Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 08:54:22 -0400
To: fran ridge <>
Subject: Oct 29, 1975; Wurtsmith, Michigan

When we took the hand off from ZMP the KC-135 was NW of the airport. When the KC scared me (since I had totally forgot about him) I was facing the alert area. Again the mobile RAPCON was located exactly at mid point of rwy 06/24. The KC-135 was probably doing 250 Kts per federal air regs for a jet below 10,000 feet when directed to procede by the SAC Command post to the alert area. I had walked towards the rwy to get a view of the alert area because it was blocked by trees. I walked about 150 feet which I guess would be SSE. The time it took the aircraft to reach my general location was about 4 minutes, slightly more then the amount of time it took me to unplug from position and walk out of the unit towards the runway. The KC-135 came in from the NW and was about a 1/2 mile or so, perhaps less when it startled me. The roar of the jets actually made me duck down. When the KC135 began its pursuit, both aircraft and UFO were heading SE towards Michigan's thumb.
The reason I feel this incident is so significant is because it was in daylight. The number of witnesses and the very strong potential the Air Force has this all on video. I was 1 mile away. The other witnesses were right under it. Due to the nature of the weapons there I'm certain cameras were in use.

Anyway rereading the question I guess the issue is with time and distance. As i wrote Federal Air Regs reqire jets not to exceed 250 knots below 10,000 feet. Wurtsmith approach airspace extended up to 12,000 feet. ZMP would have initiated the handoff at 13,000 feet. Thefore the aircraft was at or slowing to 250 knots. In air traffic I was tought what is called the 6 minute rule. If an aircraft is doing 250 knots he will travel 25 miles in 6 minutes. Simple. So from the time the pilot was orderd to fly direct the alert area with the amount of time it took me to leave the unit and stroll towards the runway I estimate the aircraft must have been 20 miles NW when I asked for permission to go see what's happening. The bottom line is I was in position to observe the UFO for at least a minute before the KC scared the hell out of me.

I hope I cleared that up. Please let me know if I can add anything else.

Mark A. M. Singh