Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 04:56:10 -0500
From: Francis Ridge <> 

The 1975 SAC Base Northern Tier Overflights
October 27 - November 18, 1975
Updated:  June 15, 2007

When Project Blue Book's closure was announced in Dec. of 1969* (with full knowledge of the March 1967 missile incident), the media and the public was told that  "No UFO reported, investigated, and evaluated by the Air Force has ever given any indication of threat to our national security. There has been no evidence submitted to or discovered by the Air Force that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' represent technological developments or principles beyond the range of present-day scientific knowledge. There has been no evidence indicating that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' are extraterrestrial vehicles." The incidents listed in the latter part of October and the first few weeks of November dramatically illustrate that at least two of these claims are false.

This 13-page report with 59 documents would not be possible without the help of Dan Wilson, Brad Sparks, Barry Greenwood and Larry Fawcett. My work on this compilation began many months ago because of a need for a very comprehensive listing of these important incidents. This report is part of the 30-page 1975 UFO Chronology but covers only the events during the northern tier overflights so that the importance of this intrusion would not be lost in the shuffle.

The official documents provided in this report list the cause of these incidents (in many cases) as "helicopters". It would soon be obvious, and surely now after 30-plus years, that these were DEFINITELY NOT any type of helicopter. The times listed in the documents are ZULU, so local time had to be calculated so we could use the listings in the proper chronological order. Many times this actually changed the DATE of the sighting. So what you see (if not in need of any future corrections) is what happened, and when.

Here, then, is the 1975 SAC Base Northern Tier Overflights, listed as they occurred, with the other incidents around the country and the world intact.

Francis Ridge
NICAP Site Coordinator

Oct - Dec 75 - Out in space over the Indian Ocean
U.S. satellites were illuminated or "blinded" over the Indian ocean. Source 10-1,000 times as strong as natural sources. 5 incidents. One 4 hrs. long.

Metropolitan D.C.Besieged With UFO Activity
Strange lights, unexplaonable maneuvers, and craft-like shapes are continuing to puzzle residents of the Washington, D.C. area. Reports began in October and have continued through December at the NICAP office, Many of the reports have similarities while others are an enity onto themselves. (The National Military Command Center [NMCC} is located in Washington, D.C.)

Oct. 3, 1975; Quincy, MA
On this night a large mass of white light, with smaller blue lights inside, hung stationary over Quincy. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 7).

Oct. 4, 1975; Ramsey, NJ
2:55 a.m. Two police officers, Francis J. Gross and C. Ragazzo were on routine patrol when officer Ragazzo received a radio call from Gross informing him of five "strange looking" lights in the south-west sky. Both officers were able to observe the objects for a period of five minutes. The lights were in a straight line formation and moving very slowly. They appeared to be solid and were reddish in color. The rear sections of the objects were blurred but the rest of the cigar shape was distinctly outlined. The officers watched the objects intently until they disappeared from sight. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR. December 1975, page 1)

Oct.16, 1975; Davis, CA
8:20 p.m. Seven witnesses including the main witness named Landeros sighted two UFOs maneuvering in the sky. The first object was triangular in shape with white and yellow lights. It went down and up rapidly, then back-and-forth. The second UFO was a domed disc; it came from same direction as the first and had red, green, and blue lights spinning on its rim. It hovered, tilted, and shot off toward the west. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 9).  

Oct. 18, 1975; 25 miles NW of Helena, MT
12:30 a.m.  John Struble was driving his truck when he noticed a large object, fifty feet in diameter and twenty-five to thirty feet in the air. The object passed over his truck from the rear and then stopped and hovered about one hundred yards ahead of him. As the object did this it directed a very bright light at him, causing the truck's lights and engine to go out. The UFO stayed there for about five minutes before moving away. The object made a noise like a big jet and then rocketed straight up into the sky and moved away to the east at an incredible speed. When the UFO disappeared the truck's lights and engine came back on. Struble notuced that his nonelectric watched had stopped for five minutes, the duration of the UFO's appearance.(Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 33)

Oct. 19, 1975; Hailey, ID
11:00 p.m. Two men walking just west of town noticed a red light approaching their position at high speed. It stopped over them, and was described as an almond shaped craft pointed at the ends. It then turned bluish in color and began to hover. The lights suddenly went out and the craft descended making a hissing sound. It landed among some bushes then a small light came on. At this point both men saw a figure moving within the light and ran back to town. (HC addition # 744, CUFOS Reports,Type: A)

Oct. 20, 1975;  Priest Butte, MT 
4:30 p.m. A couple living on a ranch near Priest Butte, Montana, reported that they had seen a UFO about half a mile from their home, on the east slope of Priest Butte. Using binoculars, they described it as being egg-shaped, with the large end of the craft on the ground. It had one yellowish-gold light which at first gave off a dull glow and then became brighter. It had two arm-like appendages which came out of the craft, one on each side. The arms made a continual motion similar to a breaststroke. The craft remained stationary for five minutes. Then the appendages retracted into the craft, and it went straight up and out of sight. (Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 34)

Oct. 25, 1975; Sao Gondolo do Amarante, Ceara state, Brazil
6:00 p.m. A young woman with the surname of Dira had bathed in a lagoon in Sao Gondolo do Amarante on the river and was washing clothes when she felt a heat wave and saw an oscillating blue light in the sky nearby. Frightened, she took cover in some undergrowth, but the light increased intensity. When the blue light approached even closer she ran home. She managed to escape inside her house, but she had a high body temp, bloodshot eyes, and her skin looked like it had a sunburn. (Source: Claude Bourtembourg, SOBEPS News, March 1976, p. 18; Charles Bowen, Saga UFO Report, December 1976, p. 80; both sources cite J. Gualberto.)

