1950 UFO Chronology
and Graphic Evidence of UFO Reality

The Trent, McMinnville, Oregon photos, May 11, 1950 - courtesy Bruce Maccabee

Created December 22, 2005, updated 5 Dec 2018
This is a 34-page report on an on-going project involving a number of people.  I want to thank all the members of the A-Team who made this possible. This was a very important year in UFOlogy. Some of the best photographic evidence was obtained that year: April 23, Red Bud, Illinois; April 27, White Sands, New Mexico (Cinetheodolite film taken by camera tracking station); May 11, McMinnville, Oregon (Trent photos); May 24, White Sands (Cinetheodolite films); June 27, Louisville, Kentucky (Hixenbaugh movie film); August 15, Great Falls, Montana (Mariana color film); August 31, Alamogordo, New Mexico (Project TWINKLE film). Even more important is the fact that the April 27 White Sands tracking was a successful triangulation!!!  Then there were all the sightings and radar-jamming and radiation incidents at Oak Ridge (in particular, Oct 29 & 30th). The Oak Ridge story included the FBI being put on "immediate high alert". Last, but certainly not least, we have to thank Loren Gross for thoughtfully and diligently collecting data many years ago for his UFO Histories and supplemental notes, in particular here the year 1950. And a big thanks to CUFOS and Mary Castnor for housing them on the CUFOS site.

Francis Ridge
NICAP Site Coordinator:

Note: There are 209 entries in the 38-page La Paz catalog, the " Summary of Sightings of Unknown Phenomena, 17th District OSI"  But in the 1950 group there were 50 sightings and the ones listed here are the reports with some important details to make them extraordinary. The catalog ended with entry 209, which was for May 1, 1950. Also, brief case descriptions giving the Cat (Category) number, name of witness, and source in brackets (M=military), are NICAP UFO Evidence entries where cases haven't been located.

The Chronology                                                                                                                 

True magazine article "Flying Saucers Are Real," by Maj. Donald E. Keyhoe, suggested UFOs are of extraterrestrial origin.

Jan. 6, 1950; Near Howard, Kansas (BBU)
2:10 pm CST. Gray and 2 other USAF crew of C-47 transport saw a 30-60 ft silver football-shaped object flying in straight level flight. (Project 1947; FUFOR Index)

Jan. 6, 1950
A new wave of Frank Scully-type hoax stories begin to circulate widely through the media nationwide, including TIME and Newsweek magazines (stories of the AF meeting live aliens, recovering crashed saucers, bodies of little green men).  Apparently the new stories were inspired by AFOSI (AF Office of Special Investigations) as a disinformation operation to discredit the Roswell incident in advance, in case Roswell should leak.  The AF was fearful that retired Navy-Marine officer-pilot and investigative reporter Maj. Donald Keyhoe, after his blockbuster TRUE article, was hot on the trail of uncovering Roswell, though he was not (the AF had no way of knowing that). AF viewed this as a Navy attack on the AF, exploiting inter-service rivalry and using dirty tricks, and expected more to come (Brad Sparks)

Jan. 7, 1950; S of Corona, New Mexico (BBU)
10:15 p.m. Holloman AFB Asst. Maintenance Officer Risley while driving saw a yellowish-white ball of light at about 45° elevation descending at a 60° angle, changing color to orange with trailing flame, to just above a mountain range where it leveled off becoming bright blue-green traveling 10° E [?] until it dropped behind the mountain. (FOIA; FUFOR Index)

Jan. 10, 1950; Las Vegas AFB, NV
10:10 a.m.  Civilian pilots, father and son, observed 2 F-80 jet fighters approaching for landing at elevation angle of about 45° into the sun [in the SE at about 21° elevation 141° azimuth] and saw an object at an altitude of approximately 1500-2000 feet, about 25-30 ft in size.  Object appeared "pure silver," round "like a balloon" (AFOSI found no balloons launched) and solid material like "a metal," with no external fittings, air ducts, antenna, supports, or exhaust trail, seeming no noise audible above that of an F-80.  Direction of flight [heading?] was NNE with no tactical movement, or maneuver, motion was smooth, at first slow and then a very rapid acceleration in a horizontal ascent, disappearing over mountains to the E.  (Sparks;  BB AFOSI files;  NICAP website) 25 secs 2 witnesses 1 Full Moon ?

AF Directorate of Intelligence (AFOIN) quietly cancels the special intelligence collection directives to various government agencies for reporting UFO (flying disc/flying saucer) incidents, though routine intelligence channels still require UFO reporting.  Cancellation is a follow up up to the widely announced closure of "Project Saucer" (classified codename GRUDGE) at AMC (Air Materiel Command), Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio, on Dec. 27, 1949, which had been designed to blunt the impact of Keyhoe's just-released bombshell article in TRUE claiming saucers were extraterrestrial.  AFOIN Director, Gen. Charles P. Cabell, believed that in fact AMC was taking its UFO project underground by announcing the closure.  Months later Cabell discovers that AMC Intelligence Dept under Col. Harold Watson was not running a secret UFO investigation, and Cabell is forced to make up for AMC's negligence by conducting his own UFO investigations via his AF Intelligence staff.   (Brad Sparks)

Jan. 12, 1950. Holloman AFB, NM
7:00-7:05 and 9:00 p.m. (MST). Airman John M. Gusich, 3024th Air Police Sq, file clerk in Air Provost Marshal's office, Holloman AFB, sighted bright white light similar to Venus, with erratically changing color to green and red, erratic left- right, up-down small motions, at about 10° to 15° above horizon in the N, at azimuth 353° to 355° moving level to the W. Sighted again briefly at 9:00 p.m. and had moved W to about 325° azimuth. Extremely cloudy in the W, S and E, clear only in the N, hence could not be Venus setting in the WSW, azimuth 252° elevation 5° (at 7:00 p.m.), setting at about 7:27 p.m. and well below horizon and totally invisible at 9 p.m. Similar sighting of star-like light in the N by Gusich next morning disappeared at 6:05 a.m. due to approaching sunrise was probably star Capella at azimuth 325° (about NW to NNW) elevation 3°. (Sparks)

Jan. 12, 1950; Gulf of Mexico (BBU)
At 11:25 p.m. EST, a B-29 aircraft was flying over the Gulf on a course of 260 degrees when three objects were noted on the radar scope orbiting the B-29 from all quadrants. The objects were noticed by the Radar Operator, Aircraft Commander, Navigator, and Bombardier. One object was first sighted on a bearing of 330 degrees traveling south. The objects travelled across the scope in approximately 15 to 20 seconds on the 100 mile range setting. In a few minutes this object was joined by two others, which disappeared in a few minutes. At short ranges the object was large and well defined on the radar scope. The object would go off for about 100 miles, turn and come in as if for an attack, pass through the center of the scope and emerge on the other side. The estimated speed of the object was between 2,500 to 3,000 mph. The one object remained on the radar scope for approximately 30 minutes, following the B-29 all the time. The radar operator switched ranges on the scope and picked up the object on the 20 and 50 mile settings. Twice the object came to within 20 miles of the aircraft and then apparently had the ability to hover, for the movement on the radar scope would cease for 5 to 15 seconds. After altering course the object no longer appeared, but the radar was jammed for approximately 10 minutes. (Dan Wilson)

Jan. 13, 1950; Holloman AFB, New Mexico, OSI Case 166
Sounds much like a star but the OSI report stated, "Observable celestial phenomena or planets that may account for the sighting:  None."

Jan. 14, 1950; Oak Ridge, TN
4:45 PM. Fairchild plant workers at the nuclear research facilities watched a brilliant fiery ball of light hover over restricted military airspace for about two minutes. (Source: Loren E. Gross, UFOs: A History. 1951, p. 3).

Jan. 18, 1950; Denver, Colo. (BBU)
6:19 p.m. USAF pilots of T-6 saw a round reddish-white object tapered aft flying at 15,000 ft. (Project 1947)

Jan. 18, 1950; Denver, Colorado (BBU)
At around 1859 hours (6:59 p.m. CST) Lt. A. P. Webb and six other pilots in four aircraft saw a similar flame or light moving at a high rate of speed at times varying slightly. All the observers described the flame or light in similar terms and gave its course generally as southwesterly. (Dan Wilson)

Jan. 22, 1950; Near Kodiak NAS, Alaska. (BBU)
2:40-4:40 a.m. USN P2V3 patrol plane pilot Lt. Smith and radar officer A. L. C. Gaskey briefly detected a radar target 20 miles N, then another target S of Kodiak at 2:48 a.m., possibly the same target traveling 225 mph in between. Smith radioed Kodiak NAS to look for other air traffic but none was reported. Gaskey then noticed strong radar interference preventing him from tracking the target. At 3 a.m. watch officers Morgan and Carver on the USS Tillamook S of Kodiak island saw a maneuvering red exhaust-like or orange ball of fire circle the Kodiak area in 30 secs clockwise beginning and ending in the SE. At 4:40 a.m., P2V3 radar picked up fast moving target at 5 miles which closed that distance in 10 secs (1,800 mph) to dead ahead position, where it was seen as "two orange lights rotating about a common center like two jet aircraft making slow rolls in tight formation." Smith tried to pursue but object came at him in a "highly threatening gesture." Smith turned off all aircraft lights to reduce visibility, object flew off to the SE disappearing in 4 mins. (Project 1947; BB files??)

Jan. 24, 1950; Near Blackstone, Virginia (BBU)
4:50-5:05 p.m. (EST). 3 Pentagon officials, 2 USAF combat flying officers, pilot Capt. G. B. Edwards and copilot Capt. Theron C. Fehrevach flying C-45 transport plane heading 26° at 5,000 ft, saw a dark 200-250 ft diameter hemispherical parachute-shaped or B-35 flying wing shaped object at about 20° azimuth at about 7,000 ft about 5-10 miles away with a large black smoke region below it almost looking like a large suspended black object about 3x the object's diameter, possibly obscuring a lower portion of a sphere instead of the object being just an upper hemisphere. UFO was darker than the 50% cloud cover and “easy to distinguish as not being cloud.” Object moved smoothly horizontally to the right to about 32° azimuth at about 300+ mph then back again without any noticeable turn radius. Edwards put the C-45 into a climb to 7,000 ft so they would be on the same height level as the UFO and turned left slightly to 20° to head directly toward it. Army Courier Service passenger 1st Lt. John H. Van Santen was alerted by Fehrevach and now also saw the object move right then left by 12° again, then they all saw the object recede at high speed radically away and disappear [at possibly 6,000 mph to reduce angular size below visual resolution by increasing distance at least 200 miles in <2 mins at about 4:55 p.m.]. About 1-1/2 mins later object reappeared about 30°-45° to the right of their heading at the same level but at greater distance, stationary in position, then oscillating or “wiggling” about that position horizontally right-left about 1-1.5x object’s width. Object moved horizontally to dead ahead again and disappeared by receding in the distance at high speed. (Jan Aldrich)

Jan. 31, 1950
President Truman announces his approval of the H-bomb project.  This was widely seen as a "crash program" and the number one super secret weapon to counter the surprise Soviet atomic bomb of Aug. 1949 which had caught Western intelligence off guard by coming many years sooner than predicted. Later in 1950 it would be widely thought that flying saucers trumped even the A-bomb and H-bomb. (Brad Sparks)

Jan. 31, 1950; N of Aleutian Islands, Alaska (BBU)
6:55 p.m. USAF pilot saw 3 ft red and white elliptical object flying E. (Project 1947)

Feb. 2, 1950; Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, Ariz. (BBU)
USAF bomber pilot saw object trailing smoke. (Weinstein; BB files??)

