Date: 2000
From: Bruce Maccabee
Subject: Amateur Radio Op Tracks UFO With Radar, March 1, 1950

At 11:15 PM that night a Knoxville radio amateur with experience in radar technology, Stuart Adcock, called the local FBI agent, Mr. Robey, to report that he had detected an object circling at an altitude of about 40,000 feet over Oak Ridge.   He was using a surplus military radar set.  Adcock reported another detection the next day at 11:15 AM.  This time the object was about 100,000 feet up.  The Army Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) and the AFOSI sent representatives to Adcock’s house on the night of  March 2 and they saw radar returns indicating an object at high altitude at about midnight.  Over the next several days Adcock’s radar occasionally indicated the presence of an object.  The local CIC and OSI agents were not radar experts, but it appeared to them that the radar set was not particularly reliable.   (To help in the investigation a radar expert was requested, but he didn’t arrive until March 8, two days after Adcock had left town.)  The local Navy Training Center radar equipment did not detect anything in the area where Adcock reported a radar taget, but it was not adapted to the detection of objects at such a high altitude.  A joint experiment was carried out using both Adock’s and the Navy’s radar sets.  They both detected two aircraft that were flying at 2,000 feet, indicating that Adcock’s radar was working correctly.   Adcock’s last high altitude radar detection occurred during the morning of March 6, after which he left town (reason unknown).  The local OSI agent attempted to contact Adcock, but was not able to and the investigation was ended on March 8.  There was no conclusion as to what, if anything, Adcock had detected.  SAC Robey reported to FBI headquarters that the most impressive thing to him had been the “lack of any agency actually taking responsibility for the situation and taking any action to verify or disprove the threat.”  He also pointed out that it was many hours after the initial detection or “threat” was reported that any action at all was taken.  Evidently Oak Ridge was not as well protected against a threat of sabotage as the security agencies had hoped!