Oct. 25, 1975; Sao Gondolo do Amarante, Ceara state, Brazil
Bt. 6:00 & 7:00 p.m. A local man was struck by a blue beam of light, reputedly from a disc. He subsequently died. Several other witnesses reported being attacked and terrified by the experience. Some reported being paralyzed by a blue light. (Source:  Charles Bowen, FSR, July 1976, p. 33 and Saga UFO Report, citing La Razon, October 27, 1975).

Oct. 27, 1975; Oxford, ME
David Stephens was one of the principals of this famous abduction case. It's one of the most interesting such incidents, not only for the abduction itself but for its curious aftermath. Investigator Brent M. Raynes wrote about it in 'The Twilight Side of a UFO Encounter', FSR 22,2 (July 1976), with follow-up comment by Berthold E. Schwarz in the same issue. The case is also discussed in Thomas E. Bullard's UFO Abductions: The Measure of a Mystery and in my The UFO Encyclopedia, 2nd Ed., pp. 685-90. (Jerry Clark)

Late Oct. 1975; Cheyenne Mountain, CO
In late October, something happened near Cheyenne Mountain, the home of the National Combat Operations Center, something that triggered a Security Option 5 Alert. According to an informant, nobody was allowed to enter the base, except cleared, high-ranking officers or cleared security patrols. No one was to leave. Those personnel on base who had just completed duty were rolled out of bed. Jet interceptors were scrambled into the air. In fact, everything they put in the air during an attack on the U.S. was airborne. (UFO Filter Center/Ridge Files). But there was more going on in other places....

Target: Loring AFB, ME
Although it is no longer an active Air Force Base today, in 1975 Loring AFB was a Strategic Air Command Base and a storage site for nuclear weapons. The nukes were stored in a fenced weapons dump consisting of small huts covered with dirt for camouflage from the air. It was patrolled day and night by the 42nd Security Police Squadron.

Intrusions at Loring (AFB) - (CLEAR INTENT, 16-26; Barry Greenwood and Larry Fawcett)

Oct. 27, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
7:45 p.m. Staff Sgt. Danny K. Lewis was patrolling the weapons dump when he saw an unidentified aircraft nearing  the north perimeter of Loring at a low altitude of about 300 feet. Lewis  noticed what appeared to be a red navigation light and a white strobe light on the aircraft. As Lewis watched, the craft entered the perimeter of  Loring. Meanwhile, in the control tower of the air base, Staff Sgt. James P. Sampley of the 2192nd Communications Squadron was on duty at the radar screen. He got a radar return from an unknown aircraft ten to thirteen miles east-northeast of Loring. Sampley made numerous attempts by radio on all available communications bands, civilian and military, to contact the craft, but he got no response. The unidentified craft began to circle, and came to within 300 yards of the restricted nuclear storage area  at a low altitude of 150 feet. Back at the nuclear weapons dump, Lewis notified his Command Post of the of the 42 Bomb Wing that an unknown aircraft had penetrated the base perimeter and was within 300 yards of the nuclear weapons area. The base was immediately put on major alert status, a a Security Option 3, and Security contacted the tower.

Oct. 27, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
8:45 p.m. Sgt. Grover K. Eggleston of the 2192nd Communications Squadron was on duty at the tower when the call from the Command Post came. He began observing the unknown aircraft. Six minutes later, while watching the radar screen, Eggleston noted that the unknown craft appeared to be circling approximately ten miles east-northeast of the base. This action lasted for forty minutes when, suddenly, it disappeared from the screen. Either the object had landed, or it had dropped below the radar coverage. The Wing Commander arrived at the weapons storage area seven minutes after the initial sighting was made. Immediately, other units of the 42nd Police began pouring into the area. Security vehicles with blue flashing lights were converging from all over the base. Through the Loring Command Post, the Wing Commander requested fighter coverage from the 21st NORAD Region at Hancock Field, New York, and the 22nd NORAD Region at North Bay, Ontario, Canada. However, fighter support was denied by both regions. The Wing Commander then increased local security posture and requested assistance from the Maine State Police in trying to identify the unknown craft, which they presumed was a helicopter. A call was made to local flight services for possible identification, without results. The 42nd Security Police conducted a sweep of the weapons storage perimeter inside and out. An additional sweep was made of the areas that the craft had flown over. All actions produced no results. The craft broke the circling pattern and began flying toward Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada. Radar contact was lost in the vicinity of Grand Falls bearing 065 degrees, twelve miles from Loring. Canadian authorities were not notified.

No further unusual events occurred throughout that night. Priority messages were sent to the National Military Command Center in Washington, D.C., the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force, the USAF Forward Operations Division at Fort Ritchie, Maryland, and Strategic Air Command headquarters at the 8th Air Force and the 45th Division informing them of what had taken place. The base remained on a high state of alert for the rest of the night and into the early morning hours of October 28.

Oct. 28, 1975; Belgrade, Yugoslavia
DC-9 pilot followed by UFOs, E-M, radar

Oct. 28, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
12:15 a.m. EST. One cup and saucer hat shaped object, very bright, low about 500 feet, was observed over the slag pit Murray Mine, Sudbury. The object hovered over the slag pit for a minute then departed at extremely high speed. The object then returned for another minute and left. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Oct. 28, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
7:45 - 8:20 p.m. While patrolling the weapons storage area, Staff Sgt. Lewis, along with Sgt. Clifton W. Blakeslee and Sgt. William J. Long, again spotted the lights of an unidentified aircraft approaching Loring AFB from the north at an altitude of about 3,000 feet. It approached to within about three miles of the base perimeter and was noted to have a flashing white light and an amber or orange light. Lewis reported the sighting to his Command Post, and the Wing Commander came out to the weapons storage area to see for himself. He reported seeing an object with a flashing white light and an amber light whose speed and motion were similar to that of a helicopter. The craft was also observed on radar. The craft was then observed over the flight line by Sgt, Steven Eichner, Sgt. R. Jones, and others. They saw an orange and red object shaped like a stretched-out football hovering in mid-air. It turned out its lights, and then reappeared making jerky motions, then hovering about 150 feet over the end of the runway. It was described as about four car-lengths long, solid, reddish-orange, with no doors or windows, and with no visible propellers or engines. It was totally silent. The base went on full alert and a sweep was made by security, but the object turned off its lights and was not seen again. Radar picked up a target moving in the direction of Grand Falls, New Brunswick. SAC Headquarters was again notified.