Feb. 5, 1950; Teaticket, Mass. (BBU)
5:10 p.m. Marvin Odom, former U.S. Navy fighter pilot, USAF Lt. Philip Foushee, pilot from Otis AFB, and 2 others saw 2 thin, illuminated cylinders, one dropped a fireball, both maneuvered together then disappeared high and fast. (Berliner) 5 mins

11:45 p.m. USAF crew of B-29 bomber saw 300 ft long 30 ft wide rocket-shaped object flying at 2,000+ mph. [Eastern Airlines??] (Project 1947; FUFOR Index) multiple?

Feb 18, 1950, Holloman AFB, NM
0610-0640.  Driving north from Holloman AFB, MSTMajor William J. Maynor, M/SGT Raymond F Gotainger, M/SGT William R. Royal Observed in a break in the clouds an object the size of a coffee cup at arm's length which appeared to be a very bright light and as the sum arose occasionally reflected the light of the sun from the lower half of the object. It diminished to such a degree that it was no longer visible after its movement of about 10 degrees.  The AF suggested Vega, but a balloon at high altitude is a better suggestion. (Maxwell PBB roll 7, frames 1212-1215.)

Feb. 22, 1950
TRUE publishes a follow up article by an active duty Navy officer Cdr. Robert McLaughlin claiming in the March 1950 issue that scientists at White Sands Proving Ground had tracked a UFO at escape velocity (the 18,000 mph speed was actually orbital velocity and was merely assumed, not tracked or measured by Charles B. Moore, in the Apr. 24, 1949, incident).  McLaughlin states he believes UFO's are extraterrestrial.  AF views this as another Navy attack on the Air Force.  (Brad Sparks)

Feb. 22, 1950; Key West, Fla.
Navy pilots, others, saw glowing UFO, confirmed by radar. [IV]

Feb. 24, 1950; Albuquerque, New Mexico (BBU 642)
1:55 p.m. While tracking a weather balloon from atop TWA Bld. at the Municipal Airport, 1.5 mins (theod). Weather Observer Luther B. McDonald saw crossing the field of view in the theodolite a white, round object not quite as elongated as an egg, darkened on the top-left side, flying straight and level from about 20° to 23° elevation at about 110° azimuth in the E apparently on a trajectory towards them on about a 240° to 270° heading, covering 2° in 1-1/2 mins [probable round-off in angles so that elevation may have changed from about 20.5° to 22.5° and azimuth from about 109° to 111°]. Object’s angular size about that of the upper part of the moon as seen through theodolite [probable 21x telescope sight of David White pibal theodolite]. Lost sight when shifted to weather balloon (and back). Weather Observer Harrison S. Manson also observed object with the naked eye, for about 20-30 secs, (unaided) appearing to be brilliant white like metal reflecting sunlight the apparent size of a weather balloon about to disappear in the distance, impression of flight heading to ESE [actually from ESE]. (Berliner; Jan Aldrich)

Feb. 24, 1950; Datil, New Mexico (BBU)
7:30 p.m. (MST). Stanfield and other Holloman AFB Photographic Branch project staff for tracking aerial phenomena at the Datil observation post saw and photographed a circular luminous object 15.31 arcmins (0.2552°) in diameter with a 3.785° long trail, using 1-5 Cineflex camera with 3-inch focal length lens. (Sparks; FUFOR Index) observation post photo.

Feb. 25, 1950. Datil, New Mexico
2-2:30 a.m. White round light reappeared in the same position in the sky from 4 hours earlier, changing to red and green, moving slightly towards the NW, then disappeared behind mountain. Angular velocity 0.5°/.min [in azimuth?] calculated by LaPaz. Note this is 2nd sighting of the same night by this Holloman AFB UFO observation post. (Sparks; BB NARA Microfilm Roll 91, pp. 465-6; Maxwell Microfilm Roll 7 pp. 1226-52) 30 min, observation post photo.

Feb. 25, 1950; Los Alamos, New Mexico (BBU 645)
3:55 p.m. 12 AEC Atomic Energy Security Service (AESS) inspectors saw a cylinder with tapered ends, silver and flashing, fly slow then fast, flutter and oscillate, change course. (Berliner) 3 secs to 2 mins

Feb. 27, 1950; Counterville, Illinois (BBU)
7 a.m.  Pilot and aircraft mechanic Richard Lemmon was flying [SE] from Wood River to Du Quoin, Illinois, in a PT-19 light training aircraft with his wife, at 2,000 ft when he noticed an object near Coulterville, and he alerted Mrs. Lemmon who then saw the object.  He climbed to 5,000 feet at 140-150 mph where he appeared to be at the same level with the object, reaching as close as 1/2 mile away.  Object was in the shape of a discus about 60 feet in diameter, 10 feet thick in the middle and thinner at the edges, with a high metallic shine.  Lemmon flew above, below and to side of object to be sure it was real and no reflection or illusion.  No markings or breaks in the metal for windows or rotors, etc., but had impression of "cuts of a piece of a pie."  No flames, smoke or vapor trails.  Object was highly maneuverable and made several turns, right and left, up and down.  Object tilted in the direction of motion with no distinguishable front or rear.  No visible means of propulsion.   Lemmon tried to buzz people on the ground to look up at the object.   Object picked up speed to disappear at "great speed" [near Pinckneyville/ Du Quoin?].  (Sparks;  BB files;  Project 1947 website;  NICAP website;  UP, Du Quoin, Ill., March 14, 1950;  Loren Gross Jan-March 1950, pp. 26, 93)  15 mins  2 witnesses  2 Full Moons

"How Scientists Tracked a Flying Saucer," by Cmdr. R. B. McLaughlin, USN, reported April 24, 1949 White Sands sighting. [I]

March 1, 1950; Knoxville, TN
Witness not considered reliable. Incident involved the use of an Army surplus radar unit.

Estimate - Soviets Pose Dangerous Threat By Mid 1952
On March 2, 1950, a Joint Chiefs of Staff; (JCS) meeting focused on establishing goals for a minimum air defense by 1952. The following month at a USAF Commanders Conference at Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico, planners familiarized commanders with the thinking behind the plan of minimum defense as well as with its contents. Referred to as the Blue Book Plan, it stipulated that a minimum air defense could be in place by mid-1952. It was estimated that July 1, 1952, as the critical date when the Soviets would pose a dangerous threat. General Charles Cabell expected the Soviets to have between 45 and 90 atom bombs and 70 to 135 Tu-4 bombers (copied B-29s) by that time.

March 3, 1950; Selfridge AFB, Mich. (BBU 650) 
11:05 p.m. USAF 1st Lt. Frank Mattson saw an intense, dull yellowish light descend vertically, then fly straight and level at high speed. (Berliner) 4 mins

March 4, 1950; Near Newburgh, IN
A man was driving east approximately two miles east of the junction of Indiana State Hwy 66 and 261 north of Newburgh, when he observed an object he believed to be a rocket at a distance of approximately 50-75 yards in front of his automobile. 

March 5?, 1950. Vaughn, New Mexico
11:35 a.m. ­ 1;00 p.m. White object in straight flight toward 195° azimuth? at 180-200 mph. (Sparks; BB Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 467-8) 1h25m.
March 5, 1950; Bloomfield, NM
Night. A dark, five-foot diameter disc paced a car. When the driver stopped the car the object circled the car, then sped away at a high speed. (Sources: newspaper clippings, March 10, 1950 and March 27, 1950; Loren Gross, UFOs: A History, 1950: January-March, pp. 31-32).

March 8, 1950; Over Wright-Patterson AFB, ATIC, Ohio
In mid-morning, the CAA received a report from Capt. W. H. Kerr, Trans-World Airways pilot, that he and two other TWA pilots had a UFO in sight. A gleaming UFO was visible, hovering at high altitude. CAA also had 20 or more reports on the UFO from the Vandalia area when WPAFB was notified, and sent up four P-51 interceptors. The UFO was also visible to control tower operators and personnel of Air Technical Intelligence Center on the base. Radar had an unidentified target in the same position. (Probable IFO, balloon)

Mar. 8, 1950
Frank Scully cohort Silas M. Newton gives crashed-saucer tale to college class at University of Denver, in the guise of a mysterious Mr. "X."  (Brad Sparks)

March 9, 1950; Selfridge AFB, Mich. (BBU)
7:45-9 p.m. (EST). USAF 1st Lt. Francis E. Parker, 1st Lt. Frank Mattson, Sgt. McCarthy, Cpl. Melton, made multiple air defense ground radar tracking of an object erratically varying height, position and speed from 25,000 to 47,000 ft altitude, 0 to 1,000 mph. (Hynek UFO Rpt. pp. 123-5, 295-7) 75 mins multiple radars (CPS-4 and CPS-5) Not listed as a BBU for some reason. Formerly classified secret, this radar-visual report surfaced as a result of the efforts of a former skeptic. This skeptic not only worked for the U.S. Air Force, he was their consultant on UFOs, none other than Dr. J. Allen Hynek.

March 10, 1950. Phoenix, Ariz.
About 6-6:30 p.m. Object about 200 ft by 30 ft to SSE azimuth 160° at about 40,000-50,000 ft seen by 7 witnesses from moving car. (Sparks; BB Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 338-340, 467-8) 10 mins

March 10, 1950; Orangeburg, S.C.
Disc hovered over city, sped away. [XII]

March 11, 1950. Holloman AFB, New Mexico
1:00 a.m. USAF Air Provost Marshal Major William J. Haynor. (Sparks; BB Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 381-3, 469-470) 5 mins

March 11, 1950; Punta Arenas, Chile (BBU)
12 p.m. Many witnesses saw a silver ping-pong-shaped object at extreme altitude in the NE traveling toward the SW. (Jan Aldrich)

March 13, 1950; Clarksburg, Calif.
Saucer-shaped object descended, hovered with swaying motion, moved away. [IV]

March 13, 1950; Mexico City, Mexico
Airport observers saw 4 UFOs, one through theodolite. [V, Xl

March 16, l950; Dallas, Texas
Navy Chief Petty Officer at Naval Air Station saw a flat oval UFO pass under a B-36 bomber. [IV]. Ruppelt: "Just before noon on March 16, Chief Petty Officer Charles Lewis saw a disk shaped UFO come streaking across the sky and buzz a high flying B-36. Lewis first saw the UFO coming in from the north, lower than the B-36; then he saw it pull up to the big bomber as it got closer. It hovered under the B-36 for an instant, then it went speeding off and disappeared. When the press inquired about the incident, Captain M. A. Nation, commander of the air station, vouched for his chief and added that the base tower operators had seen and reported a UFO to him about ten days before." (RUFO,75; [IV])

March 16, 1950; Farmington, New Mexico
Retired Army Captain, others, saw dozens of discs gyrating in sky. [IV]

March 17, 1950. Los Alamos, New Mexico
3:07-3:08 a.m. 5 AESS inspectors. (Sparks; BB NARA Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 359-364, 469-472) 1-5 secs

March 17, 1950. Los Alamos, New Mexico
4:45 a.m. AESS inspectors. (Sparks; BB NARA Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 359-364, 471-2) 5 secs

March 18, 1950; Nr. Bradford, Ill.
Private pilot watched illuminated oval pass his plane. [V]

March 20, 1950; 35 miles SE of Clovis, New Mexico (BBU)
Morning. USAF pilot of T-6 saw a white spherical then elongated object flying at 2,000 mph. (Project 1947; BB files??)

