following pdf file contains all of the resized Project Blue Book
documents below and is now housed on the NICAP site for security
Front page headline story from Las Vegas, Nevada, dated April 19, 1962, tells of mysterious object, traveling a horizontal course was seen in several western states on April 18, 1962. An Air Force Defense Command alert reported the object was tracked and traced over New York, Kansas, Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming, Arizona, and California
The original over-sized docs from the Project Blue Book Archives:
Page ID (PID) MISC-PBB2-1058
Collection Other Official Microfilm
Roll Description Misc Blue Book Files Roll 2
ICBM activity at the nine (9) states that the mysterious object was tracked by the Air Defense Command:
During the 1960s the base hosted the 556th Strategic Missile
Squadron (Atlas F). Initial plans called for three complexes with three
Atlas F missiles per complex. Later, a fourth complex was added to
the plans. Eventually “lift-launch” silos were placed at Champlain;
Alburg, VT, Swanton, VT, Millsboro; Lewis; Au Sable Forks;
Riverview; Redford; Dannemora; Brainardsville; Ellenburg Depot;
and Moeers. Construction began in June 1960, when groundbreaking
occurred at a site near Champlain. Throughout the next year, hundreds
of workers dug the 12 174-foot-deep, 54-foot-wide holes into the solid
rock. In addition to the three launchers, each complex had an
underground launch control facility.
The Air Force conducted “missile briefings” to educate area leaders
and residents on safety measures, environmental impact, and the
need for the missile program. As with other construction sites around
the nation, Plattsburgh suffered its share of fatalities. Seven men died
in accidents and many more were injured. Despite the dangerous work,
management-labor relations were amicable. As of March 1962 only
98 man-days had been lost due to work stoppages and that did not
The first missile arrived in April 1962, and the silos were declared
operational in December. As a result of Defense Secretary
McNamara’s 1964 directive to decommission Atlas and Titan I
missile squadrons, the Atlas F missiles were removed and the
556th Strategic Missile Squadron was deactivated on June 25, 1965.
548th Strategic Missile Squadron
Operational October 1961 - March 1965
In October 1958, Topeka received news that Forbes AFB would
support Atlas E missile sites to be constructed in the surrounding
area. The Corps of Engineers Kansas City District managed
construction of the nine “coffins” where the missiles would be
Despite the labor problems and student pickets, the project
continued on schedule. On July 1, 1960, the 548th Strategic
Missile Squadron stood up. Nearly 6 months later, on January 24, 1961,
the first Atlas missile arrived at Forbes. By October, all nine sites had
their Atlas E missiles. The Forbes sites were completed 3 weeks ahead
of schedule. On October 16, 1961, Air Force Ballistic Missile Activation
Chief, Maj. Gen. Gerrity turned over operational control of the sites to
Second Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. John D. Ryan. In the ensuing
press conference the two generals urged Kansans to become interested
in constructing fallout shelters as an insurance policy that could enhance
McConnell Air Force Base has been home to an Air Force Materiel
Center, the 350th Air Combat Crew Training Wing and the Strategic
Air Command and Tactical Air Command wings. The 381st Strategic
Missile Wing operated 18 Titan ICBM sites from 1960 to 1986.
In 1959, the Department of Defense began a major renovation of the
base and also began construction of the 12 silo intercontinental
ballistic missile complex. During the next year, millions of dollars
were spent preparing the runways and taxiways for the next
generation of bombers and tankers, namely the B-52 and KC-135.
Overall spending at the base during this era amounted to $250 million.
The 45th Bombardment Squadron at Schilling transferred to Forbes
Air Force Base, Kansas in June 1960. Beginning in August 1960 the
Site Activation Task Force at Schilling Air Force Base, constructed
and turned over to the Strategic Air Command the first operational
Atlas F hardened silo missile squadron. Schilling was turned over
to SAC’s 550th Strategic Missile Squadron on 7-8 September 1962.