Oct. 29, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
1:00 a.m. EST. Actual transcript: One unidentified helicopter was sighted 300 to 500 meters from the weapons storage area at Loring AFB, Maine. The helicopter was at an altitude of 150 feet and penetrated Loring AFB. An attempt to contact and identify the intruding "helicopter" was made by an Army National Guard helo, and was unsuccessful. At 290300 EST the helicopter was sighted over the weapons storage area and the Army National Guard helicopter again responded to make contact but was unsuccessful.  The USAF (Ops Div) has requested that the Army NG helo be provided until 300800 EST under the following conditions: To track and identify the intruder; no apprehension to take place; the Canadian Border would not be crossed; and civilian police on board will be for commo with ground units only. The request is under consideration by MG Snifin, DA Director of Operations, DCSOPS. Col Bailey, Mil Aide to Special Asst to SECDIF/DEPSECDEF has been advised of the situation show DoD approval be required.  The State Department Canadian Desk Officer has been kept informed. (SOURCE:  42 BW CP LORING AFB 291140Z OCT 75; SAC CP OPS CONTROL 291954Z OCT 75. (Actual document below. See page 1 & 2)

Oct. 30, 1975; Ford Creek at Augusta, MT
12:00 a.m. Football shaped UFO. (NIDS UFO 42)

Oct. 30, 1975, Loring AFB, ME
The Maine National Guard Huey was replaced by an Air Force helicopter and crew from Plattsburgh AFB. That evening, objects were reported at several locations over and near the base, and were detected by radar.

October 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB Intrusions
At the same time that plans were being prepared at Loring for the return of the intruder, things started to break open at Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Michigan, another of the northern tier bases that were put on a security option three alert. Wurtsmith is a Strategic Air Command base located three miles northwest of Oscoda, Michigan. It serves as the home base for the 40th Air Division and the 379th Bomb Wing.

To summarize briefly, radar picked up the craft over the weapons storage area and followed it to the southeast, where the task of identification was handed over to the KC-135 commander. The KC-135 crew picked it up visually and on radar. Taylor, in his statement to Cahill, never once called the craft a helicopter, but called it "a UFO" and an "object." He said that their speed was about 200 knots, and in each attempt to close with the object, "it would speed away from us." Taylor added that when they were heading back to Wurtsmith, "we turned back in the direction of the UFO, and it really took off... doing approximately 1,000 knots." One thousand knots! Certainly no helicopter ever built could do such a thing!

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB, MI
10:10 p.m. Personnel in the vicinity of the family housing area located in the southeastern portion of Wurtsmith reported seeing what appeared to be running lights of a low-flying craft which was thought to be a helicopter. The craft hovered and moved up and down in an erratic manner. Airman Martin E. Tackabury, assigned to the Capehart housing area gate, said that he saw the object for about five seconds near the perimeter of Wurtsmith, due south of his location. Tackabury reported that the object had one white light pointing directly downward and two red lights near the rear. The object seemed to be heading in a west-southwest direction. Tackabury could not hear any sound coming from the aerial craft because a B-52 was in the air nearby to the north. Near the main gate at Wurtsmith, Airman Michael J. Myers, assigned to Police Unit Seven, was on duty at the Wurtsmith motor pool. As Myers looked toward the west, he could see several lights near the western edge of the base. The lights turned north and appeared to lose altitude. He did not hear any sound. Sergeant Robert J. Anderson, also at the motor pool, reported that he observed an airborne KC-135 tanker and another craft with a steady red light. The craft appeared to be flying slower, ahead and below the KC-135. Anderson believed he heard a sound similar to a helicopter. After thirty to thirty-five seconds, the object passed out of view. Airman Roger Skipper, at the Wurtsmith main gate, said that when he responded to the activity at the motor pool, he heard sounds that diminished quickly. (Clear Intent)

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB, MI
At 10:14, 10:20, and 10:25 p.m., at the back gate of Wurtsmith, security police reported to the command post that an unidentified helicopter with no lights came up over the back gate and hovered over the weapons storage area at a low altitude. Security police of the 379th security police squadron in the weapons storage area could not make out the type of craft. The craft started to move towards the northern perimeter where its lights were again turned on. Sergeant James A. Miller of the Wurtsmith security police reported his observations of the unknown craft while on duty in the weapons storage area. He stated that he heard the sound of a possible helicopter coming from an area off the base toward the north. He thought he had heard the sound of a flying helicopter fifteen minutes earlier, but he didn't report it. As he listened, the noise became drowned out by a military jet, and when the jet passed out of range, the original noise had stopped. No other similar sounds were heard. Security police at the weapon storage area notified Colonel John J. Doran, Vice Commander, 379th Bomb Wing, that the guard posted at the back gate had reported what he thought was a helicopter overhead. The command post notified Col. Boardman (wing commander) and Col. Doran, and they proceeded to the flight line. It was at this time that Radar Approach Control (RAPCON) reported low-flying objects on their radar scope. They tracked the craft for approximately thirty-five miles on a southeastern bearing from Wurtsmith.