March 20, 1950; 40 miles E of Little Rock, N of Stuttgart, Ark.(BBU 671)
9:26 [9:29?] p.m. Chicago & Southern Airlines Capt. Jack Adams and First Officer G. W. Anderson, Jr., flying a DC-3 at 2,000 ft heading W from Memphis to Little Rock, saw a 100 ft flat cylinder-section circular disc [or body of object not visible?], width/diameter ratio about 1:4.5, with 9-12 [or 7?] bright white lights or "portholes" along the lower side emitting a soft purple [?] light, and a blinding blue-white center light at the top which flashed 3 times in 9 secs [or 3/sec ??], fly at 700-1,000 mph [or 1,000+ mph?] from the S headed N, passing to their right at about 1/2 mile distance about 1,000 ft higher altitude. (Battelle Unknown No. 11; Project 1947; Ruppelt) 25-35 secs

March 21, 1950; Kirtland AFB, New Mex.
Bt. 1300 & 1330 hrs. UFOs observed from Kirtland Air Force Base and Sandia Base, New Mexico. Objects were silver in color, size approximately that of a dime at arm's length; left no trail or exhaust, had no effect on clouds, and there was no sound or odor detected. Appeared more maneuverable than any known aircraft. The tactics used were similar to the change of positions during dog fights involving two airplanes. However, the way the objects changed position, there seemed to be no similarity to the maneuverability of a conventional plane. Were very maneuverable, made right angle turns, also appeared to reverse (back up) the direction of flight. Another witness, whose name was deleted, viewed two small white objects 15 minutes later from the Sandia Ordnance Area. He said the objects were traveling about 600 miles an hour on an eastward course, while adding: "One made a complete circle around the other just prior to disappearing." About the same time, between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m., four enlisted men: M/Sgt. Guy Johnson, S/Sgt. R. E. Bedwell, Sgt.C. D. Byzewski, and Sgt. M. B. Woodward, sighted a bright silver object, round, and the size of a dime at arm's length, flying over Kirtland Air Force Base. As the object sped in a southeast direction, the witnesses noticed that it was very maneuverable. Zigzag motion up and down. More maneuverable than jet aircraft. Sort of floated like piece of large paper in the air. (Loren E. Gross, UFO'S: A HISTORY 1950: JANUARY - MARCH )

March 22, 1950. Kirtland AFB (Albuquerque), New Mexico
12:10 a.m. (Sparks; BB Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 373-4, 475-6) 1.5-3 secs

March 22,1950; Kirtland AFB, New Mex.
Eleven members of the 4925th Test Group (Atomic) witnessed a UFO northwest of Kirtland AFB, New Mexico, in broad daylight. Another group of sightings were reported the previous day. See Spot Intelligence Report for both days.

March 23, 1950; 85 miles NW of Jacksonville, Florida (BB)
12:30 a.m. EST. A USAF pilot, Lt. Hahn, was on a flight from Jacksonville, Florida, to Robins AFB in a C-47 aircraft. He saw a blue white flame about 50 to 75 feet long coming at him from 11 o'clock at very high speed. T/Sgt. Young, a passenger on the aircraft, also saw the blue white flame approach the C-47. [Probable meteor] (Dan Wilson, BB files)

March 24, 1950 - Project TWINKLE Begins
The efforts of Dr. Kaplan and Major Oder to start a fireball research project came to fruition in the spring of 1950 when the AF Geophysical Research Directorate headed by Oder issued a letter directive on March 16, 1950, authorizing Project TWINKLE. A $20,000 half-year contract was signed with Land-Air, Inc. which operated the phototheodolites at White Sands. Land-Air was to set up a 24 hour watch at a location in New Mexico to be specified by the Air Force and the phototheodolite operators at White Sands were to film any unusual objects which happened to fly past. By this time there had been many sightings in the southwest according to the sighting catalogue compiled by Dr. Lincoln LaPaz for Lt. Col. Rees of the 17th District OSI at Kirtland, AFB, many of them around Holloman AFB. The official contract gave April 1 as the starting date.

March 26, 1950
Newspaper columnist and radio broadcaster Walter Winchell announces on the radio that saucers are Soviet secret weapons (a repeat of his similar announcement of Apr. 3, 1949, apparently inspired by his friend FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, who leaked the worried comments of AF officer Col. Clyde D. Gasser of Project NEPA).  (Brad Sparks)

March 26, 1950; Reno, Nevada
CAA control tower operator saw maneuvering light source. [V]

March 26, 1950; Nr. Washington, D.C.
Former Air Force aircraft inspector dove his plane at disc which zoomed up into overcast. [V]

March 27, 1950; Motubu Peninsula, Okinawa (BBU 678)
10:30 a.m. USAF antiaircraft radar operator Cpl. Bolfango tracked stationary target on radar at 18 miles range for 10 mins at 13,000 ft. Object then moved on 220° heading for 16.9 miles in 2 mins or about 500 mph to a point over a mountain apparently still at 13,000 ft, where it was lost. Visual observation not detailed, only mentioned in summary. (Berliner; Jan Aldrich) 12 mins RV

March 27, 1950
Radio commentator Henry J. Taylor counters the Winchell claim that saucers are Soviet secret-weapons by announcing the "wonderful news" that saucers are in fact U.S. secret weapons, which will reassure the nation when the US Air Force confirms it.  Within days story is twisted to specifically credit the Navy's alleged "top secret" project the Flying Flapjack XF5U (first stories from Los Angeles Mar. 30, then U.S. News & World Report article Apr. 3).  AF is not credited in this pro-Navy story which spreads nationwide forcing the White House to comment.  Pro-Navy anti-AF story is apparently disinformation planted by ex-Hollywood writers in the CIA Office of Policy Coordination (OPC) Political and Psychological Warfare Staff headed by Joseph Bryan III, a future President and Board Chairman of NICAP.  CIA and Navy are traditional allies against the AF and Army.  (Brad Sparks)

March 28, 1950; Santiago, Chile (BBU 680)
3:15 p.m. M/Sgt. Prince Patterson, U.S. Air Attaché's office, saw a white object through binoculars flying at extreme altitude and speed, crossing 30° of sky in the WNW about 300° azimuth at one point briefly lost in sun's glare [at 296° azimuth 29° elevation] then reappearing [and crossing the sky to about 330° azimuth]. Patterson left roof of U.S. Embassy to retrieve camera with telephoto lens but object was gone when he returned. (Berliner; Jan Aldrich) 5-10 secs binoculars. cat 1

March 29 [30?], 1950; Marrowbone Lake, Tenn. (BBU 682)
7 a.m. Real estate salesmen Whiteside and Williams saw 6-12 dark objects shaped like 300-lb. bombs, estimated 5 ft long, flying 500 mph in descent, making a noise like wind blowing through the trees. (Berliner)

April 1, 1950
Project TWINKLE official contract period begins

Apr. 4, 1950
White House comments on news stories claiming flying saucers are Navy or foreign secret weapons.  Press Secretary Charles G. Ross releases statement that the President and his top military aides, air aide Brig. Gen. Robert B. Landry, and naval aide Rear Adm. Robert L. Dennison, all deny that UFO's are some secret government project or a foreign weapon.  Other top officials, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson, et al., chime in support of the White House denials. (Brad Sparks)

April 7, 1950; Logan Airport, Boston, Mass. (BBU)
CAA Watch Supv. Connelly and 3 controllers saw a deep-blue ellipsoid object in the W at 15° elevation moving SW-NE opposite the winds, changing back to blue, split into 2 blue lights revolving around each other then separate, change to white then cherry-red, increasing to 45° elevation, disappearing in NE. Overcast at 16,000 ft. (Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 65-68; FUFOR Index) 10 mins binoculars

April 8, 1950; Kokomo, Indiana (BBU 706)
2 a.m. Earl Baker saw a grey metallic disc, 50 ft in diameter, 15 ft thick, top-shaped with a “conning tower” at the top and three ports on the rim giving off a blue light. Hovered for 2 mins about 200 ft away, slowly spinning and oscillating, then flew away to the N. Baker aroused from sleep by his dog. (Berliner; cf. Vallée Magonia 75)

April 10, 1950; Brookley AFB and Bates Field, Mobile, Alabama (BBU)
2 p.m. USAF control tower operator, civilian tower operator and pilots of 2 aircraft saw an object flying to the NE or E over Brookley AFB at 3,500 ft altitude about 45° elevation from Brookley tower. (Willy Smith files) 30 secs
April 14, 1950; Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey (BBU 711)
2:30 p.m. Army M/Sgt. James saw 4 rectangular, amber objects, about 3 ft by 4 ft, change speed and direction rapidly, rising and falling as a group. (Berliner) 3-4 min

April 17, 1950. Los Alamos, New Mexico
3:30 p.m. UC scientists Buck, et al., with telescope. (Sparks; BB Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 376-9, 475-6) 20-30 secs to 15-30 mins

April 18, 1950; Near Memphis, Texas (BBU)
9 a.m.-12:40 p.m. (CST). CAA observers in Clarendon, Texas, saw unidentified object to the SE while observers in Childress about 50 miles SE saw object to NW and triangulated stationary object midway in between near Memphis, for 3+ hrs beginning at 9 a.m., which did not move significantly despite winds aloft. Northrop engineering test pilot Max Stanley and observers Lloyd Balsam and Sam F. West were asked to intercept object as they were about to take off in F-61C (AF 8357) from Amarillo on an MX-775 test (Navaho cruise missile celestial guidance test), and a B-36 also took off from Ft. Worth to intercept.(Jan Aldrich)

April 23, 1950. Red Bud, Illinois
3:58 p.m. Photographer Dean Morgan, Mr. and Mrs. Greene, and Donald Gene, saw and Morgan photographed hovering object that shot away. (Sparks; Randle)