Air Force Plant 77, Hill AFB, Ogden, Utah
On January 6, 1959, the Air Force named Ogden as the single
assembly and recycling point for the SM-80 Minuteman ICBM
program. Events leading to this milestone began with the
decision of the Thiokol Chemical Company to construct a
solid-propellant rocket plant 27 miles west of Brigham City.
With this facility operational in late 1957, Thiokol had positioned
itself to produce first-stage rocket motors for the new ICBM.
When the contract came, construction of Air Force Plant 78 at
the Thiokol complex gave Thiokol the capacity to mass produce
the rocket motors.
Meanwhile another solid-propellant producer expanded facilities
at Bacchus located west of Salt Lake City. The Hercules Powder
Company started work on a new solid-propellant plant in March
1958. By mid-year, both Thiokol and Hercules had research and
development contracts for the Minuteman. In October 1958,
the Air Force selected Boeing Airplane Company to be the
prime contractor to integrate and assemble the systems
developed by such subcontractors as Thiokol and Hercules.
With Utah’s growing aerospace industrial base and OOAMA’s
experience, Ogden’s commander successfully petitioned in
April 1958 to have his installation designated as the logistic
support facility for the new ICBM. Having acquired responsibility
for Minuteman, OOAMA set up the SM-80 Weapon System
Management Division, which moved to Building 1245 in the
west area in January 1960. This location placed the management
division close to Boeing’s Minuteman assembly facility at
Air Force Plant 77. Construction of this plant began in September
1960. Nine missile assembly buildings were constructed and some
40 buildings were dedicated for rocket motor storage and support.
Here Boeing assembled all of the components into missiles
ready for launch site deployment.
As the missile production plant neared completion, in 1961
construction began on a series of facilities for disassembly,
overhaul, and reassembly work. The new maintenance
complex included a Missile Engineering Surveillance Facility,
otherwise known as the Aging Laboratory designed to duplicate
silo environmental conditions. A Radiographic Inspection
Laboratory x-rayed motors to determine if there were cracks
in the solid-fuel propellant. In addition, the maintenance
facilities housed clean rooms for missile guidance systems
calibration and modification work.
The first production Minuteman rolled off the assembly
line at Air Force Plant 77 on April 12, 1962. By March
1964, 500 Minuteman missiles had been built; the last
Minuteman I came off the assembly line in May 1965. Boeing
continued production with Minuteman II and, in 1968, began
building the Minuteman III.
In 1972 production of the first version of the Short Range
Attack Missile (SRAM) began at Boeing Air Force Plant 77
at Hill AFB.
Mt. Home AFB
Titan 1 history:
In 1959, construction of three Titan missile sites began in the local
area. The 569th Strategic Missile Squadron controlled these sites
and was assigned to the 9th Bombardment Wing in August 1962.
To prepare for the addition of missiles to its bomber forces, Air Force
re-designated the wing as the 9th Strategic Aerospace Wing in April 1962.
On December 23, 1959, the Air Force Ballistic Missile Committee
approved the selection of Malmstrom AFB to host the first Minuteman
ICBM base. Although the newly formed Corps of Engineers Ballistic
Missile Construction Office handled the design and supervised construction
of the planned 15 control sites and 150 silos, the initial ground work
required advance engineering, site feasibility studies, surveys, soil and
foundation investigations, determination of utility sources, and finally
The March 16, 1961, groundbreaking ceremonies featured an interesting
arrangement as key state and local politicians, and military, contractor,
and labor leaders gathered on stage at the base theater. At the
prescribed moment, eight of these officials threw switches, setting
off explosive charges out on the plains. Each official received his switch
as a memento.
As predicted, design changes occasionally slowed progress as did
unanticipated high water tables, which required additional pumping
capacity at the excavation sites. An electrician’s strike from
November 1 through 12, 1961, and spring storms in 1962 also
hindered progress. Still, on December 15, contractors completed
work on the 10th silo, turning the silo over to the Air Force for finishing
and missile installation.