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith, MI
10:30 - 11:00 p.m. A KC-135 tanker was returning from a refueling mission. It entered Wurtsmith's traffic pattern and received permission to fly transition approaches. Col. Boardman ordered the KC-135 to attempt to identify the object. Wurtsmith air traffic control vectored the tanker in the object's direction. Aboard the KC-135 was Major Frederick Pappas, the plane's commander; Captain K. E. May, co-pilot; Captain Rick Meier, the navigator; Captain Myron Taylor, instructor navigator; Captain Randy Higginbotham, instructor pilot; and Sergeant Steve Smith. Captain Taylor: "We were returning from a refueling mission and during our first approach into the traffic pattern, RAPCON vectored us to check out a reported UFO in the area of the Wurtsmith Weapons Storage Area. As I recall, this activity occurred between 10:30 and 11:00 in the evening around the 1st  of November (later established as Oct. 30). I remember seeing lights similar to strobe lights which were flashing irregularly. We followed the lights north out over Lake Huron and then the UFO swung south still over the lake toward the Saginaw Bay area of Michigan. At first it was difficult to determine whether there were two different objects because of the irregular flashing of the lights. But, after observing the lights we determined that there were in fact two objects and the irregular flashing appeared to be some sort of signal being passed from one to the other in an effort to maintain the same position. We were able to maintain visual contact most of the time and I was only able to paint an object on the radar scope for about 10 seconds. I would estimate that our altitude was about 2,000 feet and our speed approximately 200 knots. Shortly after turning south in pursuit of the UFO, we called Approach Control and received blanket clearance to follow the UFO at all altitudes and at all vectors. Occasionally, RAPCON would pick-up the UFO and help us by giving us vectors to the UFO's position. I would guess that we stayed close to the UFO most of the time, approximately one mile away, and each time we attempted to close on the object it would speed away from us. We followed the UFO down to Saginaw Bay and started across the Bay when we lost it because of all the fishing boat lights. At first we thought it had landed on one of the large oil tankers but later decided that we had been wrong. We continued to search the Bay area but didn't see it so we changed our heading for Wurtsmith. On the way back, we picked the UFO up again at our eight o'clock position. We turned away, and it proceeded to follow us. Finally, we turned back in the direction of the UFO and it really took off back in the direction of the Bay area. I know this might sound crazy, but I would estimate that the UFO sped away from us doing approximately 1,000 knots. We continued in the direction of the Bay until RAPCON called us again and said they were painting a UFO four to five miles over the coast traveling in a westerly direction. They vectored us to the position of the UFO and we proceeded but at that point we were low on fuel and were forced to return to Wurtsmith. I remember that while on final approach we saw the lights again near the Weapons Storage Area. Following the mission we discussed the incident and about a week later, Captain Higginbotham was questioned by the OSI and cautioned not to discuss the incident."

Oct. 30, 1975; Plattsburg AFB, NY
Cabill's "Memo for the Record" alludes to the other incidents at Loring AND Plattsburgh AFB, New York, during the same period of time. At this point, the question about the Plattsburg AFB incidents remain unanswered.
SAC Command Post notified the NMCC of reported low flying aircraft/helicopter sightings at Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan at 30234 EST. (See OPREP-3s in link above)

Oct. 31, 1975; 4 miles NW of Loring AFB, ME
At 11:17 p.m. EST, a visual sighting of an unidentified object was reported 4 nautical miles NW of Loring AFB, Me. The alert helo was launched to identify the object but was unable to make contact. The alert helo was launched again at 0146 hours EST, November 1, 1975, in response to a slow moving target picked up by RAPCON (Radar Approach Control). (See NMCC Assortment #1 Frames 16-17 of 40)

Nov. 1, 1975; Monarch, MT
Time not given. UFO hovered 75' away, one foot off ground. (NIDS UFO 92)

November 3, 1975, Received call from AAC/IN (Alaskan Air Command/Intelligence). They had sent message 012224, Subject: Unidentified Foreign Object to INYSA and wanted to know if INYSA had received it. They wanted guidance from INYSA.

Nov. 4, 1975; Ross, OH
Cylinder hovering at treetop level, windows, body lights visible. Skylook, MUFON, January 1976, p. 6 (E,L) car

Nov. 4, 1975; near Lussault-sur-Loire, France
At 6:50 p.m. a red disc-shaped object flanked by two nocturnal lights stopped in place, then descended slowly into some woods near Lussault-sur-Loire, France. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, February 1977).

Nov. 5, 1975; North of Redwater, Alberta, Canada
At 12:30 a.m. MST, Mr. Jim Divall while driving his vehicle 11 miles north of the town of Redwater saw a large black round rotating object and he had to drive into the ditch to avoid hitting the object. The object was approximately 40 feet long and in the shape of a circle. When Divall got out of his vehicle he heard a rushing sound and saw the object disappear. Duration of the sighting was approximately 3 minutes. RCMP REPORT (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/150)

Nov. 5, 1975; Nr. Raynesford, MT
4:10 a.m. At least six UFOs near ground. (NIDS UFO 14)

Nov. 5, 1975; 10 miles south of Bowden, Alberta, Canada
9:50 p.m. (Approximate) Mr. Wayne Morrow, observed an unidentified object flying 10 miles south of Bowden, Alberta. Mr. Morrow was proceeding northbound on NBR 2 Highway at the time of the sighting. The object was described as bullet shaped with a constant amount of orange colored flame at the rear of the object. The object was approximately 50 feet above the ground traveling in a southerly direction at 100 mph. The object was sighted for approximately 5 to 10 seconds. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/149)

An interesting aspect to the famous overflights and NORAD incidents is the close proximity, both in time and location, of two famous abduction cases:  Travis Walton & David Stephens. See next case entry.