April 27, 1950; 10 miles NE of Camp Haugen, near Hachinohe, Japan (BBU)
2:45 p.m. Misawa AFB 7th Fighter Bomber Sq USAF pilot 2nd Lt. James Henry Petty was flying F-80C jet fighter in a slight turn to the left at 25,000 ft 320 mph (IAS?) heading NE about 45° azimuth to meet up with a lead aircraft (apparently another F-80C) piloted by Lt. Sofbom of 7th Fighter Bomber Sq, also heading NE at 45° at this point in a sharper gradual left turn, when he saw an unidentified object about 3 miles away at his 2 o'clock position (about ENE) following the lead aircraft in a tracking position about 1,000 ft below and to the right-rear [about 5 o'clock position roughly 1 mile away] from the lead aircraft traveling about 275-300 mph, silhouetted against clouds. During the lead aircrafts wide left turn that eventually resulted in a 260° heading, the UFO accelerated and pulled up to level position [at 3 o'clock] and climbed to the lead planes altitude while the F-80C rapidly approached and overflew both the lead aircraft and UFO, having to climb (slightly) to avoid collision [now heading about NW about 315°], but getting "a very good look from the top and both sides" of the UFO, Petty saw that it was a rectangular cream-colored flat object appearing to be made of "muslin" about 20 ft high, 60 ft long, but only about 2 inches thick, oriented vertically, not reflecting sunlight despite bright sun, no exhaust, no apparent means of propulsion, not wavering or fluttering. Petty first thought it was an aerial tow target but knew there was no aerial gunnery scheduled. After being overflown, UFO pulled away from lead aircraft, accelerated to 600 mph on a 330° heading [climbed to 28,000 ft?], overtook and crossed in front of Petty's F-80C from behind and left to right [from about Petty's 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions] and disappeared in the distance against a clear sky. Similar incident next day near Wakkanai. (Jan Aldrich; Weinstein)

April 27, 1950; Plymouth, Mass. (BBU)
At 0900 hours, 2nd Lt. Frederick A. Beebe, 60th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Otis AFB, Mass., flying an F-86 on a GCI mission at 21,000 feet, observed a light brown, flat oval object flying at terrific speed. Beebe did not attempt pursuit because of the terrific speed of the object. The length of observation was approximately 15 seconds.

April 27, 1950; Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, New Mexico (BBU)
While preparing for an MX-776A Shrike air-to-ground missile test Charles Riggs and other members of USAF contract Land-Air, Inc., Askania theodolite crews saw, tracked, filmed 4 high flying objects on a cinetheodolite at station P-10 and a theodolite at station M-7. Triangulation resulted in 30 ft size and 150,000 ft altitude for the "high speed" objects located between Holloman AFB and Tularosa Peak. (Sparks)

April 27, 1950; Near South Bend (or Goshen?), Indiana. (BBU)
8:25 p.m. Trans World Airlines Flight 117 pilot Capt. Robert Adickes and FO Robert F. Manning heading W en route to Chicago in a DC-3 at about 200 mph and 2,000 ft altitude saw off to the right well to the rear a bright red disc-shaped object, 5:1 to 10:1 width/height ratio, no trail, angular size of an orange at 20 ft, rolling on edge vertically on a parallel course to their plane overtaking it gradually in about 2 mins at slightly below 2,000 ft altitude until it reached about 100° relative bearing about 1/2 mile away. Adickes and stewardess Gloria Henshaw were then called in to watch, as well as at least 11 passengers including Boeing engineers C. H. Jenkins and D. C. Bourland, executives E. J. Fitzgerald, S. N. Miller, et al. When airliner was turned toward the object it veered off at 400 mph dropping down to about 1,500 ft headed N (or NNW), presenting edge on view, disappearing in a few mins. (McDonald 1968; Project 1947; Keyhoe 1953; NICAP)

11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. Misawa AFB 9th Fighter Bomber Sq USAF pilot 1st Lt. James H. Harvey flew an F-80C jet to attempt to intercept unidentified target tracked by Radar Site #18 without success. After 1 hr, at 12:30 p.m., while flying due N 360° about 2 miles W of Wakkanai at 300 mph (IAS?) at 30,000 ft Harvey saw an object about 7 miles to his left in the W on a S 180° heading (click on link above).

April 29,1950; Amarillo, Texas
Alleged encounter where 12-year old boy David Lightfoot reportedly touched a small, saucer-shaped contraption before it flew away and burned him with some kind of gas or liquid. James McDonald re-interviewed the witnesses who didn't outright admit that it was a hoax, but after McD talked to Lightfoot he decided that it had no basis. McDonald letter (Jan Aldrich).

May 5, 1950. Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Several witnesses reported to 57th FIS seeing hovering intense reddishorange light overhaed above Elemendorf AFB beneath overcast cloud layer at 7,000 ft. Hovered for 5 mins then departed at high speed. No noise or acrobatic maneuvers. (Sparks; AFHRA index for 57th FIS History) 5 min

May 7, 1950; 9 miles S of Ely, Nevada (BBU 721)
6:45 p.m. Mr. and Mrs. George Smith and their grandson saw a silvery white object hover at 100 ft altitude, move back and forth then fly up out of sight at high speed. Note in case file: “No investigation.” (Vallée Magonia 79) 10 mins

May 11, 1950; 9 miles W of McMinnville, Oregon (BBU)
7:20 p.m. (PST). Evelyn Trent was feeding the rabbits in their backyard just before sunset when she spotted an object to the N in the distance and called out to her husband Paul Trent, who was in the house at the back door, asking him to retrieve their camera. She went into the garage to look for the camera but he found it in the house, ran out into the yard toward where his wife had been then he saw the rapidly approaching large metallic object to the N, saw the object turn on a W heading, bank its underside upward, felt a gust of wind from the object seemingly, snapped a photo of the object at azimuth 334° (about NNW) elevation 14°, angular size 1.67°, then walked 5 ft to his right to compensate for object's motion to the left, snapped a 2nd photo about 30 secs after the 1st, which shows a metallic pie-pan shaped object 1.46° angular size with a large off-center angled antenna or pole projecting from the top, at azimuth 317° (about NW) 12° elevation. Evelyn had joined him by the time Paul started taking pictures and later described the arc covered between photos as about 15° (close to actual figure 17°). Distance and size of object estimated by the witnesses as about 1/4 mile distance and 20-30 ft diameter, or "parachute-sized" (about 24-28 ft), or maximum angular size 1.3° (close to the photographically measured 1.46°-1.67°). Condon Committee and Bruce Maccabee estimated distance about 1 mile and object diameter about 100 ft. Several other witnesses reportedly saw the object. (Sparks; Condon Report pp. 396-407; Bruce Maccabee; Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 244-5; etc.) 2-3 minutes.

10:30 a.m. Two military aircraft pilots saw triangular object tracked by ground radar. (Project 1947; McDonald list)

May 20, 1950; Flagstaff, Ariz.
Astronomer/meteorologist observed a "powered" disc-like object from the grounds of Lowell Observatory. [I]

May 21, 1950
Second Gallup Poll on flying saucers is released (first was in Aug. 1947).  (Brad Sparks)

May 24, 1950; Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, New Mexico (BBU)
During an MX-674 Tarzon controllable vertical bomb test, Floyd Fannon and other USAF crew members saw 8 unidentified objects then separately tracked and filmed 2 of the objects down the North American Aviation missile firing range. Cinetheodolite station P-8 filmed one object to the NE for 6 frames (1.0 sec) moving uniformly to the S from azimuth 38°26'59.2" to 38°33'59.2" and elevation 47°32'20" to 47°25'50". Cinetheodolite station P-10, located 5.6781 miles down range to the N (to azimuth 347.07723°) from P-8 and 7 ft higher, filmed another object, hence no triangulation possible, viewed to the E for 74 frames (14.6 secs) moving uniformly to the N from azimuth 86° 9' 9.2" to 85°47' 9.2" and elevation 25°48' 0" to 25° 7'50". (Sparks)

Summary of Observations - Dec 48 to May 50 (our cleaned up document version)
Pursuant to direct orders from Brig. Gen. Joseph Carroll, Director of Special Investigations (AFOSI), HQ USAF, Washington, DC, on a visit to the AFOSI office at Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM, a catalog of UFO (aerial phenomena) sightings including the mysterious Green Fireballs is prepared by Dr. Lincoln LaPaz for Lt. Col. Doyle Rees, commander of AFOSI 17th District at Kirtland, who sends it to Gen. Carroll. 

Re: Summary to Brig. Gen. Joseph Carroll, Director of Special Investigations, HQ USAF, Washington, DC

May 29, 1950; About 7 miles W of Mt. Vernon, Virginia (BBU)
9:20 p.m. Capt. Willis T. Sperry with about 10,000 flying hours, copilot Bill Gates, flight engineer Robert Arnholt, a stewardess and 2-3 or 8 passengers on a DC-6 airliner headed 230° (about SW) out of Washington, D.C., en route to Nashville, at 7,500 ft at 250 mph, saw a spindle-shaped 150 ft long metallic object with intense blue light (about mag. -6) on the tail, beginning with Gates who sighted blue light from their DC-6 airliner on head on collision course. Sperry made evasive 45° turn to the right (to 275° heading), object passed from 11 o'clock to 7 o'clock position (about 125° or SE) to the left at slightly higher altitude meanwhile crossing in front of upper part of full moon to the S (at 145° or 159° azimuth 22° or 27° elevation, depending on whether EST or EDT time, 97% full) where submarine-like silhouette clearly seen, about 5 miles away. Sperry turned left back onto original course to get the object back in view, object may have stayed stationary about 30 secs at this point. Gates then noticed object circled around to the right side, Sperry banked right again, while the object paced the airliner about 20-30 secs before climbing to the E at a 30° angle at "fantastic" speed and disappearing. (Sparks)

June (?), 1950, Redfern, Australia
Sam Kaufman had discovered among his papers this drawing (see below *) by a friend of his, Mr. Frank James. Mr. James, a taxi driver, was on his way to work when he saw this object hovering over the main railway lines into the city of Sydney. The object was over Refern, which is an inner suburb of Sydney. Mr. James and many other people on the street looked up at an object that was dull grey in color. According to James, the “grill” on the underside rotated slowly.  He said the arms were withdrawn when the “thing” moved off. As soon as he arrived at work James drew sketches of the object while the details were still fresh in his memory. (Rob Swiatek, Rich Vitello, Barry Greenwood)

June 12, 1950; California
Geologist saw disc-shaped object loop around plane. [VI]

8:25 p.m. Air National Guard C-47 pilot Santini saw a triangular object pass the aircraft at 700 mph. (Project 1947; FUFOR Index)

