Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:20:40 -0400
From: Jean Waskiewicz <>
Subject: Re: July 21, 1952; Beluga Lake / Zulu

The following pdf file contains the resized Project Blue Book document below and is now housed on the NICAP site for security reasons.

The original over-sized doc from the site is linked below, followed by the transcript:




            I, John T. Larkins, 1st Lt., AO 663284, assigned to the Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, based at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, as a Radar Observer.

            At 2120Z 21 July 1952, while on a routine radar gunnery mission, radar contact was made with the APG 33 on an unidentified target at 13,000 yards.

            The target was locked-on at 12,000 yards and as the pilot could not get a visual, an intercept was attempted.  Target was held level and 10° starboard with an over taking speed greater than 100 knots to a range of 6,000 yards.  As the pilot could not yet get a visual, I broke lock to see what the target would look like on the scope.  The blip disappeared and contact could not be re-established.  At the time of this first contact we were flying in a north-easterly direction at an altitude of 18,000 feet.

            After firing out on the gunnery mission, the pilot suggested we attempt to pick up the target again.  We headed in an easterly direction in the same general area and again radar contact was made at 12,000 yards.  The time was 2213Z and the altitude 16,000 feet.  A lock-on was obtained immediately and another intercept attempted.  Target was held 10° port, 5° above with an overtaking speed of 50 to 60 knots (meter reading) and was brought in to a range of 1,500 yards at which time set action resembled a normal break lock.

            A 360° turn was made and again contact was made at 6,000 yards.  Another intercept was attempted.  Target was held 10° port and level and was brought in to a range of 700 yards with speeds of target and fighter aircraft the same.  Pilot flew his scope and moved target to the dead ahead and level position, range 400 yards at which time target moved away very rapidly to a range of 3,200 yards.  The lock-on was not broken at this time but as target was being brought in again, set broke lock at 1,500 yards as target moved down very rapidly, and contact could not be re-established.

            The radar set in this ship could be classed as excellent and both pilot and radar observer scope were in agreement with all readings.

            The weather was exceptionally clear with a practically cloudless sky.

            At no time did pilot obtain visual contact with any object.


A CERTIFIED TRUE COPY:                          /s/ John T. Larkins

                                                                             JOHN T. LARKINS

                                                                             1st Lt., USAF

Timothy J. Flanagan                                            Radar Observer



Capt., USAF