses. The bulk of the letter recounted the events of that wild night.

"Gentlemen:  "I have been a faithful believer and follower of Flying Saucers incidents as far back as 1948 and was of the opinion that they were a project of the U.S. Government, but after my recent experience which I am going to outline in detail, it has changed my belief entirely.


"Coincidentally, I happened to read the April 7th issue of Life Magazine which precedes my experience by a couple of weeks. Explaining my actions as you will note.

I live approximately seven miles west of Birmingham, Michigan which is north of Detroit about fifteen miles. On Sunday night, April 27th my wife, two children and myself were proceeding home from my sister's traveling north on Stevenson Highway at 10:45 PM.  As I turned left on fifteen mile road (Fifteen Mile Road runs through Birmingham east and west and at this pint is about seven miles east of Birmingham), my wife and I both spotted a brilliant white object coming toward us out of the sky from the northeast. It descended so fast that by the by the time my wife could realize and state it was a Flying Saucer   it had descended to its minimum height of approximately 3,000 feet or the average height of a transport plane in flight.  It stopped abruptly and rocked slightly similar to a row boat in choppy water.  It then settled at an approximate 80 degree angle and the brilliant whiteness diminished to what appeared to be window lights.  It sat in this exact position and spot for approximately three or four minutes making it to be about two miles north of us and 300 feet high.  The angle at which it rested made it very easy for us to estimate it's thickness and diameter.  It appeared to have two tiers of windows each about ten feet high which resembled looking into the playing section of a mouth organ.  The windows were all around the entire diameter making visible the round flatness.  We estimated conservatively  that the diameter of this ship was at least two hundred feet.

"After what seemed to me they were getting their bearings, they started drifting northwest towards the city of Pontiac at about one hundred miles per hour but stopped two or three times during the time of our observation.  At no time did it make a noise.

"Immediately  l realized that I should have witnesses to this phenomenon, so I sped west on Fifteen Mile Road to a drive-in restaurant about a mile away.  I ran in and asked some young men if they would come out and witness my experience.  After persuasion, two of them went out and were amazed, causing others to follow.  By this time it had drifted at least five miles northwest.  At this point I called the Birmingham Police and asked them to alarm all the air fields in it's direction which they said they would do.  I returned to my car and we continued to follow it driving west on Fifteen Mile Road.  During the next five minutes the lights in the saucer went off and on three times.  The third time the lights changed from white to a brilliant yellow-orange and by this time we had reached the Grand Trunk Railroad Station,  a half mile from Birmingham.  Thinking this experience would make a good newspaper story,  I stopped at the railroad station and called the Detroit Times telling them my story thus far.

"After that I again called the Birmingham police and asked them if they had reported the incident as yet.  They said they were thinking about it so I became provoked and said I would call Selfridge Field myself, which I did.  If anyone ever got the 'Brush' I sure did.  I was transferred to five different departments and finally got an officer who, I am sure, was awakened by my call and was very peeved.  I explained what was taking place and he mumbled some thing to another fellow and then said: 'I'll report it  What's your name?'  I gave him my name and explained: 'If you ever want a close-up view of a giant saucer, get some planes in the sky at once, telling him the approximate location of the saucer. Then he repeated:   'All I can do is report it, Bud.' Then he hung up.

"During my telephone conversation, my wife had convinced the station attendant and railroad express truck driver to observe the spectacle.  I secured the truck driver's name and then proceeded west following the saucer until it vanished from our vision over the tree tops toward the general direction of Flint at 11:15 p.m.

"I contacted the Detroit Times Tuesday A.M.  gave them my complete story.  Their reporter phoned Selfridge Field and the radar Division and they both told him that it was impossible for anything to be in the air at that time because nothing was picked up by radar, so naturally,  Time dropped the story.

"To prove my story, I started to trace down my witnesses.  After considerable difficulty, I found the young men I asked to come out of the drive-in and obtained written statements from each.  Then I contacted the truck driver and he was very willing to write a statement of his observation (Their names and addresses are at the end of this letter.).   I again went to the Times with my proof and the editor turned the story over to another reporter who again phoned Selfridge Field.  This time they contacted the intelligence division.  They stated that they received at least two letters a day from people who had also sighted the saucer at different points. This assured the reporter of my story and he later stated that he thought the complete story would be in the Sunday, May 4th issue. However, for some unknown reason it never appeared."232

It would be very interesting to locate the writer of the aforementioned letter and the other witnesses but all such information has been blotted out with black ink by Air Force censors.


Finally, it seems Captain Rosinia saw something himself.  The night of April 27th at 8:00 p.m. he was walking in the officer's barracks area at Selfridge Air Force Base when he happened to observe one of those famous silent horizontal green "meteors."   He reported: "...I noticed in the sky at a 45 degree angle a large flash of green light which trailed to a point to the north.
The light was Kelly green in color, persisted for from three to four seconds, and then disappeared. I heard no noise, saw no object - - though the light appeared to move in a horizontal plane."233

The Captain was puzzled by the sight.  "I have been at Selfridge Air Force Base for 16 months and have never seen any similar lights or balls of green light. The night was clear, stars were clearly visible, no clouds in the sky. I have seen falling stars, but this light moved horizontally and not a falling star.  "I would not have reported this ball of light in view of its fragmentary nature were it not for the fact that four other sightings, during the daytime, were reported in areas around Selfridge Air Force Base, Michigan."234

Source: UFOs A History 1952,