June 17, 1950; Hasselbach, East Germany (BBU)
2:30 a.m. Central Europe Time. Oscar Linke and daughter Gabriella spotted landed 40-50 ft frying pan-shaped object with two rows of 1 ft holes on the periphery, a 10 ft tall black conical tower on top, about 450 ft away, walked towards it until at about 130 ft away saw two "men" in shiny metallic one-piece suits stooped over, and approached to within 30 ft of the "men," when Gabriella called out, the "men" were alarmed and jumped on the conical tower and went inside [object about 80 ft from witnesses?]. The tower retracted, a cylindrical support column shifted position, object turned from green to red, a slight hum was heard, it lifted off the ground and started spinning, sound turned to a whistling as it accelerated and headed off toward Stockhelm. Linke found a round dug impression in the ground seeming to match the support column of the object. (Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 204-6; Davis-Bloecher 1978; Loren Gross)

June 21, 1950, Misawa AFB, Japan (BB)
At 3:05 p.m. local time (0605Z), Capt. Obermiller _ Fighter Bomber Wing on a golf course observed a circular-shaped object estimated to be 30 feet in diameter and 5 feet thick at 7000 feet altitude. Object appeared to be traveling at 650 MPH and parallel to an F-80 aircraft at 1000 feet above. Object rose vertically 1000 feet, seemed to change direction and rapidly disappeared at an estimated 975 MPH. The witness is a rated transport and fighter pilot. (BB files/Dan Wilson)

June 21, 1950; Hamilton AFB, California (BB)
1:35 a.m. Corp. Roger G. Pryor, a control-tower operator, and S/Sgt. Ellis R. Lorimer, another control-tower operator, and S/Sgt. Virgil Cappuro, member of the airways communications staff, observed an object the airmen described as circular, thick in the center and tapering to the sides. They used binoculars in following its course. The men said the disc was accompanied by a roar like thunder and the blue flame looked like an acetylene torch. They described its approach altitude at between 2000 and 5000 feet. The object made five passes near the base moving at speeds estimated to be between 1000 and 1500 mph. The whole affair lasted for approximately 25 minutes. The PROJECT 10073 RECORD CARD, states that the evaluation on this case is INSUFFICIENT DATA - Report not in file, card not in file, case missing. [Dan Wilson, UFO Evidence, Section III].

June 23, 1950; Tuscaloosa, Alabama (BB)
1:00 p.m. CST. Twenty-thirty civilians observed an object like a flaming red cross moving slowly across the sky at approximately 5000 feet in altitude. The object was observed for about 30 minutes, then disappeared into a thunderhead cloud. The Project Blue Book evaluation of the sighting is listed as Insufficient Data. (BB files, Dan Wilson)

June 23, 1950; Gulf of Mexico (BBU)
7:40 p.m. (CST). USAF 308th Recon Group, Tinker AFB, Okla., “Pelican” weather recon flight at 10,000 ft heading about 30° (about NNE turned to 326° at 7:44 p.m.) ground speed 173 knots (199 mph) with crew navigator 1st Lt. Donald D. Sherr, scanner Sgt. Elbert C. Bishop, engineer Tech. Sgt. John W. Horn, radio operator Sgt. Claudio S. Gonzales, saw at relative bearing 80° [to the right to the ESE?, contra other data to the left or NW?] a huge ball of fire descend slowly in 1-1/2 mins in a wavy spiral or erratic elongated “S” shaped path from at least 50,000 ft to 20,000 ft (or from 50-70 miles down to 30 miles per one witness) at estimated position 28°45’ N, 89°45’ W [estimated by triangulating vapor trail as aircraft flew along a baseline of about 60 miles from a distance of about 270 miles ?] where it faded, leaving an extremely bright glowing bluish or blue-white smoke or vapor trail that persisted for 20 mins without dimming for 15 mins then finally fading into a soft blur at about 8:00 p.m. bright object with extremely bright trail flying erratically. Numerous other witnesses in Alabama, Texas, Mississippi [?], including National Airlines pilot Capt. James L. Hansen flying near Mobile, Ala., J. A. Ellis of Rosedale, Ala. (Jan Aldrich; FUFOR Index)

June 24, 1950; 24, 1950; Daggett, Calif.(BBU)
8:08 p.m. (PST). Numerous observers over Nevada and Calif. United Airlines Capt. E. L. Remlin, First Officer David Stewart, observer Capt. Sam B. Wiper, and crew of 2, plus about 25 of 50 passengers on an airliner at 290 mph at 14,000 ft saw a brilliant bluish-center cylindrical or dirigible-shaped object with orange-tint fly a parallel course with the airliner for 20 miles [3-5 mins duration] at about 20-30 miles distance at 20,000 or 60,0000 or 80,000 ft then fade in the distance. Navy transport pilot sighted dark gray or gunmetal cigar-shaped object 1/8 Full Moon angular size, with faint radiant exhaust at estimated speed 1,000-1,500 mph, altitude 50,000-100,000 ft, 3 mins, traveling N then turned W to disappearance. Lovelock, Nev., airport 30 pilots sighted vapor trail persisting for 20 mins. Witnesses in Ely, Pioche, and Briston Silver Mine, Nev., sighted vapor trail or smoke in a “3” shape to the W for ½ hour. (Jan Aldrich; David Rudiak; Weinstein; UFO Evid.) 3 mins (1/2 hr duration of contrail)

June 25, 1950
North Korean troops and tanks cross the 38th parallel and invade South Korea in a secret war plan instigated by Soviet ruler Josef Stalin.  The Communist aggression opens the floodgates for military funding which increases by 350%, allowing for languishing AF Intelligence and R&D projects to get funded, including UFO investigations (Brad Sparks) 

7:50 a.m. Red River Arsenal employees Terrell and Yates saw a bright object shaped like two dishpans face-to-face, fly straight and level at high speed. (Berliner) 4-5 secs

June 27 ?, 1950; Louisville, Kentucky (BBU)
Movie film of UFO taken by newspaper reporter Al Hixenbaugh. Clandestine investigations initiated by AF Intelligence and AF R&D. (Sparks; FUFOR Index) film

June 29, 1950. Phoenix to Blythe, Calif
5:45-8:35 p.m. B-29 pilot. (BB NARA Microfilm Roll 91 pp. 482

June 30, 1950; Nr. Cunningham, Kansas
Night. The Rev. Ross Vermillion, 26, a WW II bomber pilot, said he saw a flying saucer hovering over US Hwy 54 near Cunningham, Kansas. The witness, paster of the Cheney Christian Church, said his wife, and the family of Dwayne Mulnix, druggist, of Meade, Kansas, also saw the saucer and watched it for about 20 minutes while driving along the highway. They stopped and watched it, then started to drive closer but it sped away. As seen in the bright moonlight, the object was made of bright metal and had an elliptical body "as big as the cross-section of a B-29", and had a rotor turning counter-clockwise around the body. [XII, Reference: Lawrence Journal World, July 1, 1950, Page 7, Dan Wilson)

11:15 p.m. On that night, two navy men were pulling duty on radar watch from dusk until dawn. The two reported a radar contact bearing 160 degrees at 5 miles [8.3 kilometers]. There was nothing unusual about the initial sighting except that the target remained in the same position for approximately 4 minutes before moving slowly out to sea to a range of 10 miles [16.6 kilometers]. At this point the target was observed to move quickly back inland whereupon radar contact was lost at 23:27 hours. But that wasn¹t the end of it. See report.

July 1950
Flying  magazine article, "Flying Saucers -- Fact or Fiction?" summarized recent UFO sightings by pilots.

July 1950; Cincinnati, Ohio
CAA flight engineer observed a "wingless, fuselage-shaped" UFO. [V]

July 5, 1950; Los Angeles, California
At midnight, William Grant, a former Marine Corps aerial photographer observed a brilliantly lighted circular object in the sky.  When first seen the object was about 1000 feet overhead moving at about 100 mph then increased to about 500 mph before disappearing behind the Hollywood Hills. It was in sight about 45 seconds. It left no exhaust trail and made no sound. Grant estimated the object was 50 feet in circumference. Reference: (The Evening Independent, Massillon, Ohio, Page 2, New 'Flying Object' Seen in California)     

July 6, 1950
AF Intelligence Director, Gen. Cabell, discovers that AMC is not conducting a secret UFO study at all and is forced to arrange for his own investigations of a number of sightings including a movie film case. AMC Intelligence Dept headed by Col. Harold Watson grudgingly revives Project GRUDGE in response to Cabell's complaint. Cabell decides he will fire Watson if he ever gets direct command authority over him (which he does on May 21, 1951).  (Brad Sparks)

July 7, 1950; Weisbaden, Germany
10:20 p.m. local. At approximately 2120Z the operator of the GCA scope noticed the presence of a radar target in addition to the aircraft under control. A second radar operator confirmed the presence of the additional target. After several minutes the radar target then seemed to separate into 2 or 3 individual targets spaced 90 degrees to 100 degrees apart. The separate targets then seemed to move at a very high rate of speed in a counterclockwise motion on the scope. (Dan Wilson)

July 11, 1950; Near Osceola, Ark. (BBU)
The crews of two Navy planes saw a disc-shaped UFO whose presence was confirmed by airborne radar. Lt. (j.g.) J. W. Martin, enlisted pilot R.E. Moore, and electronics technician G.D. Wehner said the object first appeared as a round ball, ahead and to the left of their planes. As it crossed their flight path, disappearing in the distance to the right, the UFO resembled a "World War I helmet seen from the side, or a shiny, shallow bowl turned upside down." Wehner said he "caught it on the radar scope," at the closest point, it was estimated to be about a mile away. (Weinstein; BB files??)