Nov. 5, 1975; Snowflake (Heber), AZ
Travis Walton abduction case. One of the more persistently controversial UFO events in history took place in northeastern Arizona. A work team consisting of seven individuals reported encountering a reflective, luminous object the shape of a flattened disc hovering close to their truck on a remote dirt road in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest. According to the crew, one of their members, Travis Walton, exited the truck and approached the object on foot, at which time he was allegedly struck by a brilliant bluish light or flash and hurled to the ground some distance away. In fear, the other crew members fled the scene, returning after a short period of time to find no trace of the UFO, or of Walton. The driver of the truck was Mike Rogers, the crew foreman and a personal friend of Walton's. While fleeing the scene, Rogers reported looking back and seeing a luminous object lift out of the forest and speed rapidly toward the horizon. He, along with the other five witnesses, would eventually be subjected to polygraph (lie detection) examinations regarding the event, the successful outcomes of which catapulted the case into the national spotlight. Walton turned up five days later, confused and distraught but with fleeting memories of alien and exotic human entities. He was also subsequently subjected to a number of controversial polygraph examinations (Image caption: Travis Walton). (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section XIII).

Nov. 6, 1975; Merxheim, France
10:00 p.m. A domed disc landed on three legs. The dome on the craft opened, and the head and shoulders of an occupant was seen partially emerging from it. The dome closed and the UFO rose up into the air, then took off toward the east-southeast (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case #11518).

Nov. 6-7, 1975; Lewiston, MT
Captain Roscoe E. Moulthrop advised the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) that during the evening hours of November 6 and 7, two adjacent Launch Control Facilities approximately fifty miles south of Lewiston reported moving lights as UFOs. (Source: unknown)

Late October, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
Staff Sgt. Joseph M. Chassey, former Minuteman ICBM maintenance technician, 341st Missile Maintenance Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana: Chassey states that one night in the fall of 1975, he overhead a two-way radio transmission alerting Air Force Security Police about an unknown craft hovering over the bases Weapons Storage Area. Chassey said that the incident was widely discussed at the missile mechanical shop the following day. He later heard additional details about it from a friend, who was a helicopter re-fueler. Apparently, two base helicopters had been scrambled to chase the intruder, which rapidly flew toward Belt, Montana, some ten miles distant. As the pursuing choppers neared the town, the unidentified craft quickly doubled-back to Malmstromleaving them far behindand again hovered over the WSA for a short period of time before finally departing. Chassey states that the object was described as an extremely bright light and was assumed to have been a bona fide UFO because of its superior capabilities. He emphasized, It flat outran the helicopters. We heard that it zipped out to Belt and back to the base in no time. Chassey, who separated from the Air Force at the end of October, 1975, believes that the incident occurred shortly before he left Malmstrom. (Robert Hastings files).
Nov. 7, 1975; Lewiston, MT
Remote electronic sensors triggered an alarm indicating that something was violating site security. Underground, in the launch control area, two officers noted the signal, but there was no television surveillance topside. The normal procedure for detecting what had violated security was to call for a missile security helicopter to check the area. At the same time, Sabotage Alert Teams (SAT), consisting of four to six men, were also alerted to the fact that a violation was taking place and were ordered to proceed to the site. On this occasion, an SAT team drove down the highway and onto a dirt road which led to the K-7 area. About a mile away, the team could see an orange, glowing object over the area. As they closed to within half a mile, they could now see that the object was tremendous in size. They radioed to the Launch Control Facility that, from their location, they were viewing a brightly glowing, orange, football field-sized disc that illuminated the missile site. The SAT team was ordered by the launch control people to proceed into the K-7 site. However, they responded that they refused to go any farther, clearly fearful of the intimidating appearance of the object. It began to rise, and at about 1,000 feet, NORAD picked up the UFO on radar. Two F-106 jet interceptors were launched from Great Falls, Montana, and headed toward the K-7 area. The UFO continued to rise. At about 200,000 feet, it disappeared from NORAD's radar. The F-106's were never able to get a visual sighting of the UFO. All members of the SAT team were directed to the base hospital, where they were psychologically tested. It was determined that no one could identify the object that was seen, but that the members of the SAT team obviously had been through a traumatic experience. Meanwhile, targeting teams, along with computer specialists, were brought to the missile site to check out the missile, and specifically, the computer in the warhead that targets the missile. Amazingly, when the computer was checked, they found that the tape had mysteriously changed target numbers! The re-entry vehicle was then taken from the silo and brought back to the base. Eventually the entire missile was changed.  (Clear Intemt, 27)

Note: The source and documentation for the report above, including the actual times, is being sought. As Brad Sparks pointed out recently, the big problem here is that the NORAD radar couldn't track a target up to "200,000 feet."  The Malmstrom AFB height-finder FPS-90 radar in operation in 1975 couldn't height-find anything above the maximum 75,000 ft shown on the display.

The following is taken directly from the 24th NORAD Region Senior Director's log: Zulu times are given but converted to local Mountain Standard Time.

