Aircraft Encounter Near Barcelona
September 10, 1967
Barcelona, Spain

Dr. James E. McDonald:

Case 6. Near Barcelona, Spain, September 10, 1967. 

Just before sunset on September 10, 1967, four crew members of an Air Ferry Ltd. DC-6, bound for England from Majorca, sighted an unconventional airborne object about 60 miles NW of Barcelona, at 16,000 feet.  A brief report appeared in the Sept. 11 edition of the London Daily Express , independent British investigators assembled further information, and one of the crew, F/L Brian Dunlop, submitted a summary account to VFON headquarters (Volunteer Flight Officers Network, a clearing house in Denver for meteor, vehicle-re-entry, and other aerial-sighting reports). 

When first sighted, according to Dunlop, the unknown was about 30 degrees to the left of their northbound flight path, heading towards the west at an altitude slightly above their own.  Its initial estimated distance was put at a few tens of miles as it crossed to their right, turned towards them, and then approached after an apparent deceleration and descending motion.   The shape of the metallic-appearing object resembled an inverted ice cream cone, with rounded base and a pointed top. Dunlop stated, "There was a definite solid object, the like of which none of the four crew that saw it had ever seen before, and had we been quick enough we could have got a good photo of it." 

Capt. F.E.C. Underhill stated in another interview that the UFO "must have been under control; it definitely altered course substantially".  This course alteration brought it on a head-on approach, but it passed under the DC-6's starboard wing and disappeared to their south. The crew did not alert any of the 96 passengers aboard in the total viewing time of about 2-3 minutes, not wishing to alarm them. Estimated speed of the object was 600-700 knots, whereas the ambient wind at flight level was only 10 knots from the north.  A check with Barcelona flight controllers indicated there were no known aircraft in the area, but reports do not indicate if radar coverage was available. 

The shape, the veering path, the passage under the aircraft's flight level, all rule out meteoric phenomena.  That it was not a balloon was indicated not only by the shape, but its reported motions do not match balloon behavior in any obvious way. It would seem to be one more airline-reported unidentified flying object. 

Source" UFOs: An International Scientific Problem (Mar 12, 1968)