July 13, 1950; Fort Peck, Montana (BBU)
11:50 a.m. USAF Weather Recon flight crew saw 4 groups of round metallic silver objects. (Weinstein)

July 13, 1950; Huntsville, Alabama (BBU 758)
5 p.m. 2 Redstone Arsenal employees including Mr. Washburn, saw a polished aluminum object, shaped like a bowtie fly straight and level, then one triangle rotated 1/4 turn in the opposite direction and returned to its original position. Object then made a right-angle turn and accelerated away. (Berliner; FUFOR Index) 30 secs

July 15, 1950. Los Alamos, NM
2:15 p.m. Sighting from Gamma Bld., LANL, of bright metallic aluminumcolored flying-wing-shaped object, no fuselage, with transparent section in middle, 15° above the horizon, heading E to W over mountain range at estimated distance  of 15 miles, size about 35 ft, speed about 300 mph, yawing motion in straight flight, seen from window which blocked view of disappearance. (Sparks; BB NARA Microfilm Roll 91, pp. 489-492) 1 min

Aug. 4, 1950; Approx. 100 miles SE of New York City (773)
10 a.m. (EDT). Master Nils Lewring, Chief Mate Jacob Koelwyn, and the Third Mate, of M/V Marcala saw a 10 ft elliptical half-egg or cylindrical object, with shiny aluminum or metallic white surface sparkling in sunlight, approach from the SW heading NE at 50-100 ft altitude, approaching to within 1,000 ft or 10 miles (depending on witness) at 25 to 500 mph (depending on witness), flying with a churning or rotary motion, accelerating at end of sighting. (Berliner; Tony Rullan; NICAP website) 15 secs to 1.5 mins

Aug. 7, 1950; Santa Fe, New Mexico (BBU)
4 a.m. [?] USAF fighter pilot Frazier with 93rd FI Sq saw black object at 20,000 ft disappear in the distance. (Project 1947; FUFOR Index)
1:22 p.m. (GMT). RAF Fighter Command Control at Neatishead radar tracked an unidentified aircraft  located near Cromer at 15,000 ft traveling about 325 knots (375 mph). Neatishead GCI controller scrambled 257 Squadron Red Section leader Flight Lt. Kartley and a wingman at 1:24 p.m. in 2 RAF Meteor jet fighters from RAF Horsham St. Faith airborne 1:27 p.m. At 1:28 p.m. Neatishead Type 13 radar tracked target at 40,000 ft and height was radioed to jets which leveled off at 15,000 ft. At 1:35 p.m. jets reached 10 miles N of Cromer climbing in altitude to 25,000 and 30,000 ft where the pilots saw two vapor trails suggesting to them widely spaced engines on a single aircraft to their right at great distance and higher altitude on a heading of 280° on a parallel course to the jets. Jets got “slightly ahead” of the contrails while keeping them in sight, at a radar track range of 5 miles to the target.  [See detailed report] (Jan Aldrich)

Aug. 15, 1950; Great Falls, Montana
11:30 a.m. Nicolas Mariana obtained 16 mm color movies of two UFOs which appear as bright circular points of light. Footage of UFOs at closer range, confirming visual observation of discs with rotating rims, was reported missing from film when returned by Air Force. Remaining footage was contained in United Artists documentary movie "UFO" and compared to July 2, 1952, Trementon, Utah film showing similar images. Mr. Mariana used Daylight Kodachrome film in a Revere turret type camera and obtained 315 frames showing the UFOs. The film was examined by the Air Force and Navy, but no formal reports released. Report on Photogrammetric analysis by Dr. Robert M. L. Baker, Jr., Douglas Aircraft Corporation, on file at NICAP. Air Force explanation that UFOs were reflections off jet aircraft said to be "quite strained," and the analyst states no definite conclusion. However, UFOs could not be explained as any conventional objects.

Aug. 15, 1950
The British Ministry of Defence's Directorate of Scientific Intelligence (DSI) in conjunction with the interagency Joint Technical Intelligence Committee (JTIC) set up a special Flying Saucer Working Party with representatives of each of several agencies to review UFO cases.  DSI action was requested by top MoD scientific adviser Sir Henry Tizard following a RAF radar incident of June 1, 1950, and possibly an RAF Daylight Disc sighting on Aug. 14. Working Party members are extremely skeptical and work to find ways to debunk UFO incidents and eventually render a caustically negative final report in June 1951. (Brad Sparks) 
Aug. 20, 1950; Nicosia, Cyprus (BBU 793, 783?)
1:30 p.m. USAF MATS liaison officer Lt. William G. Ghormley, Col. William V. Brown, Lt. Col. Lloyd W. Brauer heard an aircraft overhead (a Turkish C-47 at 9,500 ft heading SE to Beirut) and looked for it but saw a small, round or elliptical, bright object directly overhead traveling W at terrific speed and high altitude moving somewhat erratically passing through the glare of the sun about 15° below zenith with no change in brightness [sun then at 58° elevation 231° azimuth to the SW], until disappearing about 30°-35° above the [W?] horizon, clear weather visibility 50+ miles. Brown called Brauer’s attention to object the last 2-3 secs. (Jan Aldrich) 15-20 secs

Aug. 21, 1950. Echterdingen Air Base, Stuttgart, W Germany
9:54, 9:58-9:59 a.m. USAF Cpl. George P. Scarlett, 18th Weather Sq, Det 18- 32, Echterdingen AB (Army Air Field), launched a 100- gram pilot balloon tracked by theodolite at 9:30 a.m., briefly noticed a small white object pass across his field of view at about 9:54 a.m., just before the balloon burst at 9:55 a.m. He followed a broken balloon fragment in the theodolite for 3 mins after the balloon burst, when at 9:58 a.m. he spotted a small white object again crossing his 2° field of view of the theodolite, at azimuth 80° (almost due E) 25° elevation headed S for 1 min, appearing as a white oval 15 arcmins in size [1/2 Full Moon with naked eye but possibly 10 Full Moons in theodolite] increasing in size to 50 arcmins [1.5 Full Moons or perhaps 30 Full Moons in optics] then appearing grayish-white with several small lines or shadows on its surface with indistinct outline, when it abruptly changed direction to WSW at high speed and disappeared into the sun [at 99° azimuth 25° elevation]. (Sparks; BB Maxwell Microfilm Roll 8, pp. 161-2) ? + 1+ min 1 1.5 [in optics equiv to 30 ?] theodolite

Aug. 23, 1950, FBI memo
August 23, 1950 / FBI memorandum reporting ongoing UFO activity at nuclear weapons facilities in New Mexico during the previous several months.

Aug. 23, 1950. Philadelphia, Penn.
9:05 p.m. (EDT). Retired USAF Col. D. Moreau Barringer and mother-in-law Mrs. Albert Newcombe sighted a white point of light 15 to 45 arcsecs in diameter (?) with sharp leading edge, flickering trailing edge with short yellowish flame exhaust trail, to the NNE (?) coming up from the tree-lined horized S (?) towards zenith, getting a little brighter, passed near bright stars including Vega [at 103° azimuth 85° elevation] so its brightness could be estimated at about 0 mag., passing 2° to 3° W of zenith, but noiseless, without altering course, disappeared in the trees on the S (?) horizon, where the ¾ Moon was visible [at azimuth 167° elevation 20° illuminated 85%]. Speed possibly 300 mph if at 6,000 ft or 1,500 mph if at 25,000 ft [angular velocity about 4°/sec]. (Sparks; BB Maxwell Microfilm Roll 8, pp. 164- 7) 30-40 secs 2 1/40

Aug. 24, 1950; About 250 miles SW of Bermuda (BBU 787)
8:04-8:24, 8:27 p.m. (AST). USAF 373rd Recon Sq (Very Long Range) B-29 from Kindley AFB, Bermuda, piloted by 1st Lt. Frank J. Stockton was flying at 192 knots (221 mph) at 10,000 ft heading 27° (about NNE) when radarman S/Sgt. William W. Shaffer turned on his APQ-13-A radar and tracked a distinct bright unidentified target appearing to travel at same speed and heading as B-29 but about 1,000 ft lower and at 10° left of dead ahead 12 o’clock position about 1-1/2 miles away. Shaffer alerted pilot Stockton who alerted crew to look for visual, without success, possibly due to 50% cumulus cloud coverage; two officers verified Shaffer’s radar scope readings. Radar target maintained position for several mins then started to fall behind gradually until overtaken by B-29 passing about 1/4 mile to the left, then holding a trailing position behind the B-29 for about 5 mins, then increased speed passing B-29 on the right at about 1/4 mile, drawing slightly ahead of B-29 then gradually turning away to the right and accelerating rapidly. Pilot turned away 20° left to see if target would follow, but it didn’t, instead continuing its gradual right turn until it disappeared off scope at about 400 knots (460 mph) at 8:24 p.m. at 30°15’ N, 67°12’ W [about 30 miles to the SSW when B-29 was at about 30°37’ N, 66°54’ W]. At about 8:27 p.m. B-29 crew member saw a bluish streak flash past the left wing from head on position about 1,000 ft below, appearing like a meteor but less bright than lightning. (Jan Aldrich)

Aug. 27, 1950; Near Brockton, Mass. (BBU)
6:30 p.m. USN radio mechanic John T. Early from Quonset NAS, Rhode Is., who was a licensed civilian pilot, was flying with a passenger Russell Des-Jardins at 1,300 ft when they spotted a shiny white spherical object with no projections or irregularities on its surface about 20 ft diameter at least 1,000 ft below their aircraft flying at high speed, jet speed [600 mph?], to the E cross wind. No exhaust smoke or unusual noise. (Jan Aldrich)

Aug. 30, 1950; Earnest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland
At 0545Z (1:15 a.m. local time) an object was picked up on the GCA scope travelling at an estimated 40 to 60 mph at an estimated 4 to 6 thousand feet on a course of 120 degrees until it reached the 5-mile ring where it paused for 30 seconds. A blip picked up on a second scope veered to a heading of approx. 210 degrees then to 140 degrees and disappeared at approx 9 mile range. There were no aircraft in the GCA area at the time. (Dan Wilson)

Aug. 30, 1950; S of Sandy Point/Indian Head, Newfoundland, Canada. (BBU)
1:30-1:50 p.m. (ADT). 3 civilian Harmon AFB Water Transportation Section employees, John Kaeel, Fred Messervery and John Smith, located [in a boat] about 2 miles S of Indian Head (48°29’ N, 58°30’ W) saw a black or dark round object the size [shape?] of a barrel resembling a “large balloon” located about 3 miles SW of Indian Head (at 48°27’ N, 58°33’ W) about 1-1.5 [?] miles offshore [apparently about 2 miles to the W of the observers]. The object was hovering just above the water and after a few mins began to slowly ascend to about 15-20 ft above water, then descended again to just above water, in about a 40-60-sec cycle each time which occurred 3 times. On the last cycle the object remained near the surface about 3-4 mins when it ascended vertically until disappearance at 1:50 p.m. [See similar sighting at 2 p.m. near Kippens.] Helicopter search at 4:20 p.m. negative. [No unidentified ground radar returns were reported yet false explanation of “WX Returns” (weather returns) inserted into BB file listings.] (Jan Aldrich) 20 mins

Aug. 30, 1950; S of Kippens, Newfoundland, Canada (BBU 790)
2 and 4? p.m. (ADT). William Alexander, son Bill Alexander and nephew Austin Alexander, fishing in a dory boat about 1-1/2 miles offshore from Kippens, saw a black or yellowish-brown object thought to be a submarine, the size of a dory [about 20 ft] about 1-1/2 to 2 miles away [to the S?], about 3 miles offshore about 15-20 ft above the water, the shape of a large aerial gunnery target balloon or a barrel with a pole or periscope trailing from its center line into the water, moving at 3-5 mph to the NNE [towards shore?]. Object disappeared over the horizon; briefly re-sighted from high ground ashore sometime later [about 4 p.m.?]. Reported to the USAF at 4:10 p.m. No smoke, exhaust, noise or markings. Helicopter search at 4:20 p.m. negative. [See earlier similar sighting from Sandy Point/Indian Head.] (Jan Aldrich)