Nov. 7, 1975; Moore, nr. Malmstrom AFB, MT
3:35 a.m. MST.  (Nov. 7, 1035Z) "Received a call from the 341st Strategic Air Command Post (SAC CP) saying that the following missile locations reported seeing a large red to orange to yellow object: M-1, L-3, LIMA, and L-6. The general object location would be 10 miles south of Moore, Montana, and 20 miles east of Buffalo, Montana. Commander Deputer [sic] for Operations (DO) informed." (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; W. of Great Falls, MT
3:38 a.m. Whitish gray UFO with blue lights. (NIDS UFO 15)

Nov. 7, 1975; Harlow, nr Malmstrom AFB, MT
5:03 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1203Z) SAC advised that the LCF at Harlow, Montana, observed an object which emitted a light which illuminated the site driveway. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:19 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1319Z) SAC advised K-1 saw a very bright object to their east is now southeast of them and they are looking at it with 10 x 50 binoculars. Object seems to have lights (several) on it, but no distinct pattern. The orange/gold object overhead also has small lights on it. SAC also advises female civilian reports having seen an object bearing south from her position 6 miles west of Lewiston. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:27 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1327Z) L-1 reports that the object to their northeast seems to be issuing a black object from it, tubular in shape. In all this time, surveillance has not been able to detect any sort of track except for known traffic. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:55 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1355Z) K-1 and L-1 report that as the sun rises, so do the objects they have visual. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
7:29 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1429Z) From SAC CP: As the sun rose, the UFOs disappeared. Commander and DO notified. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
11:35 p.m. (0635Z, 8 NOV 75). 2335 MST. A security camper team at K-4 reported UFO with white lights, one red light 50 yards behind white light. Personnel at K-1 seeing same object. (Source unknown)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
11:45 p.m. (0645Z, 8 NOV 75). MST. Height personnel picked up objects 10 - 13,000 feet, Track J330, EKLB 0648, 18 knots, 9,500 feet. Objects as many as seven, as few as two A/C. (Source unknown)

Nov. 7, 1975; Lewiston missile site, MT
4:05 a.m. MST. From SAC CP: E-1 reported a bright white light (site is approximately 60 nautical miles north of Lewiston). NCOC notified..

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
Time not given. Then, yet another sighting was reported. An off-duty missile launch officer and his deputy had just retired for crew rest in the Soft Support Building (SSB). The deputy went to the window and observed the silhouette of a large aircraft hovering about ten to fifteen feet above the ground and about twenty-five feet outside the Launch Control Facility. He described two red and white lights at the front of the aircraft, a white light on the bottom, and white light on the rear. The craft hovered motionless in this position for about one minute and then departed. The missile launch officer did not personally observe the aircraft, but from its sound, he speculated that it was a helicopter. The deputy also felt that the sounds he heard were those of a helicopter. The deputy's observations were limited by the darkness of the night, which prevented any good description of the craft or its shape.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
At 12:53 a.m. MST. (0253 EST) Malmstrom AFB, Montana received seven radar cuts on the height-finder radar at altitudes between 9,500 and 15,500 feet. Simultaneous ground witnesses observed lights in the sky and the sound of jet engines similar to jet fighters. Cross-tell with FAA revealed no jet aircraft within 100 NM of the sighting. Radar tracked the objects over Lewiston, Montana, at a speed of 7 knots. Two F-106 interceptors from the 24th NORAD Region were scrambled at 0254 EST, and became airborne at 0257 EST. At the time of the initial voice report, personnel at Malmstrom AFB and SAC sites K-1, K-3, L-3, and L-6 were reporting lights in the sky accompanied by jet engine noise. (CLEAR INTENT, 30; NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
1:44 a.m. MST. (0344 EST) Objects could not be intercepted. Fighters had to maintain a minimum of 12,000 feet because of mountainous terrain. Sightings had turned west, increased speed to 150 knots. Two tracks were apparent on height-finder radars 10-12 NM apart. SAC site K-3 reported sightings between 300 feet and 1,000 feet, while site L-4 reported sightings 5 NM from the position. Sightings disappeared from radar at position 4650 N/10920 W at a tracked speed of three (3) knots. (CLEAR INTENT, 31; NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975 
2:40 a.m. MST (0440 EST)  NMCC initiated contact with the NORAD Command Director who reported the following:

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:05 a.m. MST (0405 EST). "At 4:05 EST, SAC Site L-5 observed one object accelerate, and climb rapidly to a point in altitude where it became indistinguishable from the stars. NORAD will carry this incident as a FADE remaining UNKNOWN at 3:20 EST since after that time only visual sightings occurred." (Note: There is an Air Force term used to describe an incident in which a nuclear device is tampered with. This term is "Faded Giant," a phrase which very appropriately describes the K-7 report. [Clear Intent, 28; (NMCC Docs751108.pdf)]) 

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
At 2:05 MST (0405 EST). Malmstrom receiving intermittent tracks on both search and height-finder radars. SAC site C-1, 10NM SE of Stanford, Montana, reported visual sightings of unknown objects.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:20 MST (0420 EST) Personnel at 4 SAC sites reported observing intercepting F-106s arrive in area; sighted objects turned off their lights upon arrival of interceptors, and back on upon their departure.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:40 MST (0440 EST) SAC site C-1 still had a visual sighting on objects.

At 6:00 a.m. EST, the National Military Command Center in Washington, D.C., distributed a "Memorandum for the Record." The subject was "Unidentified Sightings." This memo addressed the incidents above.(NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
8:35 p.m. SAT teams at sites K-3 and L-4 were reporting that they had visual sightings on the objects, with K-3 reporting targets at an altitude of 300 feet. As the F-106s arrived at the location, SAT teams reported that the UFOs turned their lights off. The F-106s, in searching for the unknowns, never gained a visual or radar contact at any time because of the low altitude of the UFOs. However, when they left the area, the UFOs would turn their lights back on! At 9:15 P.M., four different locations were reporting that they had the UFOs and fighters in sight. The UFOs seemed to be playing a cat-and-mouse game.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
9:53 p.m. The team at L-5 reported to the Command Post that the unknowns had increased in speed, climbed rapidly, and, at that point, could not be distinguished from the stars. A while later, the team at site E-l reported at 11:05 P.M. that a bright white light was seen approximately sixty nautical miles north of Lewiston.

