Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:36:12 -0500
From: Fran  Ridge <>
Subject: Nov. 28, 1974;  Bt. DeKalb & Mendota, Illinois

Nov. 28, 1974; Bt. DeKalb & Mendota, Illinois
11:43 a.m. Hugo W. Feugen, 53, plant engineer for CONCO, INC., of Mendota, IL., was piloting his own Aeronca "Champ" aircraft on a bright day with visibility limited to 6 or 7 miles due to haze. He was flying at 2500 feet altitude with a compass bearing direction of 240 degrees to compensate for a cross wind.

As he passed over the small town of Shabbona, IL, he was checking his position on the aeronautical map that he held in his lap to determine if he was still "on course" with visual navigation to his destination of Mendota.

When he looked up from his map, he noticed with amazement that the magnetic compass on the panel of his older model Aeronca Champ number N82198 was rotating counter-clockwise at a rate of four revolutions per minute. He immediately became concerned for the radical behavior of his compass because this was one of the few instruments in the aircraft used for navigational purposes.

He looked to his right side and saw nothing but the town of Shabbona below him. When he turned to his left, he saw an object flying parallel to his aircraft at the same speed (ground speed 75 to 80 m.p.h.) and altitude, pacing him at 120 degrees at an estimated one quarter of a mile distance. He described the object as being shaped like a disc or an ellipse. If it was one-fourth mile away, he estimated the size as 120 feet long and 30 feet thick. It appeared to be a solid object, white or dull silver in color, without any openings or protrusions. He said there may have been a depression on the top, but this angle was observed only for a brief second as it was departing.

After pacing him for eight to ten seconds, while the compass continued to spin, the object tipped slightly and he could observe that it was not an ellipse, but was round in shape.

As it tipped up on an angle, it accelerated to a fantastic speed toward the east and was out of sight in the "flick of the finger" (less than one second). Feugen did not have his aircraft radio turned on,  so there is no report of interference with radio communications. He did not have a camera, thus no photographs were made.