Aug. 30, 1950; Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, New Mexico (BBU)
10:45 a.m. During a Bell Aircraft MX-776 Shrike missile test (for the later Rascal air-to-ground strategic missile) USAF M/Sgt and 8 Bell Aircraft employees on base saw two glaringly bright circular to elliptical unidentified objects maintaining relative position to each other following the B-50 launch aircraft from above on both the dry run and hot run prior to missile release. Objects gave "strong glare at all times" not reflected sunlight, maneuvered at high estimated speeds up to 10x the B-50 or roughly 2,500 mph for short distances, left no vapor trails, hovered, accelerated rapidly, made abrupt "square" turns with apparent size changing to indicate ascent and descent. (Sparks; Jan Aldrich; McDonald files) 30 mins

Aug. 31, 1950; Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, New Mexico (BBU)
10 a.m. ­ 1 p.m. (MST). After V-2 missile launch no. 51, Project TWINKLE Askania theodolite crews tracked and filmed multiple objects sporadically several times from several different directions at very high speeds over the course of 3 hrs. Askania cinetheodolite station P-5 filmed object with major axis varying from 8.65 to 13.243 arcmins (0.1442° to 0.22072°), minor axis 3.493 arcmins (0.05822°), one frame per second 60 cm focal length camera, 35 mm color film. Tape recording of audio reporting. Frames 593 and 595 (2 secs of nearly 10 mins? of film of object) show elevation angle changing from 53°44' to 52°38' at a rate of 0.37°/sec. Attempted interception by 4 F-86 jets from 93rd FIS, Kirtland AFB, for 1 hr failed to locate objects, which apparently returned after jets left. Cinetheodolite observers noted object with definite shape and 3-D depth but indistinct or not sharp edges, no smoke or trail, object seemed to “rock or oscillate,” lost when observer looked away to get angle reading. (Sparks; McDonald files; Jan Aldrich)

Sept. 1, 1950; McKorryuk, Nunivak Island, Aleutians, Alaska (BBU)
7:30-7:35 p.m. Nunivak Island CAA Airways Observer Timothy J. Kenick, George Williams and others saw a strange deep red ball of fire near the horizon to the N towards Siberia "hundreds of feet" high which slowly faded out, followed by sudden appearance of another round red ball of fire above the first slowly fading out repeated another 2 times or so gradually becoming oval shaped and moving toward Siberia, finally disappearing behind clouds. (Jan Aldrich)

2 p.m. Major R. J. Gardiner saw 3 metallic bronze discs, 20-30 ft long, 2-6 ft thick, moving independently and erratically; his wife and neighbor [Fortney?] saw 1 object. (Berliner; FUFOR Index) 5 mins

Sept. 8, 1950
                             Frank Scully's book Behind the Flying Saucers is released.  (Brad Sparks)

Sept. 8, 1950
Air Force Intelligence (AFOIN) Collection Division's Collection Control Branch (AFOIN-CC-1) at the Pentagon in Washington, DC, issues new intelligence reporting directive requiring special handling and reporting of UFO incidents, "Reporting of Information on Unconventional Aircraft," thus reversing the cancellation directive of Jan. 12, 1950. Action reflects the increasing interest by AFOIN Director, Gen. Cabell, and his dissatisfaction with AMC inaction on UFO study at Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio.  (Brad Sparks) 

Sept. 8, 1950; Germany (BBU)
(McDonald list)

Sept. 13, 1950; 5 miles SW of Effingham, Illinois (BBU)
7:30 p.m. (CST). Private plane pilot Frye saw 3 dull red lights in triangle formation on collision course. (Project 1947; FUFOR Index)

Sept. 15, 1950
With U.S. and South Korea almost forced off the Korean Peninsula by North Korean forces, a rumor is planted with a gullible young Canadian radio engineer visiting Washington, which is designed to boost Allied morale with sensational news of a super secret weapon greater than even the H-bomb (which was the number one secret weapon in public eyes at the time).  Based on tips evidently passed along by radio engineer Ralph L. Clark, deputy chief of CIA/OSI (Office of Scientific Intelligence) who had been a top official of the RDB (Research & Development Board of the Dept of Defense), the CIA/OPC plants this story with RDB official Dr. Eric Walker and RDB consultant Dr. Robert I. Sarbacher to be passed along to the visiting Canadian government engineer Wilbert B. Smith.  (Brad Sparks) 

Sept. 18, 1950; Poplar [Poplar Bluff?], Montana (BBU)
4 p.m. Air National Guard pilot James and another flying F-51's, CAA tower personnel and other ground witnesses saw a round object moving erratically at high speed then hover. (Project 1947; FUFOR Index)

Sept. 20 [19?], 1950; Kit Carson [10 miles S of Akron?], Colo. (BBU 807)
10:49 [10:45? MST] a.m. USAF B-25 crew with 3416th Training Sq saw brilliant white star like object accelerate and decelerate, emitting sparks. Source [?] saw 2 large, round, glowing objects and 3 smaller, internally lit objects; 2 hovered for 1 min, moved, and 3 smaller objects came from behind or within the 2 larger objects, and all sped upward and away. (Berliner; cf. Project 1947)

Sept. 21, 1950; Provincetown, Mass. (BBU 809)
9:53-9:55 a.m. (EST). MIT research associate and Air National Guard Maj. Myron Herbert Ligda and Joseph V. Connelly (plus another witness) tracked on SCR-615B radar an unidentified object heading N, during MIT Weather Radar Research Group tracking of USAF flight of 2 Otis AFB F-84 jet fighters which were heading 333° straight and level course at about 400 mph (IAS 250 knots) positioned at range 45 miles 105° azimuth initially, at 9:50 a.m. Object detected at 9:53 a.m. on a nearly intersecting straight line course heading about 358° [at about 500 mph?], F-84 pilots were warned by VHF-1 radio but could not see object due to poor visibility haze when ground radar showed object crossed about 3 miles [actually plotted about 1-1.5 miles ahead and blips “nearly merged”] in front of jets at 9:54:00 a.m. Object speed about 1,500 mph as it made a sharp right turn and loop of about 270° about 15 g's centripetal acceleration back to the W. (Jan Aldrich; Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 139-141; etc.) 2 mins

September 25, 1950
Major General Cabell,  Director of AFI, requested that AMC reinstate the investigation and analysis at ATIC. The FBI received from Cabell a copy of an intelligence collection memorandum entitled “Reporting of Information on Unconventional Aircraft.”  This was yet another request to provide sighting information with the added request that “no publicity be given this reporting or analysis activity.” Once again, in private the Air Force was contradicting its public stance that saucer sightings were not worthy of attention. In private the Air Force and the FBI found out that sightings which were about to occur at Oak Ridge were worthy of attention...a lot of attention. 

Sept 25, 1950 - JANAP 146(A)
Joint Army-Navy-Air Publication 146, CIRVIS Commuication Instructions for Reporting Vital Intelligence Sightings. Revised version of JANAP 146 (Oct. 1, 1948). Start of CIRVIS Reports for commercial and military pilots, added UFOs to list of sighting categories.

October 3, 1950; Pomona, Calif.
Disc-shaped UFO reported by scientist. [VI]

October 5, 1950; Between San Fernando & Van Nuys, California
Evening. The pilot of California Central Airlines reported that a mysterious flying object buzzed his aircraft between San Fernando and Van Nuys. Pilot Cecil Hardin said that an object with "eight bright lights", and apparently had no fuselage, was sighted at 4,500'. Hardin said it flashed beneath his plane" at terrific speed" as he pulled up to avoid it and was still visible after passing.  [AP article, NICAP UFO Evidence, V]

Oct. 12, 1950; Knoxville, Tenn. (BBU)
11:25 p.m. EST. A military radar unit at Knoxville Airport suddenly detected 11, “and possibly more,” unidentified targets moving over the restricted flight zone at Oak Ridge.  This time action was taken. At 11:30, the radar station commander scrambled an F-82 fighter.  It was in the air nine minutes later. The fighter was vectored toward two targets and, according to the radar, closed with the targets, but the pilot saw nothing. Ground observations also failed to detect anything in the sky. No unusual objects were seen visually or on radar for the next two days. Then the “dam broke.” On October 15, at 3:25 PM, three Oak Ridge security guards and a caretaker saw an exceedingly strange object. (McDonald list)

Oct. 12, 1950; Oak Ridge, TN
Late Thursday, a saucer-looking object was observed over the K-25 area near the NEPA Project area. The object was described as round, as big as a four room house, silver in color, and had a blister at the top of the saucer. The object also had windows. The object rose slowly for about 100 feet, moved forward, rose again about the same distance and then it was gone at a high rate of speed. (Source: BB files/The Knoxville Journal, October 26, 1950).

Oct. 13, 1950; Oak Ridge, TN
Sightings by AEC security patrols?
According to Blue Book Archive, Roll 90, Frames 635-636, radar tracks were noted at 0100 on the 13th but no visual sightings. (Barry Greenwood)

Oct. 15, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tenn. (819)
3:20 p.m. AESS Trooper Rymer, J. Moneymaker, and Capt. Zarzecki saw 2 shiny silver objects shaped like bullet or bladder dive with a smoke trail, one vanished, the other hovered at 5-6 ft altitude, 50 ft away, left and returned several times somewhat further away. (Berliner)

Oct. 15, 1950; Pope AFB, North Carolina (BBU 821)
4:20 p.m. Miami Airlines DC-4 pilot and copilot Daniel and Woodward saw 4 round shiny 100 ft objects descended slowly then took off in a line. The objects were pursued by the pilots for an estimated 3 minutes at an estimated 180 mph.  (Berliner; FUFOR Index)

Oct. 15, 1950; near Pope AFB, North Carolina
4:25 p.m. EST. An Air Force pilot was following the flight of a jet when an object, oblate and spheroid in shape, crossed the line of flight of the jet plane and continued its movement in a NW direction. Total length of observation, 10-12 seconds. Object appeared to be constructed of aluminum or like substance...speed unknown...altitude unknown ...trail none. Object followed perfectly straight line of flight. Pilot suggested that the object sighted was the same or one of the same objects sighted and reported by commercial airlines pilot of the Miami Air Lines. (Ridge/Gross)

Oct. 15, 1950; Oak Ridge AEC site, Tenn. (BBU)
(Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 142-3) RV

Oct. 16, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tennessee
3:20 (1520) EST. "While Special Agent William S. Price was present, a report came from the AEC Patrol to the radar station relating that a Trooper Isabell and four civilian employees at Oak Sidge had observed a "silver disc" hovering over the K-25 Plant in the controlled area. The radar screen was able to pick up an indistinct target about every three (3) or four (4) sweeps of the indicator. An F-82 fighter plane was sent to attempt an intercept of the object. The airborne radar of the fighter picked up a target which later proved to be a light aircraft. The ground observers reported that the F-82 passed under the "silver disc" while it was in pursuit of the light plane. The crew of the fighter observed nothing unusual. Nothing further was learned of the sightings." (NARA doc./Fran Ridge/Dan Wilson)

Oct. 20, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tenn.
4:55 p.m. Not listed in either BB Unknown list, but has aspects that may ultimately classify it as an unknown. Larry Riordan, the Superintendent of Security for the X-10 control zone became a witness. While driving to a residential area he saw an object which he thought at first was a balloon which had lost its “basket.” It was generally round, appeared to “come together at the bottom in wrinkles (rather indistinct and something was hanging below.” It appeared to be 8 to 10 feet long and lead or gunmetal colored. It didn’t seem to be moving but, since he was traveling and only saw it for a number of seconds, he couldn’t be sure. He was sure it wasn’t a weather balloon, although he thought it might have been a gas bag balloon launched by the nearby University of Tennessee Agricultural Research Farm. On the same day at 3:27 PM the radar unit at the Knoxville airport detected radar targets near the area of Mr. Riordan’s sighting and scrambled a fighter plane. The pilot searched the area for about an hour and a half, which included the time of Mr. Riordan’s sighting, and found nothing.

