The  Lonnie Zamora Case

Socorro, NM, 5:50 PM, Apr 24, 1964

"At 5:50 PM on the 24th he had been in his cruiser... in hot pursuit of a speeding car.... His attention was diverted by a loud roaring sound, and out of the corner of his eye, he saw a blue flame which disappeared down toward the ground and out of sight.... he abandoned his chase... and headed toward the area where the car disappeared, which was near an abandoned dynamite shack... he followed a trail which led up onto a small rocky hill (often called a "mesa" in the southwest). Since there was no real road, he had to make three runs before his car would make the grade, then he drove across the crest and down the other side. At this point and for only a few seconds, the gully or wash to the south of him was visible; in it he glimpsed a white object which from a distance of 450 feet appeared to be an overturned car standing on end with two children or small adults standing by it. The figures were dressed in white clothing which he thought looked like mechanics uniforms. One of the figures appeared to turn and look at him as if startled. 


Illustration by Norman Duke of APRO
Actual photo with Dr. Hynek in foreground
Courtesy,  Ray Stanford,

"Zamora... called Chavez and asked for assistance... Zamora then drove his car up and across the next mesa where he stopped it. He heard two loud metallic banging noises. He got out of the car, but in doing so dislodged the microphone, which he picked up and put back in place. Taking three steps toward the gully, he was now in a position to see the object down a short slope and a little to his left. Suddenly an ear-splitting roar filled the air and the object "began to kick up dust". Thoroughly frightened, Zamora threw himself on the ground. Looking up, he saw that the object was rising in a slanting trajectory toward the southwest. He got up, ran and bumped into his car, and in doing so, dislodged his glasses, which fell to the ground. As the object rose, it displayed a particularly brilliant blue flame from its middle underside, which was three or four times as long as it was wide. As suddenly as it had started, the roar ceased and Zamora stopped in his headlong flight and looked around. The thing was headed southwest making a high-pitched whining sound. It was ascending at a very shallow angle approximately 20 feet off the ground when it cleared the dynamite shack [and disappeared into the distance]."[footnote 1] 


Another illustration by Norman Duke This photo of dynamite shack UFO "cleared",

"'There was no noise [as it hovered]' he says, 'It was about 20 feet off the ground [level with the top of the mesa and Zamora's car], just hovering. There were markings in red letters about a foot high on the side. It looked like a crescent with a vertical arrow pointed upward inside the crescent and a horizontal bar beneath that.'... Zamora raced back to the car and tried to call into headquarters but the radio didn't work.... '... it had been okay... It finally came on and I asked the state police to send out Sergeant Chavez.'... 

"Zamora took a terrific ribbing from his friends. Two years after sighting the UFO he resigned from the police force and went to work in a service station. "[footnote 2] 

Source: Coral Lorenzen,  APRO

1. Lorenzen, Flying Saucers, Signet, 1966, p 219-220; this interview was done on the next day after the event 

2. Look Special Issue "Flying Saucers", LC# 67-17223, p 16; this interview was done 3 years later 

Original Source:

Socorro/Zamora Directory
NICAP Home Page