Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:10:39 -0700
From: Richard Haines <>
Subject: Detailed Summary; Steady Red Sphere Paces Marine Training Jet


Most likely Date of Event:                    November 11, 1974  (filed under this date)
(From log book review)                       December 20, 1974
Location:   Between Pensacola, FL and Mobile Bay

2100. local           Military
Duration:  3 ­ 5 min.     six observers in a/c
T-39D                       no EMI
United States             No radar contact

Nov. 11, 1974;  Off coast of Florida

Marine Reserve Squadron  (VT-10) pilot Larry Jividen was piloting a T-39D Sabreliner (North American; model NA265) with five Naval officer pilots on board on a TACAN instrument penetration training flight. The other five witnesses consisted of a flight instructor and four students. Capt. Jividen, in the left-front seat, had about 700 hours flight time in this type aircraft. They were at 25,000 feet MSL, approximately 300 mph indicated airspeed, (440 kts true air speed), in straight and level flight, and on a heading of approximately 255 degrees true. They were on an IFR flight plan and in radio contact with ground controllers at all times.  The flight instructor sitting in the right-front seat was the first to sight a single, round, red small area of light maintaining position at their 1:00 o’clock position and their altitude. The reporting witness said that everyone “…felt it was a UFO and generally were glad to have finally seen one.”  Its angular diameter was about the same as half a penny held at arm’s length (approx. 15 min arc diameter). The clear, dark night sky made it hard to discriminate whether it was above or below the horizon. All six men on board saw the light. At first Capt. Jividen thought the light was a left wingtip anticollision light (“…it appeared to have much the same hue”) on another aircraft that was maintaining his heading, speed, and altitude; he radioed Pensacola tower for radar confirmation if another airplane was nearby. He was informed that there was nothing on their radar but him. He then requested permission to deviate from his flight plan (climb, descend and
pg. 2   Haines

change heading as necessary) and try to identify the light. After receiving this permission he banked right about thirty degrees to fly directly toward the red light. After about a minute or more, now on the new heading of 270 degree, the red light suddenly and unexpectedly flew left directly across the nose of his airplane stopping abruptly at his 11:00 o’clock position where it remained for several more minutes (still at his own altitude and airspeed). While maintaining this new position it never changed size, shape, or intensity, (which suggests that it was maintaining the same airspeed and heading as the airplane). Its edge was sharply defined and without any haze or blur. After about four or five minutes total observation time (from its first detection) the light accelerated toward the West and was gone in about ten seconds; it became progressively smaller until it was no longer visible. No trail of any kind was seen behind it.  None of the cockpit instruments were affected, no radio static was experienced, no unusual air turbulence was felt at any time and no other airplanes were seen at any time. The UAP did not pose any threat to the safety of the airplane.  The reporting witness also contacted Jacksonville and Houston Center about the light; no ground radar contact with the light was made at any time. Upon landing the witnesses all completed an “incident form” but he never heard anything more about the matter. 

   Jividen began flying in 1966 in military aircraft, serving in Viet Nam. Subsequently he flew for Eastern Airlines
                and others finally flying four different Boeing jets (B727; B737-300; B757; B767 for United Airlines. He
                retired in 2002.

   Capt. Jividen did not have the impression (during the sighting) that anyone had seen a UAP before this (personal
                  communications, June 25, 2011).