Nov. 9, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
3:05 a.m. SAC crews at sites L-l, L-6, and M-l observed a UFO. They described it as being a yellowish, bright, round light twenty miles north of Harlowton at an altitude of 2,000 to 4,000 feet. At 3:20 a.m., the SAC Command Post reported the UFO twenty miles southeast of Lewiston. The color of the object was reported as orange-white, and its appearance was round or disc-shaped. (CLEAR INTENT, 31)

The only response that the Air Force would give to public inquiries was: "All documentation at Malmstrom AFB has been destroyed in accordance with Air Force directives for the dates of the UFO sightings mentioned . . ."  Since when are all records of a serious incident or series of incidents of this magnitude destroyed? We must conclude that either there is gross incompetence in the military's handling of such situations, or that the UFOs, in these instances, presented so considerable a threat to the national security of the United States that the Air Force felt compelled to deliberately misinform the public, and, as a result, violated the Freedom of Information Act by stating that existing records had been destroyed. (CLEAR INTENT, 31)

Nov. 10, 1975; Minot AFB, ND
A long entry from the 24th NORAD Region Senior Director's Log said: "UFO sighting reported by Minot Air Force Station, a bright star-like object in the west, moving east, about the size of a car. First seen approximately 1015. Approximately 1120, the object passed over the radar station, 1000-2000 feet high, no noise heard. Three people from the site on local area saw the object. National Command Operations Center notified."

Nov. 11, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
3:00 a.m. EST. Six nurses at the Pioneer Manor Sudbury, observed a very bright object over the Sudbury Stadium. The object seemed to hover at first and then suddenly shot into the sky. It was still visible when the Sudbury Regional Police arrived at 4:55 a.m. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
5:00 a.m. EST. Constables Keables and Whiteside, Sudbury Regional Police, observed a cylindrical-shaped object with shafts of light bright enough to light up clouds in immediate area. The object appeared to travel in circles and at one point came quite close. Observations were made with the use of binoculars. (National Research Council of Canada, Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
4:55 a.m. EST. Sudbury Regional Police constables came on a follow up call by six nurses at the Pioneer Manor to check on a reported UFO. The constables observed four objects clearly in the sky. Three of the objects remained stationary while a fourth moved at times with a jerky motion. The objects were still plainly visible after day break when all regular bright objects in the sky had disappeared. The objects were observed intermittently for one hour. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; CFS Falconbridge, Ontario, Canada
6:15 a.m. EST. A spherical shaped object was observed from Canadian Force Station (CFS) Falconbridge. The object appeared to be rotating and had a surface similar to the moon. The object was ascending and descending. The object was observed on height finder radar at altitudes from 42,000 feet to 72,000 feet. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov.11, 1975; Beltsville, MD
Lawrence Albert sighted a solid, spherical, evenly distributed green light. The object was much brighter than the sky background and was sharply outlined. The witness stated the apparent size of the object was that of a quarter held at arm's length. The speed of the object was twice that of a jet plane. His first impression was that perhaps he was observing a falling star. Albert stated that because it moved so slowly and because it was perfectly round with no trail, he realized it could not be a star. Albert estimated the object's distance at a mile and one half high. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, January 1976, page 1)

Nov. 11, 1975; Freeze Out Lake, MT
A Montana Fish and Game Department employee saw a light flying directly behind a B-52 bomber. Using his rifle scope to get a better look, he noted that the strange object seemed to be pacing the aircraft. The object then briefly attached itself to the B-52, detached itself, and climbed out of sight. The sighting was reported to to Sheriff Pete Howard of Choteau County. Howard conducted follow-up interviews with military personnel and learned that as the object attached itself to the B-52, the plane's radar equipment went out. (Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 35)

More entries appeared in the NORAD regional Senior Director's Log.

Nov. 11, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
7:05 a.m. EST. (1205z) "Received unusual sighting report from Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada. Info passed to NORAD Command Director, Intelligence and Weather."

Nov. 11, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
1:40 p.m. (1840z) "Actions pertaining to scramble of JL08 and 09 due to unusual object sighting. With Director of Operations approval. Scrambled JL08/09 at 1745z (12:45 p.m. EST) airborne at 1750z (12:50 p.m. EST). NORAD Combat Operations Center notified of Falconbridge AFS incidenta. Aircraft over Falconbridge flying over incidenr, point no sighting, 1831 aircraft still in area, no radar aircraft or visual contact. Falconbridge AFS still reporting object at 26,000 ft."

Nov. 15, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
3:02 a.m. EST (event time). Message: "0533z (12:33 a.m. EST)...UFO report from Falconbridge, occurrence time 0202z. Report sent to NCOC Surveillance, referred to Assistant Command Director Space Defense Center, and Intelligence. These three individuals considered the report a UFO report and not an unknown track report."

On November 13, 1975, NORAD issued a press release to the media in Sudbury, Ontario. It stated:

Nov. 12, 1975;  Falconbridge AFB, Ontario, Canada
"At 4:05 a.m. Nov. 11, the Canadian Forces radar site at Falconbridge, Ontario, reported a radar track of an unidentified object about 25-30 nautical miles south of the site, ranging in altitude from 25,000 to 72,000 feet. Persons at the site also saw the object and said it appeared as a bright star but much closer. Two F-106 aircraft of the US Air Force Air National Guard's 171st Fighter Interceptor squadron at Selfridge ANGB, Michigan, were scrambled; but the pilots reported no contact with the object." The release was approved by NORAD's commander in charge.

On February 21, 1976, UFO researcher Robert Todd filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act for NORAD Command Director's logs. The logs were released to Todd on March 26, 1976, and confirmed that Canada was also having problems with UFOs. Taken from the logs are incidents related to UFO activity in the area of the Falconbridge Air Force Station, a radar site near North Bay, Ontario, Canada (times listed are Greenwich Zulu, 5 hours ahead of EST).