With the decision to construct Atlas lift-silos around Roswell reached
in January 1960, the Corps of Engineers Albuquerque District
commissioned soil samples that verified that the region could
geologically sustain the underground complexes. The Albuquerque
District then acquired the 12 sites surrounding Roswell and on
May 16, 1960, advertised for bids to convert the Bechtel Corporation
blueprints into reality. On June 15, 1960, a joint venture consisting
of Macco Corporation, Raymond International, Inc., The Kaiser Co.,
and Puget Sound Bridge and Dry Dock Co. was announced as the
winning bid. Work started a week later. In November 1960, as
construction continued, the Albuquerque District transferred
responsibility for construction to the Corps of Engineers Ballistic
Missile Construction Office (CEBMCO) based in Los Angeles.
The last site was completed on January 6, 1962,57 days behind
schedule. As at other sites, constant design changes resulting
from the “concurrency” concept as well as some labor-management
problems added days to the construction schedule. During the project
there were six walkouts, which led to a total of 2,512 man-days lost.
Several accidents resulted in fatalities. Seventy-four disabling injuries
contributed to 51,086 man-days lost on the job.
Reportedly, the first Atlas missile to arrive in Roswell received a
welcoming parade. New Mexico’s Governor Mecham gave the
keynote speech at a Site 10 ceremony held on October 31, 1961,
in which CEBMCO turned the site over to the Air Force. Although
Cheves County residents took patriotic pride in the news of the
missile squadron’s arrival, Roswell residents submitted 10 permit
requests for bomb shelters in October 1961 as construction went
ahead. The 579th SMS received its first missile on January 24, 1962.
In April 1962, a completed liquid oxygen plant built at Walker AFB was
turned over to the Air Force. The squadron completed missile installation approximately 1 month before the Cuban Missile Crisis.
On April 20, 1960, the Fifteenth Air Force announced selection of the
base to support a Titan II missile wing. As with Titan II base
construction at Little Rock and McConnell AFBs, the Corps of
Engineers Ballistic Missile Construction Office implemented a
“three phase” concept in an attempt to alleviate “concurrency”
problems that had plagued earlier Atlas and Titan I construction
Three companies (Jones, Teer, and Winkelman) combined to
bid $27.7 million and received the contract for the first phase of
construction, which included the access road, pit and shaft
excavations, and blast lock door installation. Groundbreaking
was on December 9,196O. With first phase operations moving
forward, second phase operations began on July 13, 1961, as
Fluor Corporation and its subcontractors began installing the
supporting electrical, fueling, and other auxiliary equipment.
Fluor had won the contract by submitting a low bid of $35.6 million.
The sites were prepared for the final phase by mid-December 1962.
The Martin Company handled phase III missile installation and
Titan II Operational Squadrons at Davis-Monthan AFB
The 570th Strategic Missile Squadron at Davis-Monthan AFB was
active from January 1962 until July 1984
The 571st Strategic Missile Squadron at Davis-Monthan AFB was
active from May 1962 until December 1983
From 1959 until 1965, Beale was support base for three
Titan I missile sites near Lincoln, Chico and the Sutter Buttes.
On January 30, 1959, the Air Force announced plans to
conduct surveys in the vicinity of Beale to determine the
feasibility for missile bases. Site investigations, topographic explorations, and surveys were performed by the Corps
of Engineers Sacramento District. On September 17,
Col. Paul Calton, Commander of Beale’s 4126th Strategic
Wing, announced that the base would be the fifth
Titan I missile installation. Three complexes with three
weapons each (3 x 3) were located 25 miles southwest,
37 miles west, and 71 miles northwest of Beale near the
respective communities of Lincoln, Live Oak, and Chico.
The Corps of Engineers also oversaw the construction at
Beale AFB of mechanical, pneudraulics, cryogenic,
propulsion, and liquid oxygen shops to support the nine
deployed and one spare missile assigned.