Oct. 23, 1950; Bonlee, North Carolina (BBU 824)
12:42 p.m. Ex-USAF pilot Frank Risher saw an aluminum object shaped like a dirigible or Convair C-99 cargo plane, with 3 portholes, arrive from SE, hover 3-5 secs and fly away to the SSE. (Berliner) 40 secs

October 23, 1951; Oak Ridge, Tennessee
4:30 PM, Francis Miller, an Oak Ridge laboratory employee, while driving along a road in Oak Ridge saw an object that appeared to be less than half a mile away and between 1,000 and 2,000 feet up.  It appeared as an "aluminum flash" that was traveling in a south-southeast direction.  He only saw it for a few seconds.  Subsequently it was discovered that a nuclear radiation detection station (a Geiger counter) in the vicinity of the sighting registered a burst of alpha and beta radiation.   The purpose of this station was to detect any leaks of radiation from the Oak Ridge Laboratory.  There was no leakage of radiation, however.  An expert from the Health and Research Division analyzed the readings from the Geiger counter and pronounced them unexplained.  This association between radiation detection and a UFO sighting was similar to that at Mt. Palomar mentioned in Chapter 13.   Whether the reading of the Geiger counter was actually a result of nuclear radiations or whether the presence of the UFO induced a transient electrical fault in the counter or whether there was some other explanation is not known.   This case does not appear in the Project Blue Book file.

Oct. 24, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tennessee
6:30 p.m. FBI documents show several visual sightings at Oak Ridge and a radar track at Knoxville.  An unidentified object appeared at 6:30 PM at an altitude of approximately 5,000 feet in the same general vicinity as the object observed by Fry (see FBI doc below).  The radar target disappeared at 7:20 p.m..  The complete radar report to the CIC investigator says that targets appeared at 6:23 p.m. moving over the restricted flight zone and at 6:26 a fighter was scrambled to the area of the targets but failed to see anything. (Fran Ridge)

The G-2, an Army Intelligence service, is interested in the matter of UFOs and gives some guidance to commanders reporting such phenomenon.

Nov. 5, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tenn. (BBU 829)
11:55 a.m. Fairchild Aircraft illustrator Don Patrick saw a translucent object, light grey with dark core, shaped like a pear or bean, flying with rapid, darting movements. (Berliner) 5-10 mins

7:15 p.m. USN pilot Lt. jg Robert Haven flying AD-4Q at 3,500 ft heading W saw a steady white 10-12 inch light to his right at about 4,000 ft 5 miles away heading SE, made a slight climbing turn to the left to get on the tail of the object but it responded by making a head on pass about 100-200 ft over the AD-4Q in a slight dive at high speed. Haven made a tight turn to pursue, noted no wash or slipstream from the object traveling at about 900 mph, which made 5-6 head on passes at the AD-4Q, climb rate >2,000 ft/min, chase abandoned at 11,500 ft., as object outmaneuvered aircraft. When jets arrived object reached about 25,000 ft and disappeared. (Hynek UFO Rpt pp. 68-70; NARCAP)

Nov. 10, 1950; South Ruislip, England
8:59 a.m. Not listed as an unknown in BB files, four radar contacts were made with an airborne unidentified object over England at altitudes of 1,000 feet or less to 30,000 feet or more and giving returns comparable to those of a B-29 aircraft, between 8:59 a.m. and 10:26 a.m. The speed of the object varied from 30 m.p.h. to 1000 m.p.h. statute. One contact at  9:46 a.m. lasting until 9:47 a.m. the object was lost due to accelerations and ascent in excess of capability of radar automatic tracking equipment. The object was observed through surface contact by AN/MPQ-2.. Observation was made from a radar van at Heston Airdrome (Dan Wilson; 51deg. 29' N -- 00 deg. 23' W).

Nov. 10, 1950; southern California
The U.S. Destroyer, Blue, searched the Pacific Ocean off southern California with radar, trying to track down a mysterious "unidentified object". A navy report said the Blue picked the "object" up on its radar screen and was maintaining the contact. The Blue, based at San Diego, had the object in the radar screen and was trying to close with it to identify it. Announcement of the search was made at Washington after San Diego authorities forwarded a report to the Navy Department there. (newsclipping)

Nov. 14, 1950; Key West, Florida (BBU)
Appoximately 8:00 p.m. local time, an unidentified object was picked up by ground radar at 15,000 feet at 30 miles north of NAS, Key West. The speed of the object was 480 mph on a heading of 180 degrees. The object made a turn to the right and faded from the scope. An F6F-5N picked up object on radar at 1 1/2 miles range but was unable to close for visual contact. At approximately 8:15 p.m. an unidentified object traveling at high speed was sighted by the pilot of a F6F-5N near NAS, Key West.  (Dan Wilson, McDonald list)

Nov. 15, 1950; Key West, Florida (BBU)
9:00 p.m. An unidentified object was picked up by ground radar within 3 miles of two F6F-5N aircraft on a GCI flight. One pilot made a visual contact with the object with a long silver fuselage, no lights. The unidentified object followed the F6F-5Ns being controlled by GCI. The return on the radar was twice the size of the F6F aircraft and the speed of the object was estimated as twice as fast as the F6F's cruising at 160 knots. [See also Nov. 14, same location] (Dan Wilson, McDonald list)

Nov. 20, 1950; South Ruislip, UK (BBU)
(McDonald list)

Nov. 23, 1950; Maxwell AFB, Alabama (BBU)
Thompson. (McDonald list; FUFOR Index)

Nov. 27, 1950; Huron, S.D.
CAA personnel saw hovering maneuvering UFO. [V]

Nov. 27, 1950; Evansville, WI.
Flying instructor reported six elliptical objects in loose echelon formation. [V]

Nov. 29-30, 1950; Knoxville, Tenn. (BBU)
1755 hours. Numerous unidentified paints appeared on the radar scope at the 662nd AW Radar Detachment at the McGhee Tyson Airport, Knoxville, Tennessee. These paints almost covered the "Restricted Area" at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.  A fighter aircraft was sent to the area but no visual contact was reported.  Most of the targets were visible on the radar scope for two to three hours.  At 1900 hours the graph record of a background (Geiger) counter in the "Restricted Area" indicated a pronounced rise in Alpha particles and a slight rise in Gamma rays at the same time. These readings were unaccounted for. The AEC advised that there were no known "Argon releases" during 29 or 30 November 1950. On November 30, 1950, at 1351 hours untill 1405 hours a single unidentified target appeared on the radar scopes ranging 12 to 21 miles west to northwest of the station. At 1630 hours, on November 30, 1950, numerous unaccountable paints appeared on the radar scopes. The "paints" were so numerous they could not be counted or plotted. These paints remained visible on the radar screens until approximately 2330 or 2400 hours. At least nine highly qualified persons witnessed these targets. (McDonald list, Dan Wilson)

Dec. 1950; Nr. Cheyenne, Wyo.
USAF officer saw aluminum-like oval UFO. [III]

Dec. 2, 1950; Nanyika [Nanyuki?], Kenya, Africa (BBU 845)
10:50 a.m. Mr. and Mrs. L. Scott saw a pearly, iridescent object with a flattened top, spin while hovering, making a sound like bees buzzing. Only data in files was from East African Standard newspaper. (Berliner)

Dec. 6, 1950; Westover AFB, Massachusetts (BB)
8:16 a.m. EST. A civilian at Westover AFB, observed an object half moon in shape, with a silvery outline traveling south at a speed greater than known aircraft. The object appeared to be at an altitude from 10,000 to 20,000 feet. The object was first sighted at an estimated 60 degree angle above the horizon. The object disappeared suddenly without apparent reason. The Westover Approach Control Radar was inoperative at time of reported sighting. The observer is a member of the Air National Guard and is an aircraft mechanic. (Dan Wilson, Bruce Maccabee)

Dec. 6, 1950; Radar-inspired national alert
10:30 a.m. For an hour the United States military was under a condition of national emergency during the morning of December 6, 1950. Two days later the FBI was informed that the Army's Counter Intelligence Corps had been placed on Immediate High Alert for any information related to flying saucers. (Ridge/Maccabee)

Dec. 6, 1950; Ft. Myers, Florida (BBU 848)
5 p.m. Former aircraft purchasing agent Harry Lamp and 4 boys, using 10x binoculars saw a 75 ft object, 3-4 ft thick, bubble on top, silver with a red rim having two white and two orange jets along it and a center that revolved when the object hovered. Object flew away at very high speed. (Berliner)

Dec. 11 [18?], 1950; 10 miles NW of Gulkana, Alaska. (BBU 849)
10:13 p.m. Crew of Northwest Air Lines flight 802 [and military ?] saw 2 white flashes, followed by a dark cloud which rose and split in 2. (Berliner)

Dec. 14, 1950; Knoxville, Tennessee
4:05 p.m. A group of targets blanketed the radar scopes in the area directly over the government Atomic Energy Commission projects at Oak Ridge. These objects could not be identified from the radar image and a perfect fighter interception met with negative results. (Fran Ridge)

Dec. 18, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tennessee (BBU)
Between 0820 and 0830 hours seven officials of the NEPA Division while traveling in two cars observed an unidentified flying object. At 0839 hours to 0845 hours a small "paint" appeared on the scopes of the 663rd AC&W Squadron AF radar station, Knoxville Airport, near the southeast corner of the Oak Ridge Controlled Area. The target was on a magnetic bearing of 190 degrees at a speed of 60 mph at an estimated altitude of 2500 feet. Fighter interception was attempted with negative results.
Calkins. (Blue Book files, McDonald list; FUFOR Index)

Dec. 20, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tenn. (BBU)
AN&C radar tracks UFO. Log of the 663rd AN &C Squadron, F-82 intercept.

Dec. 18, 1950; Oak  Ridge, Tennessee

Dec. 27, 1950; Lakehurst, New Jersey (BBU)
Folean. (McDonald list; FUFOR Index)

December 27, 1950; Bradford, Ill.
Trans-World Airways pilot watched light source perform violent and erratic maneuvers. [V]

Back to NICAP Home