Strange Effects from UFOs, Editors:
Major Donald E. Keyhoe, USMC (Ret.) and Gordon I. R. Lore, Jr., 1969, NICAP, Washington, D.C., pages 51-53.
Burned Area, Impressions Found

     Young John C. Stephens was walking his dog along the edge of a field four miles south of Galt, Ontario, Canada, at 10:30 a.m., July 30, 1957.  Looking up, he saw an aluminum-colored object with a dome on top.  It circled, stopped and hovered, then landed in a gulley surrounded by woods and a field, beside a 100-foot tower with high tension power lines, next to a lake.
     The object was luminous and was a “flattened bell shape,” said Wilbert Smith in a letter to NICAP, reporting on the investigation by Alfred Emerson.  Smith conducted Project Magnet, a semi-official Canadian project investigating UFO reports in the 1950’s.
     John estimated the object’s size as between 30 and 35 feet in diameter.
     “I was just plain scared and my dog snarled and barked….” the witness told J. Roy Francis, a reporter for The Galt Evening Reporter.  “I heard [a] humming, like a ball swung around on an elastic.”
     John said he was “rooted to the spot” for 45 minutes, afraid to either approach the strange object or retreat.  He added that the UFO emitted flames from the bottom while it was on the ground.
     Finally, the object rose.
    “When the object took off, “ Smith said in his report, “it first acquired a glow, rose into the air at about 45 degrees until it was well clear of the power line, after which it became quite luminous with a bright orange glow and shot away into the distance (west).”
     Numerous area residents examined the area after the sighting.  There were four burned patches from six and one-half to 20 feet apart.  A small copse nearby had been disturbed, with small trees and limbs broken off.  But the most curious find was that of two huge three-toed prints in the ground.
     “The prints … are about 18 inches long—very weird looking,” said J. Roy Francis, one of the investigators.  “There is a sort of large palm and three toes or claws.”
     Another of the investigators was Peter Heggs, an electronics engineer with training at London’s Royal College of Science.  The engineer also served as a research and development radar officer in the British Royal Air Force for six years.

Page 52 shows a drawing of burned areas and of  “prints.”

     “Mr. DeWitt Lee and myself made a thorough examination of the site….,” Heggs said in his report to NICAP.  “Samples of earth from various places were taken.  These were tested for Beta and Gamma radiation at McMaster University.”
     NICAP did not receive the results, if any, of these tests.

 Case Directory
NICAP Home Page