The July 8 flight was the second confirmed flight
to move the debris east out of Roswell. The first took place on July 6. According
to DuBose, it was ordered by Gen. Clements McMullen, deputy commander of SAC,
who wanted some of the original debris brought into Roswell by Mac Brazel
that very day to be flown to Washington for inspection. The flight
passed through Fort Worth where DuBose checked the container (a pouch) holding
the debris prior to sending it on its way to its final destination. The destination
was Wright Field, after a brief stop at Fort Worth. The flight was piloted
by Roswell's base deputy commander, Lt. Col. Payne Jennings.
Lt. Col. Joe Briley confirmed that Col. Blanchard's "leave" was just a "blind", when in actuality he was at the impact site.
Brigadier Gen. Scanlon was involved in the clandestine retrieval of the craft at Roswell.
After decades of silence, provost marshal, Major Edwin Easley confirmed the bodies as well as the impact site north of Roswell just before his death in 1992. Col. Blanchard ordered Easley to post guards on the access roads to the debris field.
Material had been brought from the debris field and loaded on a C-54, this time flown by Capt. Pappy Henderson to Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio.
Next, go to the July 8, 1947 Press Conference.