Nov. 12, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
7:15 a.m. 23rd NORAD Region. UFO Reported from Radar site at Falconbridge Ontario, Canada (Sudbury). Reported by Mr. Julian Prince of Sudbury thru Ontario Provincial Police (also observed by 2 OPP constables ZADOW & BRETT) 2 objects seen appeared to be artificial light fading on and off with jerky motion. Broken cloud layer with no estimated base. No radar contact made and no request for fighter scramble initiated.

Nov. 13, 1975; midwestern and southern United States
On this night in 1975 a number of multi-colored nocturnal lights were reported in the midwestern and southern United States. Sparkling white, red, and yellow lights flew in formation erratically in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Red, green, and white lights were sighted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, moving up-and-down and diagonally. In Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin bright white lights that dimmed, disappeared, and then re-appeared were sighted. In Mobile, Alabama a UFO, changing colors, moved across the horizon. A round silver object was seen moving slowly in the northwest sky in Orlando, Florida. It suddenly disappeared. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 13.)

Nov. 14, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
9:02 p.m. EST (event time). Message of Nov. 15: "0533z (12:33 a.m. EST)...UFO report from Falconbridge, occurrence time 0202z. Report sent to NCOC Surveillance, referred to Assistant Command Director Space Defense Center, and Intelligence. These three individuals considered the report a UFO report and not an unknown track report."

Nov. 15, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
6:30 a.m. EST. Lyman Paquette, his wife, plus his brother and sister in law observed one bright white object that looked like a cup in a bowl due east at 70 degrees elevation. Witnesses using binoculars observed the object climb quite high and can hardly now be seen without the aid of binoculars. The object was observed for 20 minutes. (National Research Council of Canada, Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/182)

Nov. 15, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
7:42 a.m. UFO 23rd NORAD REGION. From Falconbridge Radar Site a civilian, Oliver Kizioja, Sudbury, Ontario, at 0615 was standing in back yard facing south. Observed one bright yellow object moving up and back, leaving a tail. It was very high but did not change position in regard to other stars. He watched for 15 minutes, then called radar site. Not observed on radar.

Nov. 15, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
11:30 a.m. event. 12:29 p.m. 23rd NORAD REGION. From Falconbridge. At 1130, Lyman Paqutte, married student, residence Laurentian Univ., Sudbury, Ontario. Reported he had been looking due east, sky partly cloudy, saw one bright white object about 70° elevation, high out of range of binoculars. It climbed high out of range of binoculars. Observed for 20 minutes and witnessed by his wife, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Negative radar contact.

Nov. 15, 1975; Pacific, MO
A red flying object approached a car driven by a Mrs. Prichard with three passengers in Pacific, Missouri, then ejected several white balls of light (BOLs). The metal of the car was magnetized after the encounter. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, September 1976; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports)

Nov. 15, 1975; Marseille, France
A disc-shaped UFO rose from the sea near a large radio antenna in Marseille, France. It circled, then made a 90 degree turn to the south and flew out to sea.

Nov. 16, 1975; Curiel, Valladolid, Spain
Red ellipse hovering 1-1.5 km. away; suddenly flew away.  Flying Saucer Review, Vol. 22,  No. 6;  see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 66 (E) car

Nov. 16, 1975; Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada
9:30 p.m. EST. 17 November 1975 1705 23rd NORAD region; UFO reported 0230z from a Mr. John Dunlops, address: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada. Two objects, oval shaped with two yellow flashing lights, moving north to south, then became stationary, observed for 10 minutes, one above the other, sky was cloudy—no radar contact. Toronto AMIS advised no known traffic in area.

Nov. 17, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
24 NORAD Region UFO at 132345z (too many digits!!!) Large orange ball with 2 red lights stationary; Azimuth 045° from River Court, Ontario. No radar contact. Called in to 24th NORAD at 16-1700z. (11-12:00 EST)

Nov. 18, 1975; Kevin/Dunkirk area, MT
4:31 a.m. UFO. RAPCON notified. (NIDS UFO 20)

Nov. 18, 1975; Strathclair, Manitoba, Canada
At 6:30 a.m. Reginald Jack Langstaff while traveling in a vehicle observed a bright orange to red object with a curved dome shaped top and the sides were sloped 70 to 80 degrees. There was a lip around the bottom. The object seemed to be approximately 150 feet in the air and was traveling east towards the observer, so he started to travel away from it. He stopped after traveling a quarter of a mile and noticed the object was traveling southwest and disappeared in that direction. Langstaff observed the object for approximately 5 minutes.(Reference: Royal Canadian Mounted Police report, November 26, 1975. Shoal Lake Detachment RCMP File References: 75-700-126, National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 19, 1975; Oak Brook, IL
On this night in 1975 in Oak Brook, Illinois, a boy saw a domed disc hovering near his home. The UFO had a red light on top and two clear lights on the side. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 13).

Nov. 20, 1975; Camilla, GA
The police chief of Camilla, Georgia reported that a big, round UFO hovered just 80 meters above his police station at two a.m. It had bright lights on the top and bottom. It flew away slowly to the southeast and was in view for three minutes. (Source: Michael Hitt, Georgia UFO Phenomenon 1947-1987, p. 73).

Nov. 22, 1975; Savannah, GA
Pilots observe UFO near nuclear plant

Nov. 25, 1975; Goodridge, MN
On this night in a field nine miles west of Goodridge, Minnesota, a disc-shaped object eight feet in diameter was seen in a field. It rose off the ground, then relanded. The witness's car stalled, and later required major tune-up repair work. (Source: Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 66).

* Project Blue Book closed down on Jan 30, 1970 as NICAP established (UFO investigator May 1970 p. 5).