Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:36:03 +0100 (BST)
From: daniel wilson <>
Subject: Re: Ruppelt's picks / Aug 5-6, 1952; Haneda AFB, Japan (BBU 1827)
To: CE, SHG 

The following pdf file contains all of the resized Project Blue Book documents below and is now housed on the NICAP site for security reasons.

The original over-sized docs from the Blue Book Archives site are listed below, beginning with:
 Page ID (PID)  NARA-PBB85-708-709
Collection  National Archives (NARA)
Roll Description  NARA Blue Book Roll 85
Document Code  T1206-85

Transcript as follow:

5 August 1952                                     Haneda APS, Japan


Description of Incident

The object was first noticed by two airmen walking across the ramp at Haneda AFB on the night of 5 Aug 52 at 2330I (local time). The airmen were on their way to the tower to relieve the operators. On reporting to the tower, the object was called to the attention of the tower operators who were going off duty.

The four operators agreed that the object,which they observed for from 50 minutes to an hour through 7x50 binoculars, was circular in shape and with constant brilliance. The light appeared to be a portion of a large, round, dark shape which was about four times the diameter of the light. When the object was close enough for details to be seen, a smaller, less brilliant light could be seen along the lower edge of the dark shape. The object faded to the east twice but reappeared; it could have faded or actually gone away and come back. The size of the light,when closest to the tower, was approximately the same as the ceiling balloons that are released near the tower. A comparison was made to these 24" diameter balloons at 2000'. This would make the object 50' in diameter at 10 miles. During the observation, a lighted balloon was released but this light was extremely dim and yellow compared to the object.

An airborne C-54 was reque5ted to check the object, which the pilot did, but he reported seeing only a star.

An AC&W unit was notified soon after the original visual sighting and shortly after 2345I picked up an unidentified return. The object was tracked at varying speeds from hovering to 300 knots. At 0012I the return "broke into three pieces" and they maintained intervals or 1/4 mile. No visual observation was made from the AC&W unit although it was attempted and, at one time, the object was within 10 miles of the station. The radar was directed onto the target by visual observations from the tower, so it can safely be assumed that both visual and radar contacts involved the same object.

At 0003I an F-94 was airborne on a scramble and was requested to search to the NE of Haneda AFB over Tokyo Bay. They could make no visual observations, but could see the North Star and Venus. The F~94 was vectored to the object by GGCI (both the F-94 and object were on the scope) and held for 90 seconds. Shortly after this, both the object and the F-94 disappeared into the ground clutter on the GCI. At no time did the F-94 make visual contact. The radar contact indicated the target was at 6000 yards, 10-degrees below and 10-degreesto the right of a 320-degreebearing from the station.


Soon after loss or radar contact, the object was lost visually.


The F-94 crew reported excellent visibility, yet they could not visually observe the object during a thorough search of the area. They stated that the moon was bright and might possibly have caused reflections off the few scattered clouds. This, however, is not in agreement with the description of an exceptionally bright light given by the tower operators.

Since the weather was not given, it is not possible to determine whether the radar return was caused by some type of anomalous propagation.